No AHFS (I have NOT raced there in last 10 years) 77 30.31%
Yes AHFS (I have NOT raced there in last 10 years) 26 10.24%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2021, 10:25 PM   #21
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 655 Times in 255 Posts
Default Re: Indy AHFS Poll

I'm only .3 under and I voted no. I want to see who's has what it takes. I'm not a fan about racing to 1000 ft to save a combo throughout the rest of the year. If I am able to receive a reduction then yes I will take it. That's the rules we are given. I'm slow because I do not have the time to test, build another from my mistakes on the first one. Turn them loose at Indy.
Jeff Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:24 AM   #22
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 839 Times in 293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Perrone View Post
So looking at who doesn’t AHFS in effect are the folks that are stupid fast.
Definitely hard working money spending racers
Most of you could use a little HP. My opinion
So why bitch about it being in effect?
Chances are your gonna win CLASS
And this is why AHFS is needed
Indy is the only race to possible to get HP hits to even out the playing field.
I hope the AHFS stays in effect
No more mulligans. This ain’t golf.
The Sportsnationals runs class in similar air as Indy. Cars from all regions show up to run that event. Did you notice all these horse power hits your hoping to find? No, because people, at least most people, are not willing to kill their combo's on purpose. In the final of my class at the Sports, I ask my opponent what was the game plan. His exact quote was "I'm not going to kill my combo, I'll tell ya that" . I said ok, "I'll set up for a second under". There are deals being made to lift at the 1000, I've even been involved on both participants running max weight, with the same restrictor plates and meeting at the scales to monitor each other before heading up to the staging area. Instead of having the pop...sizzle.. and excitement of watching that scoreboard light up and think "what the keck, how's he run that fast !!" You want to turn it into just another event, a boring one....Let Indy be something BIG, have a reason to call it the BIG GO.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:45 AM   #23
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,453 Times in 1,956 Posts

It was the Cowboy Cadillac in V/S. We worked so hard on everything that would make it run fast.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 11:38 AM   #24
RJ Sledge

Liked 247 Times in 78 Posts

Get rid of the AHFS altogether and find another "System" with some teeth.

What about Teardowns? I don't think its in the cards of NHRA and not worth the extra money it would take to hire and train new Tech people.

If you can Legally run 1.00 under @ Indy I'm impressed, but you need to be looked at thoroughly by somebody that knows.

If you can protect your index at all the other races, why not at Indy? If you can't you need HP. Simple.

Why do some Combo's get 20-35 HP reductions?
Why do the New Combo's get such bogus ratings?

I've been on both sides of the fence and its like stealing from your competitor.
If the AHFS works leave the early Factory HP ratings alone and let the AHFS work it out, or use realistic HP ratings to begin with.

If you are going to use the AHFS, quit handicapping it? It works(?) at a snails pace and it should benefit everybody.

I agree its a good "Show" seeing people run 1.20-1.50 under and better at Indy with a 29.20BP and 2500ft DA, but it should count for the AHFS.

RJ
RJ Sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 03:11 PM   #25
Glenn Briglio
VIP Member

Liked 822 Times in 264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ Sledge View Post
Get rid of the AHFS altogether and find another "System" with some teeth.

What about Teardowns? I don't think its in the cards of NHRA and not worth the extra money it would take to hire and train new Tech people.

If you can Legally run 1.00 under @ Indy I'm impressed, but you need to be looked at thoroughly by somebody that knows.

If you can protect your index at all the other races, why not at Indy? If you can't you need HP. Simple.

Why do some Combo's get 20-35 HP reductions?
Why do the New Combo's get such bogus ratings?

I've been on both sides of the fence and its like stealing from your competitor.
If the AHFS works leave the early Factory HP ratings alone and let the AHFS work it out, or use realistic HP ratings to begin with.

If you are going to use the AHFS, quit handicapping it? It works(?) at a snails pace and it should benefit everybody.

I agree its a good "Show" seeing people run 1.20-1.50 under and better at Indy with a 29.20BP and 2500ft DA, but it should count for the AHFS.

RJ
What really needs to be done is lower the indexes.How many enhancents have been allowed since the last index reduction.
Old 05-08-2021, 03:50 PM   #26
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,789 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Briglio View Post
What really needs to be done is lower the indexes.How many enhancents have been allowed since the last index reduction.
Not all "enhancements" affect different combos in the same way! Either take away all of the "enhancements" that have been handed out like candy for the last 10 years, come up with a way to make the existing AHFS actually work (compare 1/8 mile times and 1/4 mile times, correlate 1/4 et to MPH) or just come up with a new AHFS.

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 09:24 PM   #27
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 939 Times in 259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Not all "enhancements" affect different combos in the same way! Either take away all of the "enhancements" that have been handed out like candy for the last 10 years, come up with a way to make the existing AHFS actually work (compare 1/8 mile times and 1/4 mile times, correlate 1/4 et to MPH) or just come up with a new AHFS.
Agreed, not every combo was "gifted" aftermarket Edelbrock aluminum heads, or aftermaket replacement carbs and intake manifolds either. And a small carbed, small cam and cylinder head combo may not benefit as much from solid lifters or stiff valve springs as much as some other combos.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:51 AM   #28
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,081 Times in 769 Posts

What good is it to have a car capable of running 1.5 under the index if you don't use it? The AHFS is flawed only because the indexes and horsepower ratings are out of wack. How cool were the early independent races that allowed you to showcase your cars? In my opinion it was awesome.
Mr. Downing, I voted because I'm a former racer who spent lots of money and time on my race cars, a long time member and if you don't like it, get a life.
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:15 AM   #29
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,453 Times in 1,956 Posts

The best part of the Edelbrock head is 40# off the nose. That is real important when you have 300+# in the driver’s seat. The worst part is getting the runners to size, they are way to big. In no way are they a magic Bullet. With the weight off the nose the car works better.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:29 AM   #30
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,789 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Castros View Post
What good is it to have a car capable of running 1.5 under the index if you don't use it? The AHFS is flawed only because the indexes and horsepower ratings are out of wack.
Anyone who has a combo capable of running 1.5 under the "index" in their class doesn't have an "index" problem. It's in the wrong class and running off of the wrong "index"! They have a horsepower problem!
Is all of this WOKE crap starting to influence S/SS Racing now? Ya take advantage of all of the "candy" handed out by the Tech Dept. and work the AHFS for all of the givebacks that you're entitled to and now that your combo can go 1.5 under and hurt itself ya want to change the indexes and screw the other 50 combos in the class!

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote