HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-06-2021, 09:38 PM   #1
Jason Shepard

Liked 98 Times in 23 Posts
Default Weather Stations

What are some recomendations for weather stations? What do you like? Dont like?
Jason Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:46 PM   #2
GTS340

Liked 1,069 Times in 334 Posts
Default Re: Weather Stations

free
https://airdensityonline.com/

Handy

https://kestrelinstruments.com/kestr...oaAijbEALw_wcB
GTS340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 05-08-2021, 07:31 AM   #3
SSGN

Liked 130 Times in 46 Posts

The Kestrel is hard to beat for simplicity and cost. Great company to deal with. Bought mine from Biondo a long time ago.

Kevin
SSGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:17 AM   #4
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Shepard View Post
What are some recomendations for weather stations? What do you like? Dont like?
What level are you looking to get into? Something to reference for changing conditions, or a full ET prediction suite?

For years, I used a Kestrel and either logged by hand or used a HP correction spreadsheet that I created to help with predictions. I rarely did anything with the information I was capturing.

Since 2015 I’ve been using an Altalab trailer weather station with Crew Chief Pro software. I mostly use it for predictions when running NHRA events, but when bracket racing I always enter my runs so I have a larger database to study and try to refine the prediction formulas. Blessing and a curse. You can refine the predictions but you can also get lost. Anyway, I love that the software is constantly capturing and storing the weather so I don’t need to input it.

At the time, the Altalab seemed to be the best available. Lately it seems that the Computech Race Air Cloud is pretty popular, and I believe includes their own prediction software. I don’t have any experience with their stuff so can’t comment further.

If you take your racing seriously, I’d strongly recommend a trailer-based unit.
Old 05-09-2021, 08:22 PM   #5
Jason Shepard

Liked 98 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny5160 View Post
What level are you looking to get into? Something to reference for changing conditions, or a full ET prediction suite?

For years, I used a Kestrel and either logged by hand or used a HP correction spreadsheet that I created to help with predictions. I rarely did anything with the information I was capturing.

Since 2015 I’ve been using an Altalab trailer weather station with Crew Chief Pro software. I mostly use it for predictions when running NHRA events, but when bracket racing I always enter my runs so I have a larger database to study and try to refine the prediction formulas. Blessing and a curse. You can refine the predictions but you can also get lost. Anyway, I love that the software is constantly capturing and storing the weather so I don’t need to input it.

At the time, the Altalab seemed to be the best available. Lately it seems that the Computech Race Air Cloud is pretty popular, and I believe includes their own prediction software. I don’t have any experience with their stuff so can’t comment further.

If you take your racing seriously, I’d strongly recommend a trailer-based unit.
Im running class racing around the midwest. Something for changing conditions, I dont think I would trust the ET predictor. A guy can trust that too much I think.
Jason Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 04:00 PM   #6
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

Quote:
Im running class racing around the midwest. Something for changing conditions, I dont think I would trust the ET predictor. A guy can trust that too much I think.
You're absolutely correct that it is a mistake to just shut off your brain and turn things over to the computer. At the same time, it can help bring important things to light.

As I stated before, I don't really use the ET predictions when I'm bracket racing. However, I do have the weather station up and predictions running, so I'll glance at the screen just to see generally what things look like. One day, in the short time between the time run and R1, I noticed the prediction had changed almost a tenth from what I just ran. When I looked closer, it became clear that the wind had shifted 180*. Without seeing that crazy ET number on the computer, I don't think I would have noticed that shift or approximately how to quantify it. I was prepared for the change and knew how to change my default finish line strategy accordingly.

The predictions are far from the gospel, but it's another data point to consider with all the others.

If your racing includes any 'blind' elimination runs, putting a dial on it right off the trailer, the predictions may not be right on but it'll be closer than licking my finger and holding it up.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:27 AM   #7
Don Kennedy
VIP Member

Liked 803 Times in 213 Posts

Call; Don Higgins at crew Chief Pro he can set you up with whatever you need he is very good
Old 05-11-2021, 02:11 PM   #8
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

Quote:
The ET prediction is just a tool to use to try to get a handle on your dial. Personally I don't change the data base until I change something with the car. I track the prediction and what the car actually runs and see what the difference between the actual run and the prediction. Then try to base my dial off of that trend. Barometer, humidity and wind can change wildly from day to day. I would be lost with out my weather station. I have the Altronics PC trailer based system and running their software. Their software is good but can be a little quirky at times. They do give good tech advice and response if you need help. They are almost always available via e mail if you need assistance at the race track. I did not get the paging but wish I had. Its much cheaper if you get it when you buy the system originally.
Old 05-11-2021, 03:24 PM   #9
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

If you want to learn about weather corrections in detail and more, you need Patrick Hale's "Motorsports Standard Atmosphere and Weather Correction Methods" book.

The book is aimed to the effects of weather on drag racing.

https://dragracingpro.com/books
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote