HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-28-2024, 02:18 PM   #11
Pauley

Liked 49 Times in 7 Posts
Default Re: RPM dip doing onto stop, w/ racepak graphs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil S/ST View Post
You looked good at SGMP until Webb kinda ran over everyone! Myers was too.
The Webbs are good people and very tough to beat. it seems i have to run Donald or Chris every week. Donald gave me the lap that I was expecting and unfortunately i missed the tree a little. 27 up front will typically not get it done so i knew at the 1000' it was not looking good for me. no choice but to quit and hope. Donald rarely makes a mistake and when i do i pay for it.

i agree with above posts. i feel rpm is too low and shifting on time will clean some things up. would like to know if it is gas or alk

ep
Pauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 06:01 PM   #12
triplezero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauley View Post
The Webbs are good people and very tough to beat. it seems i have to run Donald or Chris every week. Donald gave me the lap that I was expecting and unfortunately i missed the tree a little. 27 up front will typically not get it done so i knew at the 1000' it was not looking good for me. no choice but to quit and hope. Donald rarely makes a mistake and when i do i pay for it.

i agree with above posts. i feel rpm is too low and shifting on time will clean some things up. would like to know if it is gas or alk

ep
4150 carb, Luke Seibert 1000
Electric shift
Gas, C12
triplezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 06:04 PM   #13
triplezero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny5160_v2 View Post
This setup is pretty similar to mine, although you have more power and are 200 lbs lighter.

Shifting on time would cost a lot of MPH. I wouldn't do that. I'd probably go up a bit on the cruise RPM to 4300 or so.

I go on the stop at .500 to get things moving. You seem to have a similar thought. Moving that timer would be a good thing to try, but I don't know which way might be helpful in this case.

Do you have a crossover hose on your carb bowl vent tubes? Maybe some fuel slosh.

Intermittent issues are always the worst.
I'd like to go to a higher cruise but with a higher cruise I'll have to run more numbers and then I'll be coming off the stop and shift right away, so I was thinking if I do go higher cruise then try to move the first number from .4 to .3 or .25 to help keep the second number under 2.4 seconds and keep the run at the shift.

Yes, on the crossover tube.
Old 03-28-2024, 06:10 PM   #14
triplezero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny5160_v2 View Post
This setup is pretty similar to mine, although you have more power and are 200 lbs lighter.

Shifting on time would cost a lot of MPH. I wouldn't do that. I'd probably go up a bit on the cruise RPM to 4300 or so.

I go on the stop at .500 to get things moving. You seem to have a similar thought. Moving that timer would be a good thing to try, but I don't know which way might be helpful in this case.

Do you have a crossover hose on your carb bowl vent tubes? Maybe some fuel slosh.

Intermittent issues are always the worst.
I agree on not shifting on time, with the 4.10 gear I'd have to run a really high cruise to keep it from making huge swings good to bad weather. It would put me back near 130-131.

And shifting on time I'd probably be .5 minimum which is after the dip so it probably would make the car more consistent but I don't think it'd fix that problem.
Old 03-29-2024, 08:48 AM   #15
Pauley

Liked 49 Times in 7 Posts

if it were me i would try going on .20 shift at .70 pull rpm up to 4400. you can move the on and shift times if you like to get what you want in 60'. the shift time will typically be 2 to 1. meaning moving the shift .02 will move 60' .01. i would not get tangled up in my mph as long as it repeats and is predictable. trust me, i am not fast either but my car is relatively predictable so it doesn't matter that much to me. i will lose 3 mph in the 1/8 shifting on time vs. rpm.

make a few runs pulling the rpm up and shifting on time. see what the graph looks like and if it is consistent and exactly how much mph difference there is. if you dont like it you can always change it up. also you can move the shift time around to clean up dips and make it better.

also if you stay with rpm i would still pull the rpm up on the stop. try that and see what it looks like. i wouldnt worry about creep as long as it repeats. i had a set up one time that creeped 1000 rpm when the stop came off but it was nasty.

i agree with lenny about something on the vents to insure you are not sloshing fuel when it goes on the stop. i have a hose that runs from one vent to the other. there are 1000 ways to make a stop work. that is why you have to spend a lot of time testing and playing with things.

ep
Pauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 03-29-2024, 10:32 AM   #16
Lenny5160_v2

Liked 156 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplezero View Post
I'd like to go to a higher cruise but with a higher cruise I'll have to run more numbers and then I'll be coming off the stop and shift right away, so I was thinking if I do go higher cruise then try to move the first number from .4 to .3 or .25 to help keep the second number under 2.4 seconds and keep the run at the shift.

Yes, on the crossover tube.
I don't think you need to worry about the stop/shift relationship with a higher cruise RPM. It still needs to load the converter and then run up to the shift point. Not much will change there.
Old 04-03-2024, 04:43 AM   #17
J&S Racing

Liked 288 Times in 78 Posts

I chased that creep for a long time. Ended up being the converter
J&S Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-03-2024, 02:14 PM   #18
JP1738

Liked 259 Times in 84 Posts

I go on at .30, cruise at 4250-4300 with a CO2 stop and a really fat 30 year old carburetor. That set-up has been pretty good to me in 1/4 mile SST. 383 sbc at 2830lbs (6.30s W/O at that weight), usually 137 mph depending on weather and track.

I change mine to shift on RPM when I run 1/8th mile SST or any S/G, but I use the same .30 on and cruise speed, just add numbers on the back end. Just changing the shift to RPM usually gets me close to 6.90 given I have to go around 7.25 to the 1/8 to get me 10.90 in the 1/4 when shifting on time.

It does dip a bit, but not enough to hear or affect much. I can see it on my Mega 400 RPM playback but the resolution is not very fine. Might be worse than I think it is but I think I'd rather just not know. Ignorance is bliss.

Despite being slow, I'm more of a "get me close and figure it out before the finish line" kinda guy. Also never really had a T-stop ratio, I just try to get it close.
#2827 N/SA 1980 Malibu SW 2S 305/180
#2827 S/ST 1978 Mazda RX7 w/ 383 sbc/glide
JP1738 is offline   Reply With Quote