Old 03-31-2020, 03:14 PM   #21
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts
Default Re: Factory efi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMP View Post
What else you got Ed? ��
Pardon?? Could you be more clear about what I’ve done?

Last edited by Ed Wright; 03-31-2020 at 03:54 PM.
Ed Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 03:49 PM   #22
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmracing View Post
You can do this with the Holley also. If you want to have multiple tunes inside the ECM to switch between you need the Dominator ECM. There is so much that can be done with the Holley that people just don't even know about.
You can switch “tunes” at shifts, going down the track?
Old 03-31-2020, 09:24 PM   #23
cmracing

Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
You can switch “tunes” at shifts, going down the track?
You can modify your timing and fuel going down the track for each gear.

It seems a lot of people have their own opinions on this website and they are the final authority on all matters.

If you are hell-bent on running small injectors at higher than normal fuel pressure, go ahead. You can still run a large injector at higher fuel pressure and limit the pulse width, but you must already know this.

I come on here to help people, but I see you have it all covered. Robin Lawrence and I should just go-away and let people like you help the rest.........

Enjoy.
cmracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-01-2020, 10:07 AM   #24
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

WOW! I have no idea who you are, but I apologize for offending you.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:39 AM   #25
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,732 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Pardon?? Could you be more clear about what I’ve done?
Ed,

You are a highly regarded member of this site. You are a smart guy and usually have very good points.

I feel that your comments in regard to Holley EFI lack sufficient supporting evidence.

I got my start with Accell Gen 6 DFI. I have had the old FAST, Accell Gen 7, and even stock ECMs. I currently have Holley on all my COPO cars. I have nothing bad to say about any of the systems I have run. At the time they were cutting edge or required by the class rules.

I have also never had an electronic failure in any of my cars. I am sure that I will have something happen at some point. Am I just really lucky? I don't think so. A lot of my time is spent installing modern electronics into older textile machines. There are good practices for installing electronics. The failures that I have witnessed in other peoples cars could be traced to a failure to respect those practices.

As an example. Never cable tie any part of your EFI system to any other battery source. The Holley installation requires that the power supply be "clean" all the way to the battery.

You have hit some good points lately. One is the idea of changing the timing on the shift. My old "Gump" Firebird has a first gear switch on the shifter for that purpose. I put it on there more than 20 years ago. The second is running smaller injectors. I have never had an issue running a smaller injector at a slightly higher pressure. In my experience they idle cleaner and have better throttle response. My 2012 COPO came from Chevrolet with 42 lb injectors at 90 PSI!!

No hard feelings here,

Daren
GUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:37 PM   #26
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

After dialing my air/fuel numbers back to the same, 60 psi & smaller injectors was a solid 5 hundredths quicker. The reason I was given by the most knowledgeable guy I have ever known, was it reduces misfires, and promotes more complete combustion. We never hear all the misfires taking place all the time.
Larger injectors require much shorter pulse widths, at idle, light loads, and decel. When you get much below one mili second pulse widths, it gets inconsistent. My knowledgeable friend works for GM, doing the original calibrations (“tunes”) on Corvettes. Absolutely knows more about this than anybody here.