HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Stock/Super Stock Associations > Carolina Class Racers Association

Old 05-04-2023, 12:19 PM   #11
Tabitha Draughon

Liked 656 Times in 214 Posts
Default Re: CCRA Crew Chief Spotlight

CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association Crew Chief Spotlight

We're going to take a short drive up I-95 South to Pembroke, NC; home of Ms. Linda Faye Hunt. She is 71 years young (I hope I look as great at 71 as Ms. Linda does) & has been crew chief for Dell Gene Britt for 12 years now. I think she made the comment at zMAX DRAGWAY last weekend that Dell was initially only supposed to get 5 years of her time but here they are now at year 12 & not appearing to be slowing down anything soon 😉. She got involved in racing at her home town track 710 Dragway. Ms. Linda says that her favorite track is the beautiful Bristol Dragway. She is still waiting for him to get a win in NHRA- NHRA Southeast Division 2 Stock Eliminator but when everything finally falls into place for Dell, I'm sure it will be a huge celebration! Some of her duties as crew chief for Dell include helping with the dial-in, parking the car, & sitting around waiting for a win! Her least favorite job as crew chief is listening to his complaining which goes hand & hand with Dell's biggest complaint as a driver, when the car doesn't do what he thought it would do. Linda's funny racing story comes from an NHRA Southeast Division 2 race at Orlando Speed World Dragway. For those that has never been there, it is surrounded by animals on the pit side back row & entrance road. Dell thought a donkey could give him advise & make him like the track. Oh my, I've got to hear more details of this story when I see Dell & Linda at the track next!

Dell & Linda races NHRA Southeast Division 2 races, some NHRA national events as well as all CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association races. Dell aka Spanky is involved in other hobbies other than drag racing to keep him busy on the off weekends from the track. They are involved in tractor pulling & Dell is also a phenomenal cook. Dell will probably be in competition this weekend at Mooresville Dragway for the NHRA Southeast Division 2 race if weather holds out. We look forward to having Dell & Ms. Linda back with us in June for our "now" season opener at KDS Motorsports.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lh1.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	67185  
Tabitha Draughon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 03:03 PM   #12
Tabitha Draughon

Let's take a little road trip to Greenville, NC this week to focus on Mr. Monnie Morris. He is 75 years young & is new to his role of crew chief for the 2023 racing season. In the past CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association seasons, the roles have been reversed & Kelly was crew chief for his dad Monnie but this year, Kelly took over the driving duties of the family Ford Maverick. Mr. Monnie got his start in racing at KDS Motorsports at about 16 years old so he has definitely put in his years behind the wheel. Kelly is new to the driver's seat so there hasn't been a most memorable win yet & if I had to guess, they will celebrate round wins right now instead of race wins. Mr. Monnie says that KDS Motorsports is his favorite track. Some of his new duties include checking tire pressure, putting fuel in the car, & keeping the batteries charged. He stated that his least favorite job of crew chief is trying to figure out the dial-in. Dad says that Kelly's biggest complaint is hot weather & of course I think we are at that time of the year now. One of the funny stories out of The Morris Racing Team comes from Rockingham Dragway a few years ago & I'd be willing to bet it was a NHRA Southeast Division 2 race (most will understand). They had a "loud" generator & after about an hour of it running nonstop, the guy next to them said if they would cut their generator off, they could run whatever they needed to off his.

Monnie & Kelly can typically be found at all CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association races & some local NHRA Southeast Division 2 races. The Morris' is a rather quiet bunch & stays to themselves at the track & doesn't like to ask others for any help when needed but one year at Coastal Plains Raceway Park Dragway, Leigh Anne & myself didn't give them much choice except to allow fellow racers to assist them & get the car back going from a starter issue. Kelly has a great teacher in Mr. Monnie & I feel like in no time, you'll see Kelly racking up rounds wins with a race win soon as well. We will look forward to seeing Kelly in competition at our next CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association race in June at KDS Motorsports.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mm12.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	67263  

Last edited by Tabitha Draughon; 05-11-2023 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-18-2023, 12:23 PM   #13
Tabitha Draughon

