HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 03-25-2023, 11:36 AM   #1
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 645 Times in 206 Posts
Cool Tech question--

If I took my '70 Monte Carlo and wanted to race it in Stock, would it be against the rule book to remove the front disc brakes on it and replace them with from drums from a Chevelle? I think the discs were standard equipment back then on the MC, but the Chevelle still had standard front drums until 1972.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 03:02 PM   #2
David Lee
VIP Member

Liked 246 Times in 99 Posts
Default Re: Tech question--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reimer 7376 View Post
If I took my '70 Monte Carlo and wanted to race it in Stock, would it be against the rule book to remove the front disc brakes on it and replace them with from drums from a Chevelle? I think the discs were standard equipment back then on the MC, but the Chevelle still had standard front drums until 1972.

i would give tech a call, but i can not see a reason why you could not.
David Lee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 07:17 PM   #3
CMcAllister

Liked 734 Times in 204 Posts

Rulebook says "Must be equipped with stock production four-wheel hydraulic
brake system, or aftermarket disc brakes"

Sounds like to the letter of the rule, if you remove the OE brakes, you must install aftermarket discs.

The next obvious question would be, why?
CMcAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 07:46 PM   #4
Catman

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Greg, I don't know your reason for wanting to switch your disc. to drums, but if it is to get rid of some weight be careful. Many years ago I had a 69 Chevy 2 with factory disc. on the front & was told I could get rid of 40 lbs. going to the drums. Had a friend with a Camaro with front drums, we made a trade I even did all of the work, well the only thing that I lost was time & alot of braking power. I weighed the parts as I was making the switch, the weight difference was nothing, but a deal is a deal & he was a happy camper. My car ran low 10's 130 mph. & it was hard to stop after that switch. Danny
Catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 03-25-2023, 08:41 PM   #5
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

Should be a bit lighter, from my experience..
Also ,less drag
Plus, it's easier to heat and bend the drum brake steering arms for toe-in issues.
Greg, Just do it..Nobody cares (except for maybe a few keyboard racers)
Old 03-25-2023, 11:00 PM   #6
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 645 Times in 206 Posts
Cool Re: Tech question--

One thing about this whole deal, the discs were all power assist with the big round booster on the fitrwall. Drums either came power or manual. Running a vacuum booster with any kind of performance camshaft would absolutely not work,especially a Stock Eliminator type cam. That would be a weight saver as well.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 03-26-2023, 10:51 AM   #7
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 937 Times in 258 Posts

Prior to NHRA allowing lightweight, aftermarket disc brakes, many racers s swapped out the factory disc brakes for manual drums. As Mark said, less weight, and could be adjusted for zero drag. Funny, how, when many of the fast, higher classed cars, that had replaced the factory discs, for drums (and often to very light, small, 6 cylinder drum brakes), started lobbying for "Better" (read that as even lighter) aftermarket brakes, it became all about safety. Kinda like when lightweight racing seats were requested , again for "Safety". Have to wonder how many racers would have installed the aftermarket seats if they had to be the same weight as the seats being replaced, or heavier. I would guess "safety" would not have be as much of a concern in that case! As for the drum brakes, my buddys SS/F 66 Chevelle ran 9.7s at 138 MPH, on the stock 9 1/2" drum brakes, and another buddys 67 Mustang bracket car ran the same numbers with the original 10" drums. Neither had stopping issues, despite both being stick cars that went into neutral at the finish line, so no engine braking. Of course that also depends on the shut down length of the tracks being raced on. Cold drum brakes also often hold the car in the burnout box better than some manual disc brakes as well.
Old 03-26-2023, 10:20 PM   #8
Randy Guest

Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts

My dads 68 chevelle c/s 3680 pound car had drum brakes on it .at phoenix he could barely get it stopped at the turn off we had to put new shoes on it every race because they would get cracks in the pads on the shoe.go with disc brakes stock or after market. much safer .unstead of push and pray you stop.
Randy Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 03-26-2023, 11:38 PM   #9
killintime6968

Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts

My ex-modified eliminator camaro has drum brakes up front. With times of high 9's to low 10's and speeds of 130s it was a bear to stop.
killintime6968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 07:26 AM   #10
Run to Rund

Liked 44 Times in 22 Posts

If you go from power to manual brakes, remember to include a retainer so the pushrod cannot fall out of the master cylinder cup.
Attached Images

Run to Rund is offline   Reply With Quote