HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech

Old 12-22-2019, 01:27 PM   #1
Dano

Liked 53 Times in 33 Posts
Default Class C with Trailer toad Towing limits

There are several posts regarding this I'm sure, but.....I have a 28 ft C with 450 chassis. Trailer is a pace 32' with loaded weight of 10k lbs. Is it possible to tow this combo with a trailer toad safely? I know I can call TT about this but would like some observations from actual racers who've experienced this.
Dano
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 02:46 PM   #2
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,664 Times in 851 Posts
Default Re: Class C with Trailer toad Towing limits

I’ll paraphrase similar threads on the subject of Class C’s pulling trailers; don’t do it unless you’re not traveling far and over fairly level terrain. The trailer toad will take some stress off the hitch (none of which are rated over 7,500 pounds I believe) but you’ll be exceeding the capabilities of the F53 chassis in all other regards. Biggest concern would be braking in emergency situations and some others have experienced pretty bad handling to the point of making the tow a very stressful one (remember we’re doing this for fun). Sure you’re only towing 10K? My old Pace steel 24’ trailer was over 5,500 pounds before I put the car, pit bike and tools in it.

Have you looked at some of the lower capacity Super C’s such as the Renegade Valencia or Jayco Seneca? Much better with a true truck chassis and Cummins.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 08:49 AM   #3
Dano

The trailer is 5600 lbs empty, 3390 car, 500 tools, oil, etc. pit atv 350, cpl jugs of fuel 100,= 9940 lbs. The braking is of major concern. Live in S Utah so going to Las Vegas is easy, coming home isn't with some major inclines including the Gorge. The trailer has good brakes and I'm careful about the loading. I have seen many of the same RV's with shorter trailers doing it. Not seen a 32' behind one yet. Probably a good reason. I've looked at the Super C's, out of my price range. My wife drives the RV down following me with the dually and trailer. Would be nice to just take one rig down. And Cheaper!
Old 12-23-2019, 09:54 AM   #4
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

I have a 25' Class C on an E-450 chassis. V10 5 speed auto

It tows my 26' Classic trailer with zero issues.....Stops better than my GMC pickup did when used for towing.....

I don't know the weight of my trailer but it is not real heavy.....Hauling a dragster and lots of equipment.

A Toad is pretty much out of the question for me as I have very limited room to back my stuff into a narrow driveway off a busy road.....

I reinforced the back of my MH and the hitch.....added air bags....

A good WD hitch with sway control is your best friend.....I had a Reese for years but bought an Equalizer last year and it is better than my old Reese.

I would never recommend a class C to anyone looking to tow a lot and a heavy trailer but I've seen many racers using them and towing bigger/heavier trailers than I do.

I have used my MH since 2015 with NO issues to the MH or the hitch/frame...….
Old 12-24-2019, 09:32 AM   #5
Dano

Pulling the 32' would be pushing the margin/boundaries of safety. The 24' is probably the way to go with side cabinets so space for a golf cart or pit vehicle can be done. Anyone looking for a 32'er...….?
Old 12-26-2019, 10:06 AM   #6
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

I can add that last year I made up the homemade lever type arrangement to measure the tongue weight on my trailer fully loaded. I came up with about 1100-1200lbs tongue weight.....

I also spent some time setting up my WD hitch exactly as the instructions say to do...…

It makes a difference......and I need to redo that once more come spring.

Trailer sits just a little low in front and hitch needs height changed and then redo the load bar adjustments.....

I've seen racers using Class C's with 28' or bigger trailers and door cars inside and some don't have sway control hitches....

My short wheelbase Class C has to have sway control....Its about the same wheelbase as my extended cab 8' bed GMC pickup.....but with more distance from axle to hitch pin.....My pickup never swayed with a Reese WD sway control hitch and a Lance Camper loaded on the pickup.

The Motorhome is much more sensitive to wind, trucks and road conditions.

The wheelbase to overall length of any Class C is a big part of how they tow...…

If I would have realized that fact I would have bought the slightly bigger Class C that is built by the same company mine is from.........The wheelbase is about 2' longer and the axle to hitch pin is about the same...….I am sure it handles better.....