HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-13-2020, 06:04 PM   #1
Dissident

Liked 73 Times in 36 Posts
Default Stock Eliminator Cylinder Heads

I was surprised to see the thread that mentioned lawsuit(s) over cylinder heads and thought about posing some comments perhaps as a point that some might have opinions about. The following are some of those thoughts:

Caveat: The comments here are not intended to cause problems but to perhaps help clarify some points, not ruffle feathers. I know what the rulebook states and I have seen and tested many heads that were passed as legal. That term is interesting to say the least.

Stock Eliminator Cylinder Head Preparation
Current rules both written and what is visually allowed in Stock Eliminator drag racing is somewhat nefarious relative to practical applications. Each year some nuance is brought forward that had been not allowable in previous years. In order to have a competitive cylinder head package for a given engine, careful preparation is required.

Cylinder Head Preparation Points and Comments
1) Clean and inspect cylinder head castings (Magnaflux for cracks)
2) Prep guides / bronze liners / hone to fit stem sizing
3) Measure ports for CC volume – record notes – casting number verification
4) Prep ports and flow test / Record for File
5) Cut valve seats / Face valves to match as required
6) Measure combustion chamber CC volume
7) Disguise port work with chemical etching / ABS Cheating Bastard Blaster / or equal
8) Flow test and verify final port volume requirement
9) Cut deck surface for final combustion chamber CC requirement
10) Install screw in studs if necessary
11) Mill head bolt pads compatible and perpendicular with cylinder head deck surface
12) Finish for seals / spring seats / cups
13) Cut intake manifold mounting surface appropriate for deck surface removal
14) Note for distributor spacers and gaskets if required
15) Mark with SN and Flow File Documentation
16) Hope for accurate feedback from Customer or engine builder

Does this follow with your experiences ? What say y'all?

Regards.
HB2
Dissident

Last edited by Dissident; 04-13-2020 at 06:05 PM. Reason: spacing
Dissident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 06:20 PM   #2
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 261 Posts
Default Re: Stock Eliminator Cylinder Heads

I feel any comment on this subject could endanger or cause harm to the said lawsuit. The last thing I would want to happen in a lawsuit is it be decided by being discussed in the forum of public opinion.
I'm sure we will have plenty of time to discuss and cuss it when it is settled.
Adger Smith

Last edited by Adger Smith; 04-13-2020 at 06:22 PM.
Adger Smith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 11:56 AM   #3
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,957 Times in 492 Posts

Apparently #7 is why we're so damn slow!
Old 04-14-2020, 12:20 PM   #4
Jim Hanig

Liked 97 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan View Post
Apparently #7 is why we're so damn slow!
my experience has been that if you don't do what the fast guys are doing your not going to be nearly as fast. The rules are pretty gray as to what you can do to the heads and intake. No grind marks and rite cc in the runners your good to go.Unless you run into Westly or Wayne then you mite have a problem, of course the cost of the heads ,manifold is now in the 5500 dollar range. Then there are some combo that are still soft,You just need to pick the rite one and get your check book out. Or be prepared for a uphill battle, ask anyone who has been doing it for many years.
Jim Hanig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 01:33 PM   #5
Andy Friar

Liked 220 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hanig View Post
my experience has been that if you don't do what the fast guys are doing your not going to be nearly as fast. The rules are pretty gray as to what you can do to the heads and intake. No grind marks and rite cc in the runners your good to go.Unless you run into Westly or Wayne then you mite have a problem, of course the cost of the heads ,manifold is now in the 5500 dollar range. Then there are some combo that are still soft,You just need to pick the rite one and get your check book out. Or be prepared for a uphill battle, ask anyone who has been doing it for many years.

What STK combo(s) are the heads and manifold $5500? I am assuming at that cost they are built up and installed, correct?
Old 04-14-2020, 02:34 PM   #6
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

The big issue is with Super Stock cylinder heads were rules have been more open than Stock Eliminator cylinder heads.

The fact that intake adapters and spacer were prohibited in Super Stock when welded, epoxied and sheet metal intake manifolds are allowed did not make any sense.

As regards to the high cost of competitive Stock Eliminator heads and intake manifolds, you are paying for the knowledge and hard work of those that build them and the cost is for a set of heads and intake ready for use.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 02:40 PM   #7
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hanig View Post
Jim's statement is right on the money!
Classes such early Chevy small and big block, Mopar small and big block and a few others, in order to be competitive, you have to pay for the technology.

These engine packages have been in competition for decades and almost every single ounce of power has been extracted throughout the years. What makes the difference is the shop that either builds the cylinder heads and intake package and/or the engine and the camshaft design.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 05:33 PM   #8
Dissident

Liked 73 Times in 36 Posts

Gentle Folks of the Class Racer Forum,
When I originally posted the outline of assumptions of preparations, it was specifically intended to address Stock Eliminator heads only. The SS stuff is another stack of candle wax entirely.

This was intended as a separate issue of discussion from whatever the details are in any sort of lawsuit stuff as I know nothing whatsoever about that deal. Most of those kinds of things are settled on courthouse steps anyway.

My comments were and are that I do not do work on cylinder heads, only having seen and flow tested some. I am an old guy and have seen the allowable "modifications" become rampant and are typically passed or failed on "visual" approval or disapproval. Regardless of what the rule book states. I abhor the politics and would prefer to stick to the technical side of the equation. Unfortunately that involves people and that is the most difficult item to balance in the equation.

In the meantime of lots of us can perhaps have a sensible discussion on the Stock Eliminator issue as presented. Thank you for your participation.

$5500???? Wow that came as an eye opener

Regards,
HB2
Dissident

Last edited by Dissident; 04-14-2020 at 05:33 PM. Reason: accursed spacing
Dissident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 06:09 PM   #9
R. Thorne

Liked 47 Times in 25 Posts

#5 and #8 are done numerous times and yield the most significant gains. They are also labor intensive and contribute a great deal to the cost. In my case, it was my labor. The flow bench that I built and my curiosity about air flow was an experience I wish I had done long ago.
R. Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 06:28 PM   #10
kansas stocker

Liked 234 Times in 44 Posts

Cheatin' is cheatin'. Don't matter if everyone is doing it, it is still cheatin'. I really don't know how you hold your head up after you beat someone in a "heads up" or for "class" when you are illegal. If it makes you feel proud then go circle track racing where it is a badge of honor.
Just $.02 from a cranky old man.

Last edited by kansas stocker; 04-14-2020 at 06:30 PM.
kansas stocker is offline   Reply With Quote