HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech

Old 12-21-2008, 03:38 AM   #1
novanicks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Shogun Stop It - does it work?

Has anyone used the Shogun Stop It? (see link below)

https://www.shogunindustries.com/cgi...ew_item=101003

If so, does it actually work?
novanicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:25 AM   #2
R&S Motorsports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Shogun Stop It - does it work?

Its a type of electrical surge protector for the solinoid. Basicly like the one that is protecting your computer or TV just a bit different.
R&S Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:06 AM   #3
Bryan Gillespie
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I ran one in the nova, it seem to keep the spread closer together
Or it could have been that there was nothing else to blame.
Bryan Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:05 PM   #4
GaryGoFast

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Talking Re: Shogun Stop It - does it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Gillespie View Post
I ran one in the nova, it seem to keep the spread closer together
Or it could have been that there was nothing else to blame.
I had one, never new if it was working, Cant say it hurt either. How do you see the effects of it working?
Old 12-21-2008, 07:31 PM   #5
Ruth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGoFast View Post
I had one, never new if it was working, Cant say it hurt either. How do you see the effects of it working?
This illustration:

is a lab scope capture of a fuel injector but the same in theory.

A. Shows the 12 volt supply voltage.

B. Shows the voltage being pulled low as the trans brake button is being applied.

C. Shows the release of the Trans brake button and the inductive kick 60 VDC.

D. When the trans brake solenoid button is released , the magnetic field collapses, and this generates the inductive kick

If inductive kick was an issue for you, and the box worked as they claim it does…..at the release of the transbrake button you would no longer have that spike above 12vdc when the solenoid is released,

I have tested my car a few times over the years and never seen a issue with inductive kick. I believe this is product nothing more than a clipping diode? but I have never seen the inside of one, so I have no idea? Maybe the experts can chime in and elaborate?

I was told years ago by one of the manufactures of throttle stop timers I believe Biondo? ( I use a Mega 400) that the Mega 400 has diode protection built in, as does the Dedenbear and some other manufactures (so I was told….. and by no means to be taken as a fact)

Anyway you can measure inductive kick with a lab scope, a good graphing multi-meter, even a Digital Volt Ohm Meter. Set the DVOM to volts DC on min –max screen to catch it. Connect the - lead to a known good ground and the + lead to anyplace you want to test for high voltage and hold and release the trans brake button and measure the results)

I remember years back someone talking about inductive kick interfering with things like your throttle stop timer.....I guess thats possible? I run a position sensor on my throttle stop to my RacePak datalog to monitor for anomalies in stop time and position. (Thanks to H&C&G&G Racing for the help.)

Most of my issues to date are pilot error!

I’m writing a book on called “1001 Ways to lose” and am now working on chapter 239

HTH
Merry Christmas

Last edited by Ruth; 12-21-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:16 PM   #6
novanicks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the replys.

So Ruth, bottom line do you think it's worth running one? Also, do you think it would add more benefit to a non-delay box car?
novanicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:51 AM   #7
Raceready

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Shogun Stop It - does it work?

I used one for 3 races and 1 TNT, I had the most erratic reaction times I've ever had in 20 tears of racing.I took it and put it back in the box and was gonna ship it back and tell'em I wanted a refund but I figured that would be a waste of my time and money.I have about a .015 to .020 reaction time window,and once in a while I would have that WTF did that come from .045 light,and it was always in th 5th or 6 th round after a string of .015 or better reaction times. That is what the Stop It, is SUPPOSED TO CURE. Well, with it my reaction times were ALL OVER THE PLACE.I mean a swing of .015-.060,took it off and reaction times came right back where they were.I've hit the tree enough to know if I missed it.Anybody wants one I will sell it,almost new in the box.25.00 plus shipping.Thats half price and ten times more than it's worth.!! IMHO.
Raceready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:02 AM   #8
ChevyII

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

All,

Put one in this year while we completely redid the car including the wiring with a K & R wiring kit. After analyzing all of my runs for the year, we had our most consistent year for reaction times, round wins and race wins. Now, the old guy driving needs some work but the car certainly did what it was supposed to do.

Can't say for sure it was the "Stop It" but we had some great results.

Mike Ferstl
SG SR 6091
ChevyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:51 AM   #9
mannymen

Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts

Can someone who owns a STOP IT use Ruth's test procedures as noted to actually verify whether it works. Better years than others and winning more rounds doesn't say much for validating the product.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:10 PM   #10
SG1809

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Had one and was having tons of problems with reaction times. I spoke to a couple of respected Trans guys and they told take it out and one told me to throw it in the lake at E town. I did and the car went back to normal.
I went one further and took it apart, scraped the rubber goo of it and I found a Capacitor and a Resistor wired in parallel. I called an Electronic Guru friend of mine and explained what I found and he told me it was a 1ohm resitor and a diode so that the voltage would not feed back. I measured the resistor and it was way off, something like 8 ohms of resistance. So that's like adding delay in the box. Also when I went to buy, it was explained that this maintained a constant voltage to the Trans brake solonoid. When I took it apart I expected to find some kind of circuit board or voltage filtering system, nothing like that.

I still have it to show people at the track when they ask about it. As far as the parts value, probably about $2.00.
My opinion and others, leave it out.

Regards,

Pat I
SG1809
SG1809 is offline   Reply With Quote