HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-27-2023, 02:57 PM   #21
NHRA1926

Liked 161 Times in 51 Posts
Default Re: This will affect some of you fast guys

Just another racer expense that NHRA is passing down from the big classes. I'll bet their liberal lawyer out there in California instituted this. NHRA is becoming more and more like the democratic party almost weekly now. I understand we participate in a dangerous sport, but when are they gonna stop making everything mandatory and making it more and more expensive for the Sportsman racer to compete at their events? And, WE, the Sportsman racers, still have to pay that MANDITORY insurance at EACH national event that we enter. Never had to pay that separate fee years ago. And everyone needs to know and understand, that insurance pays for the life flight helicopter just in case one of the pros needs to be life flighted out of the facility. Do some research on that. How come the Sportsman racers are required to pay this separate insurance cost? It used to be included in our membership fee. How come it's not a once per year fee, instead of an every national event fee? And, if they claim this insurance fee is NOT just provided for helicopter for the pros at the national events, then how come they don't have the helicopter at the divisional races for us Sportsman? Getting harder and harder to justify attending their events.
NHRA1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 03-27-2023, 03:23 PM   #22
Mike Mans

Liked 296 Times in 48 Posts

I've been wearing a HANS device for a few years now, I see no problem with it. I agree with Ben Holt, these 3000lb+ cars going 150mph+ will hurt like hell if something bad happens. Cost is irrelevant and anyone that says otherwise should probably get their head checked BEFORE the accident. If you have a car going 150+, you can spare a few hundred bucks on a safety device. If you think that little foam neck collar is going to do anything, you're only lying to yourself. My kid's bicycle helmet has more protection than those flimsy foam pads - they are worthless.

I agree with this rule change. One of the small number of instances that a sanctioning body may actually be protecting racers from themselves.
Mike Mans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 03:47 PM   #23
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 655 Times in 255 Posts

Remove blidder and install Hans device while driving in pits. It's a jungle out there.
Jeff Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 07:18 PM   #24
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,649 Times in 521 Posts

How about NHRA bring tech back to make sure the cars are safe? Or prep the whole track so we won’t need this thing!
And 7.49 seconds doesn’t equal 150, it’s more like 170mph they should raise the speed to match the et.
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 03-27-2023, 07:24 PM   #25
Kirk Morgan

Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts

This new rule will affect quite a few sportsman. Have you thought about all the additional cost of the safety regulations that the government requires on new cars. Nobody complains about that. I think you can be never to safe.
Kirk Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 07:31 PM   #26
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,649 Times in 521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Morgan View Post
This new rule will affect quite a few sportsman. Have you thought about all the additional cost of the safety regulations that the government requires on new cars. Nobody complains about that. I think you can be never to safe.
We all don’t have or want new vehicles. And I for one definitely don’t need the government to mandate what I can and can’t do with my personal safety.
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 11:19 PM   #27
Kirk Morgan

Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts

I agree with you about government overreach. NHRA seems to be doing the same thing but you have to wonder if there is outside pressure driving some of the decisions being made. Iam sure we will never know.
Kirk Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 05:24 AM   #28
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts

I don’t agree with some of the rule changes or even the lack of leadership NHRA displays at the top, but I don’t know why anyone would tag this to politics. Technology has allowed a lot of easy horsepower to increase speeds across most classes. Look at the super street super gas etc speeds. Etc. Why not take advantage of safety technology?

I recall having to put a parachute on our old 69 camaro back in the 90’s because the class record was 150. We would be lucky to hit 140 back then. So they could just assign hans type devices to more classes. At least this way racers can prepare for it knowing their own cars performance. .

I don’t like the extra charge either for the pros but I have seen sportsman line flighted at national events before so…..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mans View Post
I've been wearing a HANS device for a few years now, I see no problem with it. I agree with Ben Holt, these 3000lb+ cars going 150mph+ will hurt like hell if something bad happens. Cost is irrelevant and anyone that says otherwise should probably get their head checked BEFORE the accident. If you have a car going 150+, you can spare a few hundred bucks on a safety device. If you think that little foam neck collar is going to do anything, you're only lying to yourself. My kid's bicycle helmet has more protection than those flimsy foam pads - they are worthless.

I agree with this rule change. One of the small number of instances that a sanctioning body may actually be protecting racers from themselves.

Last edited by james schaechter; 03-28-2023 at 05:27 AM.
james schaechter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 07:12 AM   #29
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,452 Times in 1,956 Posts

If we can get Dumbo close to that fast I will have one. As for a one piece driving suit, a onesie, I wonder if I can get some Tom Hammonds hand me downs.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 07:33 AM   #30
AJ Laferty

Liked 24 Times in 9 Posts

I just don't understand why drag racers put up with this. The organization clearly is more concerned with the organization and the leadership than the people the organization is supposed to represent. Why is there no "club" for the actual racers where the "club" leadership works for the desires of the club members? If NHRA isn't working for the racers, why stick with them? Vote with your feet. I know people have a lot of money wrapped up in racing, but why not have an organization work FOR you?
Liked