This man needs no introduction to CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association as he's a staple at our races but we're still going to put him in the spotlight this week. Mr. J.V. Haynes III, 71 years young, of Stanstonburg, NC, is the head crew chief for Doug Hobgood & has been holding this title for 15 years now. Whew, I don't know how Mrs. Katie has dealt with him for that long 🤣! Mr. Doug is also that one that introduced JV to the great sport of drag racing that we all love. J.V. says that his most memorable win with Doug was in Richmond, VA. I'd need clarification if this was at Virginia Motorsports Park or the old Richmond Dragway. However he list Coastal Plains Raceway Park Dragway as his favorite track. J.V.'s duties as crew chief include checking tire pressure, putting gas in the car, & helping in the water box. Based off the 2nd picture I posted with him pointing his finger in the finals of the CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association at KDS Motorsports, I'd say money is being discussed & I can tell you first hand not to give any of Doug's money to J.V. because Doug will never see it 😂😂😂!!! His says that his least favorite part of the job is waiting. This is a prime example where I say Mrs. Katie has tons of patience. He'll get bored, ride off on his yellow scooter, & stop to "shut the breeze" with fellow racers. J.V. says that Doug's biggest complaint with him as his crew chief is that he eats too much. In other words, the refrigerator is empty at the end of a weekend race. His funny story regarding racing was when Mr. Doug won his first IHRA Ironman & he had a .000 reaction time.

The H&f performance SS Camaro mainly runs CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association nowadays but you might find them at some local NHRA Southeast Division 2 races once Mr. Doug & Mrs. Katie sell their business & retire. During the meantime, we hope that they have taken the time to get their hot rod ready for our now first race of the 2023 season coming up June 3rd & 4th at KDS Motorsports. It's been way too long without me seeing & picking on Mr. J.V. & I'd lying if I said I didn't miss him. 😉
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	jv2.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	67285   Click image for larger version

Name:	jv1.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	67286  
Old 05-24-2023, 04:07 PM   #14
Tabitha Draughon

This week we travel to Wilson, NC; home of Mrs. Debbie Morgan. She is 67 years young & is the crew chief for her husband, Jim Morgan. She got involved in racing when she married Mr. Jim & has been crewing for him for 25 years now. Mrs. Debbie says that her most memorable win was Mr. Jim's Nostalgia race win at GALOT Motorsports Park in 2021 I do believe. She also says that GALOT Motorsports Park is her favorite track & she mentions their clean restrooms. Her crew chief duties includes making sure to keep her driver fed, making sure he drinks plenty of liquids, & assists with loading/unloading the trailer. Although loading/unloading the trailer is part of her duties, she mentions that it is her least favorite part of the job. Her driver's biggest complain is him stepping on the brake pedal too much &/or too soon. One of their funny stories involving racing is once the golf cart slide off the ramp. We probably need to get more details on this story as well.

You will find Mr. Jim & Mrs. Debbie racing with CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association, local NHRA Southeast Division 2 races, & some local Nostalgia races as well. They missed our first attempt of racing this year in March at Coastal Plains Raceway Park Dragway. I think I spied his car getting a new set of custom headers built a few weeks ago by Hippie Fabrication/Jaymes Rawlings. My hopes are that the car is ready for competition & we will see them at our now "first" race of the 2023 season at KDS Motorsports in a little over a week. See y'all at the track very soon!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dm2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	67315  
Old 05-31-2023, 04:48 PM   #15
Tabitha Draughon

Finley Dalrymple from Wake Forest, NC is our youngest crew chief so far in CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association. He is 14 years of age & is the head crew chief for his grandfather, Mr. Joe Huestis. Finley has held this title for the last 3 years but he's hoping in about 2 years, that the roles are reversed. He obviously got into racing by attending races with Grandpa Joe. Although 2 years doesn't seem like a lot, Finley has to prove to Grandpa Joe that he can cut better reaction times than him before Mr. Joe is willing to give up the driver's seat 😀. Finley says that Farmington Dragway is his favorite track. We hope they are able to get the necessary repairs done to their track so CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association can make their yearly appearance there later in August. There isn't yet a win that is memorable between Mr. Joe & Finley but Mr. Joe went 3 rounds at the GALOT Motorsports Park NHRA Southeast Division 2 race & that was exciting for them. His crew chief duties include checking tire pressure, helping with the weather station, & keeping track of the log book. Finley thinks like a lot of us do I'm sure when he states that his least favorite part of the job is "hurry up & wait". His driver's biggest complaint is the inconsistent reaction times. Finley recalls a funny racing story being the one time that the race car starting rolling off the trailer with no one behind the wheel & Papa Joe chasing the car in the pits. He said he's never seen Papa Joe move so fast to get the car stopped. 🤣

