HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech

Old 02-14-2020, 05:33 PM   #1
gnicholson

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default Torque converter company

Thought I would ask what's the general consensus about torque converter companies. Who have you had good luck with who has the best quality. Just trying to get some general opinions
gnicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:04 AM   #2
Average Joe

Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts
Default Re: Torque converter company

There are so many good ones.

I wouldn’t hesitate with FTI, Coan, Hughes, Abruzzi... plus there are many others.

Most important thing is to call and talk to someone, have it built to your combination. Having dyno sheets for your motor is good to have as well and allows them to get it right on the first go. It is important to have a converter built specifically for 90 racing. There are characteristics that do make a difference in improving throttle stop predicting.
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 02:13 PM   #3
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 698 Times in 202 Posts

Here in the Northeast ,for Pro Tree.90 racing Select Performance is a major player . C2 converters is also tuned into the Super class markets needs .
As mentioned Abruzzi,Hughs ,and Coan are also good choices.
I myself like to deal with a company where I can talk to the man building my converter face to face .
Old 02-15-2020, 08:14 PM   #4
ImBack

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I'm From IN,but not too many of us run Coan anymore. Seems FTI is the top choice,I had a BTE a few years ago that was spot on and never give me any trouble.Friend of mines a dealer for them and has a 4:50 doorcar.
ImBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:20 AM   #5
SGSST109E

Liked 124 Times in 58 Posts

Transmission Specialties Inc in PA. Had the same converter for 20 years would have it freshen every 3 years. Sold it a few years ago when I changed my conbination and decided to use a neil chance bolt together I had. Both are spragless.
SGSST109E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:03 PM   #6
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGSST109E View Post
Transmission Specialties Inc in PA. Had the same converter for 20 years would have it freshen every 3 years. Sold it a few years ago when I changed my conbination and decided to use a neil chance bolt together I had. Both are spragless.
I've had the same Transmission Specialties Super 8 spragless converter in my dragster since 2006 or 2007. It's been behind a 555, 565, and now 632. It's never been sent in.

I had a Hughes in the door car for many, many years but had to send it in every couple years with a sprag issue. That car now has a TSI spragless as well.

Hughes would still be high on my list, as would FTI.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:18 AM   #7
sst5167

Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts

For super class racing I would use none other than Hughes. In 2018 a big name converter company offered to put me on their "converter program". I had 6 different converters in my car during the second half of the season trying to find a combo that worked. By the last race of the season, I took the "free" converter out and went back to Hughes. Trust me, there IS a difference. Call Hughes, and specifically ask for Kevin Kleinweber. He knows his stuff!
sst5167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-19-2020, 08:13 AM   #8
Robbie Welch
Live Reporter

Liked 262 Times in 124 Posts

I've been using Trans Specialties for the last 5 years or so. I've been very happy with their converters and service. One was a replacement converter they built me for my C-4 I was running they got the stall correct 1st time. Second was for a PG and it works great. Turn around time was great but guest that can depend on the time of year and how busy they are. Ask for Justin
Robbie Welch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:48 PM   #9
jim powers

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts

for my dragster- select performance i would recommend every time, for my stocker ultimate converters was the choice
jim powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-22-2020, 12:06 PM   #10
Charlie Yannetti

Liked 179 Times in 77 Posts

I'm with Tom Goldman on this one, and I've been a Select Performance customer for at least 25 years.. it's nice when your trans and converter guy is also a Super class racer, attends most races, and can stop by your trailer and view your graphs for possible changes, if any.. pick some one you can deal with face to face, and can actually watch your runs...

My second choice would probably be a toss up between Hughes, and Abruzzi..
Charlie Yannetti is offline   Reply With Quote