HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-25-2020, 06:26 PM   #1
B Parker

Liked 2,311 Times in 454 Posts
Default Here's a Pontiac

One of my customers brought these in. He said he bought it new in 1966. He told me he blew it up years ago right in front of my burger place when it was a Friendly's. Said he was trying to keep up with a Chevy Camaro. LOL
Thought I would post it for the twenty five Pontiac fans. BP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PONTIAC 2+2.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	53987   Click image for larger version

Name:	PONTIAC 2+2..jpg
Views:	556
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	53988  
B Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:58 PM   #2
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,772 Times in 1,519 Posts
Default Re: Here's a Pontiac

Cool car Barry.
Now, I'm not complaining and I'm not picking on you but the window sticker is for a 66 and the picture is of a 67. And the only reason that I know that is because one of the baddest street cars in my home town was a 67 Cat. 2+2, 428/4speed. That boat kicked a lot of Camaros, Mustangs, Darts and Dusters butts out on the streets.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-25-2020, 07:50 PM   #3
oldskool
VIP Member

Liked 750 Times in 361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Parker View Post
One of my customers brought these in. He said he bought it new in 1966. He told me he blew it up years ago right in front of my burger place when it was a Friendly's. Said he was trying to keep up with a Chevy Camaro. LOL
Not sure if you posted this as a joke, or a put down of some sort.

Anyhow, my wife & I both probably beat more Camaros than any other single car model, during our racing years. And most definitely more Chevy powered cars than any other brand, since there were always more of 'em than any other brand, everywhere we raced. This was in the poor deep South. So, they were not running Chevy because they were so great, but because the parts were so dirt cheap, especially used parts.

Entered lots of races as the only Pontiac powered cars at the track. Never had to run heads-up, so we were not afraid to run anybody's high dollar Chevy. All we had to do was cut better lights & run consistent times, which we did, better than the Chevy guys, at lots of races. Not braggin, that's just the way it was. That didn't make our Pontiacs better than all Chevy models, but proved they were plenty good to win races.

And, Chevy powered cars were NOT the fastest cars in my area, growing up. That could however be said of some area Mopars, such as a couple of 426 HEMI cars, and several 440 cars, including at least one 440 Six-Pack Challenger.

As for the 25 Pontiac fans deal. I can probably name a lot more competitive Pontiac Stockers than that, off the top of my head, not to mention all the Pontiac "fans" out there.

Since the cheap Chinese forged rods & stroker cranks hit the market, the Pontiac hobby has made a comeback. There are now LOTS of hp Pontiac powered street cars & bracket racers all over the country now. Lots of restorations have been done.

It's easy now to build a 500hp Pontiac pump gas street or street/strip engine, using a factory iron block & heads. And for those who want more, there are aftermarket blocks & heads, making 1000hp N/A builds almost common now. Quite a few have gone over 1200. Don't know what the current record is.

Anyhow, Pontiac engines have a little more potential than they use to have. Like most other brands, a "Pontiac" engine can now be built without using a single factory part. Everything you need, is now available, aftermarket.

Do Pontiac engines have more potential than a Chevy engine ? NO

Can they make respectable power & be competitive in some drag classes ? Yes.

Sorry for the rant. Well, I'll have to repent for that. I ain't sorry a bit. I love to talk about Pontiacs, always have & always will. That's just me. To each, his own.

PS: No offense meant to anyone. I just love Pontiacs. Always have. Always will !
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-25-2020, 09:10 PM   #4
B Parker

Liked 2,311 Times in 454 Posts

Old School I was kidding about the Pontiacs. I have had a few threw the years. Always thought the GTO was one of the nicest cars out there. Billy one of my older customers was looking at some of the old car books I have on display at the burger place. We started talking about some of the old cars and he told me about that one he bought new years ago. I never heard about that car before. I asked him if he had any pictures of it. Today he brought the picture and the sticker in. I was making ice cream all day and didn't get a chance to ask him about the car. He left the pictures at the front counter for me and left. To me the picture looks like and ad. Thought either way it was cool so I posted it. When I see him again I'll ask more. He did tell me he blew it up years ago. No not chasing a Camaro. BP Sorry Old Scholl.
B Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:31 AM   #5
john corcoran jr

Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts

Right now I have a 68 Grand Prix in the building for storage this winter. It is a 428, 4 speed, 8 lug wheels, hood tach, black vinyl top, bench seat, Verdoro green paint and a sunroof. It is definitely a different beast.
john corcoran jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:58 AM   #6
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Parker View Post
AFB? No Tri-Power? booo
Old 02-26-2020, 12:30 PM   #7
John Kissel

Liked 232 Times in 94 Posts

Billy, I seem to remember a similar car at E-Town,it was black, and I think the guy who had it was John Mason. The car was a beast, and won.John Kissel K242
John Kissel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:58 PM   #8
oldskool
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kissel View Post
Billy, I seem to remember a similar car at E-Town,it was black, and I think the guy who had it was John Mason. The car was a beast, and won.John Kissel K242
Wasn't this one, was it ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	428 Heavyweight..jpg
Views:	341
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	53990  
Old 02-26-2020, 01:10 PM   #9
oldskool
VIP Member

There have been a few big Pontiac Stockers, from the last half of the '60's.

Here's one I like, from div 3. Looks to be named "Walton's Mountain". Actually looks like he spelled it Mountian, on the car. Makes me wonder if he later discovered the mistake, & changed it. Or maybe just left it that way, on purpose. Driver's last name is Walton. Can't make out the 1st name.

Anybody remember this car ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Walton's Mountain .jpg
Views:	271
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	53991  

Last edited by oldskool; 02-26-2020 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:22 PM   #10
R. Thorne

Liked 43 Times in 24 Posts

As I have stated before, his name was Bruce Walton. Later, he ran a 1974 GTO for many years.
R. Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked