HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-24-2022, 01:04 PM   #1
5.9magnumjeep

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Default Advice for new guy getting started

Hope this is the right sub forum to ask this…

I want to get started in drag racing, with the aim to run stock. I got the NHRA rule book on its way and have taken the time to read through the book online already. I have built motors for rebuilds (nothing fancy just warmed up a bit from stock). I have been spending some time here reading through some interesting threads.

I currently have a stock 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 limited and a 1992 ford ranger standard cab 4 cylinder manual trans. The Jeep I rebuilt the transmission recently and did a transgo shift correction kit. Other than that, both cars are completely stock.

The advice I need is, which of my two vehicles would you choose to start racing with and why?

I can see that with the Jeep (nhra puts this in the m/s class) it has an advantage of having a 360, trailing arms that act like four bar suspension, coil springs on the rear and it’s a limited slip rear axle. Disadvantage is it’s all wheel drive. That is a lot of friction to overcome to put the power to the ground.

With the ranger, running a slow class would be cheaper and allow more room to learn to drive the track. I know that first thing would be having to swap the rear end as the current axle won’t hold up to anything more that the severely tired 2.3 Lima that’s in it right now.

Thanks in advance.

I should add that I have grown up with family members that are hot rodders, so have been around and researched building up decent v8’s. I just haven’t built a nice motor for myself yet.

Last edited by 5.9magnumjeep; 02-24-2022 at 01:08 PM.
5.9magnumjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 01:25 PM   #2
Doug Hoven

Liked 752 Times in 146 Posts
Default Re: Advice for new guy getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.9magnumjeep View Post
Hope this is the right sub forum to ask this…

I want to get started in drag racing, with the aim to run stock. I got the NHRA rule book on its way and have taken the time to read through the book online already. I have built motors for rebuilds (nothing fancy just warmed up a bit from stock). I have been spending some time here reading through some interesting threads.

I currently have a stock 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 limited and a 1992 ford ranger standard cab 4 cylinder manual trans. The Jeep I rebuilt the transmission recently and did a transgo shift correction kit. Other than that, both cars are completely stock.

The advice I need is, which of my two vehicles would you choose to start racing with and why?

I can see that with the Jeep (nhra puts this in the m/s class) it has an advantage of having a 360, trailing arms that act like four bar suspension, coil springs on the rear and it’s a limited slip rear axle. Disadvantage is it’s all wheel drive. That is a lot of friction to overcome to put the power to the ground.

With the ranger, running a slow class would be cheaper and allow more room to learn to drive the track. I know that first thing would be having to swap the rear end as the current axle won’t hold up to anything more that the severely tired 2.3 Lima that’s in it right now.

Thanks in advance.

I should add that I have grown up with family members that are hot rodders, so have been around and researched building up decent v8’s. I just haven’t built a nice motor for myself yet.
Taking a look at both of these combos, while both of these I wouldn't consider being ideal to make a low cost build, the ranger may be the better of the two. For starters I would think the 4 cylinder would be more cost effective to build. The 120 hp rating is what may make things tough. I think the stick shift helps with a low horsepower, relatively lightweight combo like that. I'm sure Billy, Mark, or Dwight would be of help with their experience of finding the most bang for buck combos in the guide. Good luck with whichever build you choose. I would even suggest starting a thread under the "class racer builds" sub forum when you start the build.
Old 02-24-2022, 01:31 PM   #3
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 700 Times in 204 Posts

It may not be listed in the guide ,but the ZJ Grands were available as 2 wheel drive models with a straight tube front axle ,as were all Jeep models . there was a fairly strong market for the rear wheel only models in southern states where the 4 wd was not really necessary and the Jeep were seen as status "driveway ornaments ". The Jeep dealership I worked for always kept at least one of each in stock
There may be potential in the combo ,but it surely will not be an inexpensive build to get it competitive .
Do a LOT of research before diving in . It may be wiser, and possibly cheaper to start with a known combo. Look into Billy Nees' posts on "DIME ROCKETS" for some ideas.
Old 02-24-2022, 01:42 PM   #4
CMcAllister

Liked 746 Times in 206 Posts

As always, buying a car, or truck, that is done and raceable, even if it's not way under, is a good idea. It will allow you to get to the track and learn how to race, which is not the same as learning how to put a car together.

Will likely save you a lot of time and money spent unwisely.
CMcAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 02:46 PM   #5
Barry Polley

Liked 555 Times in 230 Posts

WaIt till 2023 to decide your class. What’s good now m i g h t not be so good then.
Old 02-24-2022, 02:50 PM   #6
5.9magnumjeep

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Polley View Post
WaIt till 2023 to decide your class. What’s good now m i g h t not be so good then.
Is there big changes coming in 2023? Or are you referring to deciding to competing up/down or at designated class?
Old 02-24-2022, 03:05 PM   #7
Barry Polley

Liked 555 Times in 230 Posts

Quote:
Is there big changes coming in 2023? Or are you referring to deciding to competing up/down or at designated class?
NHRA has already shown there will be changes but how much is the question.
Longggg Overdue on some.
Pm sent
Old 02-24-2022, 02:46 PM   #8
5.9magnumjeep

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Goldman View Post
It may not be listed in the guide ,but the ZJ Grands were available as 2 wheel drive models with a straight tube front axle ,as were all Jeep models . there was a fairly strong market for the rear wheel only models in southern states where the 4 wd was not really necessary and the Jeep were seen as status "driveway ornaments ". The Jeep dealership I worked for always kept at least one of each in stock
There may be potential in the combo ,but it surely will not be an inexpensive build to get it competitive .
Do a LOT of research before diving in . It may be wiser, and possibly cheaper to start with a known combo. Look into Billy Nees' posts on "DIME ROCKETS" for some ideas.
That is good info to know, I have never really been a Jeep guy. This one came in to the shop I used to work at with a hurt transmission. Bought from the customer for $200, got it home and pulled it apart. Snap ring leg go in the rear half of the case, which caused a bunch of havoc everywhere else. So far I’m only into it $1000 including purchase and it drives great now.

Makes me wonder about finding a front tube axle setup, pull the transfer case and put on the tail shaft housing from a dodge truck with the 46re.
Old 02-24-2022, 04:03 PM   #9
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,791 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Ya know, I have to say this just to get it out of the way, an awful lot of Stocker projects that are started with all good intentions never get finished.

My advice?
Do a project that you know you can get done AND afford to get done.
Don't start a project just because you have the car.
If you want to go fast, don't build a lower class car.
If you want to build cheap, don't build a higher class car.
The Jeep is an interesting combo (and a good one) but it won't be cheap OR easy.
The Ranger could be a good combo but it could get expensive in a hurry if you're not a good DIYer.
There are a good many "starter" combos out there that you should be able to get and finish without getting disgusted and/or broke.

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 04:06 PM   #10
doglover44
VIP Member

Liked 395 Times in 182 Posts

Never seen a Jeep in Stock before