HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-14-2020, 08:48 AM   #81
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,082 Times in 769 Posts
Default Re: Can NHRA survive without John Force ?

The N.H.R.A. survives without;
Don Garlits, Don Prudhomme, Bob Glidden, Shirley Muldowney, Kenny Bernstein, Warren Johnson, Bill Jenkins, Joe Amato, Dale Armstrong, Mickey Thompson, Lee Shepherd, Pat Austin, Eddie Hill, Ronnie Sox, Tom McEwen, Jim Liberman, Don Nicholson, Ed McCulloch, Raymond Beadle, Connie Kalitta, Pete Robinson, Jack Chrisman, Gary Beck, Tommy Ivo, Gene Snow, Jim Dunn, George Montgomery, Art Chrisman , Chris Karamesines, Dick LaHaie, Darrell Gwynn, Brad Anderson, Willie Borsch, Terry Vance, Blaine Johnson, James Warren, Danny Ongais, Frank Manzo, John Mulligan, David Rampy, Frank Hawley, Dave Schultz, Ken Veney, Billy Meyer, Malcolm Durham, Richard Tharp, Elmer Trett and Me!
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:36 AM   #82
James Perrone
VIP Member

Liked 1,610 Times in 377 Posts

I have to say i enjoyed the racing format 2 qualifiers and go into elimination
Nothing guaranteed. Run what you brung. And make sure you have enough
Very entertaining short and sweet
Old 07-14-2020, 11:44 AM   #83
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quo Pro Joe View Post
Maybe a better question is will Super Stock and Stock survive?
They will. Both classes are alive and well right now. the Nationals fill up with 7-8 grade points. Lots of stock and SS cars still running.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:47 PM   #84
KRatcliff

Liked 502 Times in 135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Castros View Post
Don Garlits, Don Prudhomme, Bob Glidden, Shirley Muldowney, Kenny Bernstein, Warren Johnson, Bill Jenkins, Joe Amato, Dale Armstrong, Mickey Thompson, Lee Shepherd, Pat Austin, Eddie Hill, Ronnie Sox, Tom McEwen, Jim Liberman, Don Nicholson, Ed McCulloch, Raymond Beadle, Connie Kalitta, Pete Robinson, Jack Chrisman, Gary Beck, Tommy Ivo, Gene Snow, Jim Dunn, George Montgomery, Art Chrisman , Chris Karamesines, Dick LaHaie, Darrell Gwynn, Brad Anderson, Willie Borsch, Terry Vance, Blaine Johnson, James Warren, Danny Ongais, Frank Manzo, John Mulligan, David Rampy, Frank Hawley, Dave Schultz, Ken Veney, Billy Meyer, Malcolm Durham, Richard Tharp, Elmer Trett and Me!
A lot of big names there that are gone for sure, but those are names when the NHRA was thriving. It is far from thriving now and the question is will it survive. It probably will survive, but it is a long ways from thriving in my opinion.

It is not hard to see when there are far fewer teams fielding multiple cars that the NHRA is riding on a much riskier bet than the list above. The vast majority are single car teams and much more diversified when one retires or leaves the sport.

I guess the thing that bugs me the most about this is not that people come and go. That is a natural progression. It is disappointing that a sport with such addictive qualities is being talked about their survival. I know this has been talked about for decades, but at some point it no longer becomes a chicken little discussion. Unfavorable team demographics, management decisions, and other mitigating factors seem to be hitting all at once.
KRatcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 02:22 PM   #85
Pistol Pete
VIP Member

Liked 688 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Perrone View Post
I have to say i enjoyed the racing format 2 qualifiers and go into elimination
Nothing guaranteed. Run what you brung. And make sure you have enough
Very entertaining short and sweet
Agree with you James 100%.
Old 07-31-2020, 05:49 PM   #86
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,707 Times in 853 Posts

Force finally released a statement that they aren’t racing this year so guess we’re going to find out. Beginning to think the old truck driver is pretty savvy because it very well could be we won’t have any more National Events this year. NHRA isn’t going to have an event where they can’t get decent gate and concession receipts nor can I blame them. But they’re more than happy for you to keep entering national events, I see Atlanta has openings in Stock and Super Stock now BTW. Meanwhile the NMCA seems to be carrying on.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 02:53 PM   #87
matt82114

Liked 117 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Castros View Post
Bingo. Every time a "big name" stepped away there were other teams still showing up.

To be 100% honest, by there being 2 less JFR cars plus no Mike Salinas & maybe no Scott Palmer in 2020, our low budget (lowest budget of any TF or FC actually) TF car actually has a better chance of qualifying.

So guess what teams like us are doing? We went to Indy 2 (missed qualifying by .003) and we'll be at Indy 3 this weekend.

If there were a ton of TF cars showing up we probably wouldn't have been at either simply because we can't afford to do this without the NHRA qualifying or #17 & #18 showup money.

Sure, JFR is the most recognizable name in drag racing right now. But JFR isn't what defines NHRA. I'm guessing 75% of the people who tune out bc JFR isn't racing will eventually realize we're still having racing and they'll circle back around and start watching.

In the end, I think NHRA will be just fine.
matt82114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:15 PM   #88
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 261 Posts

It really is pretty simple.. The sponsor money dried up.
The Pro racers & NHRA have been riding on sponsor money.
Business is shut down and the advertising write off money has dried up..
When the economy opens up and comes back you will see the big named sponsored teams come back.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:20 PM   #89
Chevy55

Liked 168 Times in 83 Posts

John Force Racing issues statement

https://www.nhra.com/news/2020/john-...sues-statement
Chevy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:41 PM   #90
rognelson777

Liked 132 Times in 72 Posts

Drag racing is a Hobby for most, has been that way for a long time, the only people making a living off of it are the pro paid drivers and pit crew.

Actually this is a big opportunity to make big changes by NHRA to the pro racing. Go to 50pct nitro this off season. Casual fans will not notice the difference, certainly will not see the difference on TV. How much more affordable will it be for the entry level Nitro racer.
Everyone will complain for a year, then it business as usual. Nitro $55 ? a gallon, just paid $5. a gallon for VP M1 at Cecil.

and less major carnage, so sportsman may get another round or 2 on sunday
rognelson777 is offline   Reply With Quote