HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-12-2019, 01:01 PM   #71
Kevin Panzino

Liked 550 Times in 106 Posts
Default Re: NHRA 2020 Rule Amendment SS Intakes???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
Well said Ron, there is no substitution for hard work!
But why should it have been stopped if it is legal. Or is it not really legal? This makes it sound like the rule was broken and NHRA should have said something instead of the engine builders and racers just not breaking the rule in the first place.
Bob. I don’t understand what you are trying to infer. Please explain what RULE folks “were breaking in the first place?” Chapter and verse from rulebook or blueprint specs, please.

Last edited by Kevin Panzino; 12-12-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Kevin Panzino is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-12-2019, 01:13 PM   #72
ron morehead

Liked 110 Times in 12 Posts

Bob
They are LEGAL. If NHRA did not like what they saw over 2 years ago they should have said something then and stopped this modification. Instead they allowed more customers to have this modification done to their heads, now because they or Some Engine builders do not like this they will change a rule to suit them and put the financial burden back on the customers that made these changes.
ron morehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:44 PM   #73
Bob Smith

Liked 129 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Panzino View Post
Bob. I don’t understand what you are trying to infer. Please explain what RULE folks “were breaking in the first place?” Chapter and verse from rulebook or blueprint specs, please.
Kevin see first page posts. That is also what I am asking. For NHRA to make changes for 2020 or 2021 they must have to do with the rules, not just conversation pieces for the racers. It is confusing as to what modifications can now be made to the heads.
Bob Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 02:14 PM   #74
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

I didn't realize sheet metal intakes were allowed in SS. SS and GT mention "any manifold..." but "sheet metal allowed" isn't mentioned until the Modified section. Modified cars have one foot in Comp and one in SS.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:15 PM   #75
Erik Jones

Liked 48 Times in 6 Posts

Everyone needs to read this closely and if you don't understand it read it again.

I have been prepping cylinders heads like this a long time before anyone thought of doing it...as time goes on other guys figure it out and do the same, this has always been within the written rules. Only within the last 2 years has anyone started complaining about it as Ron stated..... So here we are with guys complaining about a certain group of people with bogus cylinder heads. The fact of the matter is Rons were cut this way and Zavalas weren't and both cars ran within .01 of each other....big F%#King deal. Its not the "Bogus heads" that make these 2 cars fast its the fact the we started at the front bumper and went to the back bumper looking for everything we could find to help....HARD WORK.

The original rule i submitted for is as follows (Proposed verbiage)

"External modifications prohibited, intake side of head may not be cut into any part of valve cover bolt holes (Except SS/AH). Valve cover bolt holes must remain unaltered in their original location . Intake manifold bolt holes must remain unaltered in their original location(Except SS/AH).

I submitted this to stop the guys that think they know what we were doing and taking it way past what it should be.... plain and simple. Well guess what that didn't fit some peoples ideas of being correct so they went over board and pitched their idea to NHRA about angles and plates...

NHRA made the correct call yesterday by implementing the logical fix to this problem. Plain and simple if you cut the heads far enough to remove the bolt holes then you are out.... if you didn't you are good. The bolt holes are what contains the OEM working envelope....

Merry Christmas to everyone! Time to get to work.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:37 PM   #76
Bob Smith

Liked 129 Times in 33 Posts

Great explanation and info Erik. Thank you for taking the time to explain and help everyone.

Merry Christmas.
Bob Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 02:48 PM   #77
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Jones View Post
Everyone needs to read this closely and if you don't understand it read it again.

I have been prepping cylinders heads like this a long time before anyone thought of doing it...as time goes on other guys figure it out and do the same, this has always been within the written rules. Only within the last 2 years has anyone started complaining about it as Ron stated..... So here we are with guys complaining about a certain group of people with bogus cylinder heads. The fact of the matter is Rons were cut this way and Zavalas weren't and both cars ran within .01 of each other....big F%#King deal. Its not the "Bogus heads" that make these 2 cars fast its the fact the we started at the front bumper and went to the back bumper looking for everything we could find to help....HARD WORK.

The original rule i submitted for is as follows (Proposed verbiage)

"External modifications prohibited, intake side of head may not be cut into any part of valve cover bolt holes (Except SS/AH). Valve cover bolt holes must remain unaltered in their original location . Intake manifold bolt holes must remain unaltered in their original location(Except SS/AH).

I submitted this to stop the guys that think they know what we were doing and taking it way past what it should be.... plain and simple. Well guess what that didn't fit some peoples ideas of being correct so they went over board and pitched their idea to NHRA about angles and plates...

NHRA made the correct call yesterday by implementing the logical fix to this problem. Plain and simple if you cut the heads far enough to remove the bolt holes then you are out.... if you didn't you are good. The bolt holes are what contains the OEM working envelope....

Merry Christmas to everyone! Time to get to work.
...and Ladies and Gentlemen, this is a great explanation and the way it has been for decades!
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:18 PM   #78
Tom Meyer

Liked 301 Times in 105 Posts

And just like that the rule has been Rescinded, look on the NHRA competition site. Tom
Old 12-12-2019, 10:01 PM   #79
Spyphish

Liked 662 Times in 174 Posts

Nothing wrong with the Hemi head except it's very heavy. Phish
Spyphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:04 AM   #80
Sean Cour

Liked 79 Times in 30 Posts

I wanted to express my gratitude toward one of the hardest working men in engine building, John Gulius. Without him developing most of the technology these engines have today, most would be blown up, or half a second slower. He is an innovator, and doesn't get the respect he deserves.
Now that NHRA has run him off with this ridiculous rule, all of his customers, including myself, will have to pick up our pieces, and figure something else out.
Thank you everyone for the selfish, disrespectful, attacking of a man, and his desire to improve within written rules.

Last edited by Sean Cour; 12-13-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Sean Cour is offline   Reply With Quote