Papa Joe & Finley can be found on race weekends running with CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association & some local NHRA Southeast Division 2 races. We look forward to seeing Mr. Joe & Finley this coming weekend as we "re-kick" our CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association season at KDS Motorsports. Be sure to stop by & tell them hello!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fin11.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	67492   Click image for larger version

Name:	fin22.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	67493   Click image for larger version

Name:	fin33.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	67494  

Old 06-01-2023, 11:18 AM   #16
DRAKE VISCOME

Liked 89 Times in 33 Posts
Smile Re: CCRA Crew Chief Spotlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabitha Draughon View Post

Finley Dalrymple from Wake Forest, NC is our youngest crew chief so far in CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association. He is 14 years of age & is the head crew chief for his grandfather, Mr. Joe Huestis. Finley has held this title for the last 3 years but he's hoping in about 2 years, that the roles are reversed. He obviously got into racing by attending races with Grandpa Joe. Although 2 years doesn't seem like a lot, Finley has to prove to Grandpa Joe that he can cut better reaction times than him before Mr. Joe is willing to give up the driver's seat 😀. Finley says that Farmington Dragway is his favorite track. We hope they are able to get the necessary repairs done to their track so CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association can make their yearly appearance there later in August. There isn't yet a win that is memorable between Mr. Joe & Finley but Mr. Joe went 3 rounds at the GALOT Motorsports Park NHRA Southeast Division 2 race & that was exciting for them. His crew chief duties include checking tire pressure, helping with the weather station, & keeping track of the log book. Finley thinks like a lot of us do I'm sure when he states that his least favorite part of the job is "hurry up & wait". His driver's biggest complaint is the inconsistent reaction times. Finley recalls a funny racing story being the one time that the race car starting rolling off the trailer with no one behind the wheel & Papa Joe chasing the car in the pits. He said he's never seen Papa Joe move so fast to get the car stopped. 🤣

Papa Joe & Finley can be found on race weekends running with CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association & some local NHRA Southeast Division 2 races. We look forward to seeing Mr. Joe & Finley this coming weekend as we "re-kick" our CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association season at KDS Motorsports. Be sure to stop by & tell them hello!!!
Joe Huestis & family... long SPECIAL...can be found in Webster's...under CLASS...imagine that
DRAKE VISCOME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 10:54 PM   #17
Tabitha Draughon

This week we take a short trip up I-95 South to Rowland, NC; home of Mr. Marvin Strickland Jr aka Bootie. Marvin is 66 years young & is crew chief for his son, Joseph. He has been holding this title for the past 7 years after giving up the driver's seat to Joseph. He got involved in racing from his father racing Modified Eliminator before he took over at the young age of 14. At that point, he started running IHRA & NHRA Stock Eliminator after experiencing Bristol Dragway's Spring Nationals in the 70's. Marvin says that GALOT Motorsports Park is his favorite track & his most memorable win came at GALOT Motorsports Park from Joseph's CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association win in 2021. His crew chief duties include recording the weather & time slip data after each run. Marvin says his least favorite part of the crew chief position is paying for the diesel fuel in the motorhome to get to the track. Joseph's biggest complaint about his crew chief dad is that he talks too much. Anyone that knows Marvin knows he loves to talk & cut up! ;-) When asked about a funny racing story, the reply I got was "everyone that knows me, knows I'm an a**hole so everything is funny".

The Strickland Racing team races NHRA Southeast Division 2, some NHRA national events as well as the CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association. Joseph won on day #1 at KDS Motorsports just a few short weeks ago. I don't think they will be in attendance at our next race at Coastal Plains Raceway Park Dragway on June 24th & 25th as I think they are going on a family cruise. Joseph just recently graduated from UNC Charlotte, taken a new job, & is also getting married later in this year so racing might have to take a backseat in 2023. We look forward to having them race with us when their schedule allows.

See y'all at the track soon!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FB_IMG_1686797635516.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	67676  
Old 06-29-2023, 01:42 PM   #18
Tabitha Draughon

Danny Waters Sr, from LaGrange, NC, gets all of the focus this week. He is 69 years young & is the crew chief for his son, Danny Waters Jr. Danny Sr. has held this title for 30+ years & hopes that there is many more years to come. Danny Sr. got involved in racing from his father & his brother & has now passed it along to his son & grandson, Crayden. Danny states that KDS Motorsports is his favorite track & if he would have given any other answer, I would have been in complete shock. KDS Motorsports is home to Danny Waters Motorsports & there has been tons of memories shared between their family at this facility. His most memorable win with his son, Danny Jr, came from the old IHRA days when they actually ran one another in a finals (not sure of the class or track but maybe one of them will chime in & share). I'm sure you are all familiar with Danny Sr. but holding a different title. He is also the head of tech for CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association & the "official" card drawer. He stays very busy at the track whether he is in his crew chief role or CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association role. As far as his crew chief duties, he sums it up & says "almost everything"! Danny says that his least favorite job is loading & unloading the cars & I think we've heard that quite a few times from other crew chiefs this year. As driver, Danny Jr's, biggest complaint is there isn't enough time to play golf during the racing outings. Danny Sr. laughingly says that there is something funny that happens at every race & that there are too many memories to list them all.

The Waters Racing Family can be found at local tracks such as KDS Motorsports, Coastal Plains Raceway Park Dragway, & GALOT Motorsports Park as well as some big money bracket races. Most will recall a little over a month ago, Mr. Danny's Stock Eliminator car had a misfortunate accident with son, Danny Jr. behind the wheel while working on it at Danny Jr's shop. Luckily, Danny Jr. didn't suffer any major injuries but was sore for several days to follow & his shop took quite a beating. I've talked to both Sr. & Jr. & the repairs to the shop are close to completion which means the car is next on the list. We hope to see Danny Sr. or Danny Jr. back behind the wheel of the Camaro before years end at a CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association race. Be sure to tell them hello next time you see them at the track!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dw1.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	67782  
Old 07-06-2023, 01:52 PM   #19
Tabitha Draughon

Ms. Janine Mathis from Snow Hill, NC is our Crew Chief to focus on this week. She is 63 years young & is crew chief for our very own, Mr. Dennis Pope. She has fulfilled this position for approximately 2 years now. Dennis is also the one to blame for getting Ms. Janine involved in the racing scene. She says that GALOT Motorsports Park is her favorite track. Although Dennis has had multiple wins over the last 2 years, especially at Rockingham Dragway, Janine has had other obligations & was unable to be present to share one of his wins with him. (Yes I've talked total junk to her about this on multiple occasions &#129315 She says that her duties as crew chief is making sure Dennis has everything he needs. She has also been a help with several events that we've held at the tracks & also like the pic posted, she's one heck of a babysitter!!! Washing & cleaning the racecar is the least favorite part of her crew chief duties. Janine states that Dennis' biggest complaint is that awful 🔴bulb that none of us like to see. Although Janine didn't list any funny racing stories for me to share, I'd probably say that having her sister with her at one of our races at Farmington Dragway a couple of years is one of her highlights. These two ladies definitely had a fun couple of days at the track.

Dennis typically races all CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association as well as some local NHRA Southeast Division 2 races. As stated above, I think Rockingham Dragway has became his favorite track over the last few years as he has a winning record there so I know he is looking forward to our upcoming CCRA-Carolina Class Racers Association event there in August. Our next race has been rescheduled twice already so we're hoping that the 3rd time is the charm & we can complete our race at Coastal Plains Raceway Park Dragway. Looks like I'll need to talk quite a bit of junk to Janine between now & them so she'll be in attendance at our remaining races for the 2023 season.

We look forward to seeing everything in a few short weeks. Mother Nature, please be nice to us! 🤞🤞🤞
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	jm.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	67808