HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing

Old 11-01-2021, 01:58 PM   #1
sst7250

Liked 38 Times in 28 Posts
Default Anyone running a Pro Stock style engine/modern head..

I am in the midst of building a new truck for .90 racing. liekly mostly S/ST as its a steel truck. I am looking at engine options right now just curious if anyone has tried to run a Pro Stock cyliner head in one of these cars? Talking modern DRCE type stuff here not old 18 degree stuff like the big chief etc...Thinking of possibly doing a larger cube deal with a modern head. My buddy who is an engine builder thinks its very doable but I am a tad more skeptical so seeking any real world experience before I make a decsion
sst7250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 11:54 AM   #2
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 290 Posts
Default Re: Anyone running a Pro Stock style engine/modern head..

Al,

I think you know a lot of the Comp guys, is the 700+ CI engine Ryan Priddy runs a DRCE?

Bill
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 06:24 PM   #3
Regan Wilson

Liked 125 Times in 65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sst7250 View Post
I am in the midst of building a new truck for .90 racing. liekly mostly S/ST as its a steel truck. I am looking at engine options right now just curious if anyone has tried to run a Pro Stock cyliner head in one of these cars? Talking modern DRCE type stuff here not old 18 degree stuff like the big chief etc...Thinking of possibly doing a larger cube deal with a modern head. My buddy who is an engine builder thinks its very doable but I am a tad more skeptical so seeking any real world experience before I make a decsion
Are you bored? Or just looking for a new challenge? Lol
Regan Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:24 PM   #4
sst7250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regan Wilson View Post
Are you bored? Or just looking for a new challenge? Lol
Looking to try something different, maybe

I know Priddy and the Mountain View guys for sure. But they are in a different style racing than I'm talking about. Just curious is anyone out there has tried it? FWIW this would NOT be in 500" form
Liked
Old 11-03-2021, 11:40 AM   #5
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sst7250 View Post
I know Priddy and the Mountain View guys for sure. But they are in a different style racing than I'm talking about. Just curious is anyone out there has tried it? FWIW this would NOT be in 500" form
I understand that for sure but I thought it might be an example of the larger cube engine with a modern head you were after.
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:32 PM   #6
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts

I personally never got real involved with any form of bracket racing but years back just playing around we built a "low buck" bracket car engine--- rebuilt a junkyard 500 CI Cadillac with ALL STOCK PARTS for less than probably maybe a thousand dollars tops--- never ran it over 4900- 5000 RPM almost totally stock maybe an electronic ignition and some type of carb change don't remember--- tons of torque low maintenance ran a whole year didn't change the oil didn't change the plugs NOTHING maybe 250 passes--- never took the valve covers off--- totally foolproof -- won a bunch of money and just sat back and watched all the other racers thrashing and all--- do not see why you need the latest trick of the week or $10,000-$50,000 plus Reher Morrison engines or any builder to race-- all you are doing is running a .90 number whatever that number might be---do it he cheapest most efficient way you can--my 2 cents --FED 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:06 AM   #7
nickh

Liked 217 Times in 96 Posts

Al,
years ago Donnie Pedan was running a 737 5" bore motor in SG, he was running 194 mph in SG, was there and saw it with my own eyes. Go big brother!

Nick
nickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 09:55 PM   #8
Shake & Bake

Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts
Post Re: Anyone running a Pro Stock style engine/modern head..

Nick,
Who do you feel are the BIG mph cars in S/G now-a-days in any division?
Just curious....
Shake & Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 09:21 AM   #9
sst5167

Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts

Over the years, I have seen many times where someone in a fast top sportsman car will put a throttle stop on their car and run a couple races with it. Then brag about how fast they were. To me that's not a super gas car. Can it cut a light to be competitive? Can you come half way close to dialing the car?
With all the reliable power available to us now, 180 mph in a legit super gas car is not all that uncommon anymore. I'm not even sure I could name off all the guys going that fast. There's becoming a lot of them!
sst5167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-10-2022, 02:24 PM   #10
sst7250

Quote:
Originally Posted by sst5167 View Post
Over the years, I have seen many times where someone in a fast top sportsman car will put a throttle stop on their car and run a couple races with it. Then brag about how fast they were. To me that's not a super gas car. Can it cut a light to be competitive? Can you come half way close to dialing the car?
With all the reliable power available to us now, 180 mph in a legit super gas car is not all that uncommon anymore. I'm not even sure I could name off all the guys going that fast. There's becoming a lot of them!
Well I am just going back to S/ST so don't need t worry about 180 I was just curious if anyone was dong this at all let alone with success. Like you say making A run with alot of MPH is not what I am after. Looking to go back to what I had, a dialable, predictable relatively maintenance free dea, that can run decent MPH..