HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-09-2019, 05:11 PM   #41
Erik Jones

Liked 48 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: NHRA 2020 Rule Amendment SS Intakes???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Worner View Post
To answer your question, No. I've heard of brands like Edelbrock, Wilson and Hogans, but not Jones intakes. So those are brands to me. If you choose to take one of those brands and fabricate it, that's your choice. If it works for you, go with it.

I don't understand how my opinion on what intake should be allowed for what make is getting anyone upset??? I'm entitled to my opinion aren't I? I mean, I have had a competition number in NHRA for like 15 years now. I think that makes my opinion valid here. I'm on the track, year after year, competing with these other combinations. So I'm sorry if someone is offended by my opinion on this subject.

So, answer my question. Should we allow the swapping of intake makes and adapter plates in Stock eliminator?
So What "Brand" is this and what does it fit? Just because you can't buy something doesn't mean it doesn't exist for the people who can buy it. I think your opinion is whats wrong with the way these ridiculous rules get started, People who don't make the parts we use shouldn't be heard the loudest.

Obviously in stock it doesn't say "Any" so that pretty much answers your question
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Manifold.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	52707  
Old 12-09-2019, 05:25 PM   #42
Bryan Worner

Liked 410 Times in 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Jones View Post
So What "Brand" is this and what does it fit? Just because you can't buy something doesn't mean it doesn't exist for the people who can buy it. I think your opinion is whats wrong with the way these ridiculous rules get started, People who don't make the parts we use shouldn't be heard the loudest.

Obviously in stock it doesn't say "Any" so that pretty much answers your question
Everyone is entitled to their opinion!!! You won’t see me getting all upset over it! Where in my post or any replies did I say your manifold couldn’t or shouldn’t be used???? Sorry I touched a nerve!!
Bryan Worner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:28 PM   #43
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,791 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Jones View Post
People who don't make the parts we use shouldn't be heard the loudest.
Erik, removing the double-negative from your statement, are you saying that the people who DO make the parts Should be heard the loudest??

Let's get something straight, the people who USE the parts Should be heard the loudest!

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:39 PM   #44
Sean Cour

Liked 79 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Erik, removing the double-negative from your statement, are you saying that the people who DO make the parts Should be heard the loudest??

Let's get something straight, the people who USE the parts Should be heard the loudest!
Mama

Last edited by Sean Cour; 12-09-2019 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Nipple twisting
Sean Cour is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-09-2019, 06:16 PM   #45
HawkBrosMav

Liked 276 Times in 68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Worner View Post
Everyone is entitled to their opinion!!! You won’t see me getting all upset over it! Where in my post or any replies did I say your manifold couldn’t or shouldn’t be used???? Sorry I touched a nerve!!

Bryan, I think Eric's point is that if the intake he has shown the picture of is legal then why does it matter if I go buy a Edelbrock big block chevy head to install on my small block Ford engine. All it would take is some sort of adapter plates and boom I have my intake.. thats the sprit of the word "ANY"... If the want to write a rule that stops the heads from being modified to "cheat" the runner volume than go ahead.. but leave the intake out of the rule..

I don't know either of you or really have a dog in this discussion as I only run stock.. BUT this rule does seem a bit stupid if it in fact does mean you can only buy an out of the box aftermarket intake and port it or spend $$$ and go sheetmetal but anything in between is now deemed illegal..

To answer you question though.. just as Erik said.. no running incorrect intakes shouldn't carry over to stock. they SHOULD be factory no matter what and have the correct casting# just as the rule book states.. SS is a different animal.

Brad
HawkBrosMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:38 PM   #46
Kevin Panzino

Liked 550 Times in 106 Posts

Gents, let take a breath. This is getting heated, and while it certainly should be getting heated, a lot of the 'heat' seems to be over the wrong aspect of this rule, at least in my opinion.
Most folks are focusing on the manifold-end of this rule, and also on the 'spacers'.

Since in SS, pretty much any intake manifold modifications are allowed, there is really no concern over this rule affecting the manifold designs out there. Regarding not allowing 'spacers', fine, so now I'll just tig-weld my 'spacer' to the manifold. Its now just a modified manifold, (allowed), or I'll just create an entire manifold from scratch.

The real issue with this rule impacts the HEADS not the manifold. The intake-face angle to combustion-surface angle limitation is the reason this rule is a very big deal, unprecedented, and in my opinion, is unfair. This was never previously a dimension that was called out on the blueprint specs, or the rulebook. Hence up to this point folks were permitted to do whatever they desired regarding this angle.

As a result of this new rule, I believe a lot more heads are now 'illegal' than the intended batch of heads that the folks who lobbied for this rule intended to target.

Kp
Kevin Panzino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:31 PM   #47
Bryan Worner

Liked 410 Times in 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkBrosMav View Post
Bryan, I think Eric's point is that if the intake he has shown the picture of is legal then why does it matter if I go buy a Edelbrock big block chevy head to install on my small block Ford engine. All it would take is some sort of adapter plates and boom I have my intake.. thats the sprit of the word "ANY"... If the want to write a rule that stops the heads from being modified to "cheat" the runner volume than go ahead.. but leave the intake out of the rule..

I don't know either of you or really have a dog in this discussion as I only run stock.. BUT this rule does seem a bit stupid if it in fact does mean you can only buy an out of the box aftermarket intake and port it or spend $$$ and go sheetmetal but anything in between is now deemed illegal..

To answer you question though.. just as Erik said.. no running incorrect intakes shouldn't carry over to stock. they SHOULD be factory no matter what and have the correct casting# just as the rule book states.. SS is a different animal.

Brad
I know what he's saying. I never questioned an intake being legal! My point was that since spacers and adapters are now illegal, which are needed to adapt Chevy intakes to Mopar,, as an example, use the intake that was made for that combo if you choose to go that route. If a guy like Jones buys Edelbrock intakes and machines them to fit without an adapter plate, then great. If it fits the new rule, great! I was not singling out anybody or any specific make, brand, etc. I was focused on the topic of the rule change, not what has been done for 50 years. I have used a sheet metal intake that was custom built for my heads. I knew they were legal in Super Stock.

And Brad, I surely hope you meant Intake and not Chevy heads for your Ford motor.
Bryan Worner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:59 PM   #48
Rod Greene

Liked 204 Times in 72 Posts

So, answer my question. Should we allow the swapping of intake makes and adapter plates in Stock eliminator?

How does this even enter the discussion of SS heads? Off your meds? All stock manifolds have factory part number.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:44 PM   #49
Kevin Panzino

Liked 550 Times in 106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Greene View Post

How does this even enter the discussion of SS heads? Off your meds? All stock manifolds have factory part number.
Rod, sorry if I missed it, (there are now many pages), but I didn't think this thread ever pertained to Stock. This thread was a Super Stock discussion.
Kevin Panzino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:06 PM   #50
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,453 Times in 1,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
As it was just explained to me, the new rule applies to those who have an angled spacer plate being used to replace material that has been cut off at an angle on the intake side of the head. They will also be looking for the OEM angle between the intake side of the head and the block side of the head. That is what the +/- 2 degree allowance is about.
Okay... I haven't seen the rule, as written, but I don't see the problem then.
Everyone knows what the intake face angle should be on all the popular combinations.
That angle should be what's allowed. That, and the v.c. bolt hole limit.
The spacers shouldn't have anything to do with this.
Someone could change the head angle, then build a custom manifold to match it, if it were allowed.

Also, I believe some of the spacers would have to use countersunk bolts into the head, and then they would be covered up by the manifold pattern. So, no, you couldn't just weld the spacers to the manifold.

*Edit : I just read post # 12. I assume this was lifted from the new rule book.. Is this under intakes or heads?
This , too me , looks like NO adapters at all, in S/S.
I guess the saving grace here is that not too much of y'all's money could be going to their lawyers. What a bunch of contradictory gibberish.

Last edited by Mark Yacavone; 12-10-2019 at 01:03 AM.
Mark Yacavone is offline   Reply With Quote