HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 08-15-2019, 08:25 PM   #1
gmonde

Liked 166 Times in 59 Posts
Default spiral or ring type piston pin retainers

I am starting to work on my super stocker engine and just noticed the pistons ( top name) I purchased have the ring type rather then the spiral lock sets ,, I am accustom to the spiral locks that I know work and will not come out ,, can I get some feed back on what the most of you use ,, I have contacted the piston manufacture of my concerns ,,
thanks in advance gmonde
gmonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:38 PM   #2
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts
Default Re: spiral or ring type piston pin retainers

Single or double spiral locks have been the std. for many years.

There is NO way I am going to use something different. I'm Not going to use a round ring type lock no matter what the piston manufacturer says.

I've never had a spiral lock come out and I've built a lot of engines...

The old snap ring type occasionally would break a piece off but never came out either....

I'd send them back and either redone for std spiral locks or replaced....

After seeing the destroyed engine on here on another thread and the replacement pistons with spiral locks....there's your answer...
Old 08-15-2019, 09:05 PM   #3
gmonde

Liked 166 Times in 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Biebel View Post
Single or double spiral locks have been the std. for many years.

There is NO way I am going to use something different. I'm Not going to use a round ring type lock no matter what the piston manufacturer says.

I've never had a spiral lock come out and I've built a lot of engines...

The old snap ring type occasionally would break a piece off but never came out either....

I'd send them back and either redone for std spiral locks or replaced....

After seeing the destroyed engine on here on another thread and the replacement pistons with spiral locks....there's your answer...
yeah I agree,, I will see how much push back I get ,, if I get to much it will be posted here
gmonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:20 PM   #4
ss3011

Liked 221 Times in 102 Posts

Round wire clips work well , and are OEM on most production engines currently . Be aware that the wrist pins used on pistons with round wire clips are chamfered specifically for these clips .
ss3011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:20 PM   #5
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,957 Times in 492 Posts

Quote:
Rich, since I was mentioned I would like to at least explain that my replacement pistons have spirolox not because I don't trust a round wire lock but because I don't trust the piston manufacturer.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:30 AM   #6
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Todd I don't know the exact reason for your engine failure but I would not change what has worked successfully for many years.

I have no idea why a piston company would change to something different.....

I've used spiral locks as I said for many years and the pins don't have a lot of movement side to side between the locks. Never had one come out....

I always make sure the pin is free to move back and forth between the locks after assembly and use a heavier type assembly oil on the pins and pistons....

Round wire locks might work fine but you won't find them in my engine. Now that I know these are out there I would make sure any pistons I buy have Spiral lock grooves and locks.....or I'm not buying them...

My dragster engine is a 565 and has Diamond pistons with spiral locks....I built it......It's 6 years old and has hundreds of runs on it.....and has been apart for inspection and some fresh parts.

I built engines for myself and many others for years and years......

Last edited by Rich Biebel; 08-16-2019 at 07:35 AM.
Rich Biebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:38 AM   #7
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,957 Times in 492 Posts

Quote:
Todd I don't know the exact reason for your engine failure but I would not change what has worked successfully for many years.

I have no idea why a piston company would change to something different.....

I've used spiral locks as I said for many years and the pins don't have a lot of movement side to side between the locks. Never had one come out....

I always make sure the pin is free to move back and forth between the locks after assembly and use a heavier type assembly oil on the pins and pistons....

Round wire locks might work fine but you won't find them in my engine. Now that I know these are out there I would make sure any pistons I buy have Spiral lock grooves and locks.....or I'm not buying them...

My dragster engine is a 565 and has Diamond pistons with spiral locks....I built it......It's 6 years old and has hundreds of runs on it.....and has been apart for inspection and some fresh parts.

I built engines for myself and many others for years and years......
Rich, I agree with everything you've said. Why the piston manufacturers have gone to a round wire lock I can't comment on, I just don't know. What I do know is a round wire lock will not work if the piston manufacturer doesn't machine the groove properly. Not sure if the same applies to a spirolox groove or that type of lock is more forgiving to machining discrepancies.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:50 PM   #8
Bob Mulry
VIP Member

Liked 315 Times in 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan View Post
Rich, I agree with everything you've said. Why the piston manufacturers have gone to a round wire lock I can't comment on, I just don't know. What I do know is a round wire lock will not work if the piston manufacturer doesn't machine the groove properly. Not sure if the same applies to a spirolox groove or that type of lock is more forgiving to machining discrepancies.
Unfortunately in this day and age manufacturers have to have something new to help them sell and be different enough to be the latest "new & improved"
Sometimes change is good if it's made for the right reasons.
Sometimes change is bad if it's made for the wrong reasons.

I have been racing with my partners for 50 years and always on a tight budget. No money makes it difficult to recover from adversity.

We raced what we built. The dollars spent had to produce.

Why would I risk our racing money on a trick of the week.

I know that I will take some heat for this post, but that's OK because I've handled heat my whole life...

As I remember back there was a very well known Junior Stocker guy that had written on his car "Trix are for kids" and it's still true today.

Last edited by Bob Mulry; 08-17-2019 at 11:23 AM.
Bob Mulry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:53 PM   #9
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Here is a joke that might fit for this...

Consider the new round wire pin locks "the green alternative "

In my experience if it says its "green" It just doesn't work worth a you know what....

Plenty of modern things are better and may take some getting used to.

Plenty are not and you regret getting sucked into the marketing...

I would assume a round wire lock would work fine in a properly machined groove with a pin finished the way it would need to be to work with that lock....and all proved by testing...

But exactly what is the reason to make a change from what has worked for decades.....

You have to ask yourself why did they make this change.....There is NO advantage or improvement since what they changed was not failing....
Liked
Old 08-18-2019, 05:52 PM   #10
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 696 Times in 201 Posts

I have engines with both dual spiral locks ,and the round wire rings.
Mahle has the round wire clips in their specialty performance line.
Since the wire ring engine has not been pressed into service yet ,I cant personally attest to their durability.
That being said , my finger tips were in much better shape after assembling the engine with the wire clips !!
Back in the 80's the machine shop that did my work was building some mighty successful Dirt Modified engines with the wire clips , I cant remember them having any failures. . ...Plus they had some Cosworth engines there which also had them.