HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-20-2021, 08:30 AM   #1
John DiBartolomeo

Liked 1,283 Times in 159 Posts
Default Mufflers

“Every motor vehicle used in a race or contest of speed at a facility located within three-quarters of a mile of an occupied residence shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler and exhaust system to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, provided the residence was constructed prior to the construction of such facility.”

Of course though, before you get too upset, this was taken from the June 1972 issue of Super Stock & Drag Illustrated penned by then editor Jim McCraw. I doubt that “Bill” is even on the books today.

https://dragracingedge.com/the-blog/mufflers/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mufflers03.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	56624  
John DiBartolomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:41 PM   #2
rognelson777

Liked 132 Times in 72 Posts
Default Re: Mufflers

I can give many arguements for both sides of the noise issue. For example, when Englishtown was built the only time cars over 300 HP was when they had fuel dragsters that probably made 1,000 HP. Now we have street cars making 1,000 hp and top fuelers making 11,000 hp, It is significantly louder. You have to try to work with the community, Atco was doing a good job with community events to keep track going, but was blindsided by a crazy offer form a non racer.
rognelson777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-20-2021, 01:55 PM   #3
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,081 Times in 769 Posts

"Maybe that’s the problem today. People are afraid to say what’s really on their minds."

Or maybe if they do and someone doesn't appreciate it, you will be censored.
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-20-2021, 02:00 PM   #4
Greg Gay

Liked 218 Times in 48 Posts

I have two stories in this regard:

A close friend of mine was excited to tell me one day that his daughter and her husband were buying a house within a mile of New England Dragway. I could leave my car and trailer there, if I needed, or possibly even stay with them. I asked if the realtor had mentioned the dragstrip and the noise. Not a word. While I fully believe that the dragstrip was there first and has every right to continue to make the noise that it has always made, can you imagine making the biggest purchase of your life on Thursday, only to wake up and wonder, "What the hell is that noise?" on Saturday morning. The realtors have a responsibility to inform the buyers.

I went to the tower at Lebanon Valley about 5PM one Sunday evening to pick up my winnings. A neighbor was there giving the track owner a hard time about the noise. I asked, "Was the dragstrip here when you bought your house?" He just glared at me without answering.

Racecars don't need mufflers!
Greg Gay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:06 PM   #5
nhramnl

Liked 352 Times in 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Gay View Post

A close friend of mine was excited to tell me one day that his daughter and her husband were buying a house within a mile of New England Dragway. I could leave my car and trailer there, if I needed, or possibly even stay with them. I asked if the realtor had mentioned the dragstrip and the noise. Not a word. While I fully believe that the dragstrip was there first and has every right to continue to make the noise that it has always made, can you imagine making the biggest purchase of your life on Thursday, only to wake up and wonder, "What the hell is that noise?" on Saturday morning. The realtors have a responsibility to inform the buyers.

I went to the tower at Lebanon Valley about 5PM one Sunday evening to pick up my winnings. A neighbor was there giving the track owner a hard time about the noise. I asked, "Was the dragstrip here when you bought your house?" He just glared at me without answering.

It's the "new" America, which is chock-full of "Karens". They buy a house near the airport for $5.00 (because it's near the airport), and immediately start going to City Council meetings, trying to get the airport closed (or property tax busting noise abatement measures imposed).
nhramnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:48 PM   #6
Chevy55

Liked 167 Times in 83 Posts

Fighting noise ordnance laws is just another expense added to the cost of
running a racing facility and if they don't do it laws are passed that can
eventually put them out of business.

That's what happened here on Long Island and now we're shxt out of luck!
Chevy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-20-2021, 03:31 PM   #7
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,230 Times in 596 Posts

I can see both sides of the discussion about mufflers or not.

Here's how I handled the question several years ago to a group of home owners.

I was racing at Bremerton Raceway (not far from Seattle) in 1996 and invited a friend from work to come and visit and bring his kids. After the racing was over for me that day my friend invited my future wife and myself to come to his home. Many neighbors come over to see my car and ask questions. One question that was unanimous was about the noise from the track and traffic coming and going. I asked all of them when they purchased their homes. It was in the last few years(5 to 10). I informed them that the track was there since 1959. Informed them that if they had any complaints about the noise they should contact their real estate agent and ask why they weren't informed of the track and noise from said track. The track was not at fault, but full disclosure from their agents was. A lot of blank looks on their faces followed. End of discussion.

I don't get the mentality of people who move near a noise making situation and then complain. DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Last edited by Carguy49; 01-20-2021 at 05:08 PM.
Carguy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:54 PM   #8
lorenr

Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts

I remember when I was in grade school in the 1950's. In geography, the teacher informed us that soon there would be 2 billion people on earth.

Today there are over 7 billion. The world is really changing.

No doubt, noise pollution and many other types of pollution are going to make life more difficult. We are going to need to deal with lots of issues in the future. If you are not effected, you are very lucky.
lorenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-20-2021, 09:43 PM   #9
rognelson777

Liked 132 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Gay View Post

So here is a good one for you, I get a call for a Home improvement project because the guy is fixing up to sell his relatively new house. I get to house and ask why he is selling, the Trains are too loud, I look out window and train tracks are about 400 ft from house?
rognelson777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:02 PM   #10
jjn38d

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Our local track had new big buck home owners protesting at the track entrance as racers were leaving about 2 years ago. The homeowners got more than an education from each racer they approached. Basically the track was operating long before any homes were there, builder never mentioned the track was there. Their complaint should be with the builder. So far all is well for racing....
jjn38d is offline   Reply With Quote