HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-23-2021, 04:49 PM   #1
SuperStock172

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default SS/CS Start line Ratios

Hi,

Aussie Super stock question, where our class rules are closely in line with NHRA SS/CS, hence the title. We run a Proflite 3 speed behind a max effort, small cube, high rpm OEM iron headed wedge motor. Converter stall at just a bit over 8000rpm. Car weight is approx 3300lbs. After a reasonable break from racing we decided to change our first gear ratio, we're currently at 2.51 with a 6.0 rear gear, the car seems to launch harder with this gear but as a result the gear shifts are happening sooner and the run home in top gear (1/4 mile) is stretched, which seems to not be helping the e.t at the stripe. Unfortunately, the original ratios in the box were misplaced, but we're lead to believe they were around a 2.2 first. Hoping to pick a few a brains on which direction we should head with our ratio and if we should be aiming to head back to a numerically lower ratio? Thanks in advance for the help.
SuperStock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:54 PM   #2
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 502 Times in 125 Posts
Default Re: SS/CS Start line Ratios

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperStock172 View Post
Hi,

Aussie Super stock question, where our class rules are closely in line with NHRA SS/CS, hence the title. We run a Proflite 3 speed behind a max effort, small cube, high rpm OEM iron headed wedge motor. Converter stall at just a bit over 8000rpm. Car weight is approx 3300lbs. After a reasonable break from racing we decided to change our first gear ratio, we're currently at 2.51 with a 6.0 rear gear, the car seems to launch harder with this gear but as a result the gear shifts are happening sooner and the run home in top gear (1/4 mile) is stretched, which seems to not be helping the e.t at the stripe. Unfortunately, the original ratios in the box were misplaced, but we're lead to believe they were around a 2.2 first. Hoping to pick a few a brains on which direction we should head with our ratio and if we should be aiming to head back to a numerically lower ratio? Thanks in advance for the help.
You need to talk to Ashton Hudson. He had the fastest CS car before he switched to comp. I’ll tell him about your question.

-Ed
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:35 PM   #3
Mike Mans

Liked 296 Times in 48 Posts

Back when we ran that combination, we had a Pro-Trans with a 2.45/1.51 (E-2). I don't know if I was as fast as Ashton, but we made a few good runs over the years.

Our program made peak power around 9400 and if I'm not mistaken we had a converter stall around 8400. When we were in decent air we would cross at 10,200 if we were trying to run fast.

Best of luck with your combo!
Mike
Mike Mans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:11 AM   #4
SuperStock172

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Carpenter View Post
You need to talk to Ashton Hudson. He had the fastest CS car before he switched to comp. I’ll tell him about your question.

-Ed
Thanks I'd really appreciate his insight to the question.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:15 AM   #5
SuperStock172

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mans View Post
Back when we ran that combination, we had a Pro-Trans with a 2.45/1.51 (E-2). I don't know if I was as fast as Ashton, but we made a few good runs over the years.

Our program made peak power around 9400 and if I'm not mistaken we had a converter stall around 8400. When we were in decent air we would cross at 10,200 if we were trying to run fast.

Best of luck with your combo!
Mike
Hey Mike,

Thanks for commenting, I've followed your car in the past and was certainly impressed with the results you achieved in ss/cs. The rpm at peak power of our combo is close to yours, out of interest what were you aiming for on the shift points? We might be a little conservative with ours from first impressions.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:34 AM   #6
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 676 Times in 260 Posts

The 2.45-1.45 is a real good ratio.
The % drop between gears is good.
I heard rumors that was what the fastest CS car had in it.
If you want to take a little low gear and a tiny bit of second gear out of it try putting a "F" in place of the "E". Makes it a 2.41/1.48
That is what is so nice about the pro flites.
Watch the fast comp guys. A lot are in High at or before the 330....JS
Old 02-24-2021, 04:09 AM   #7
SuperStock172

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adger Smith View Post
The 2.45-1.45 is a real good ratio.
I heard rumors that was what the fastest CS car had in it.
If you want to take a little low gear and a tiny bit of second gear out of it try putting a "F" in place of the "E". Makes it a 2.41/1.48
That is what is so nice about the pro flites.
Watch the fast comp guys. A lot are in High at or before the 330....JS
Thanks for the reply, it seems our current Ratios are in the ball park then to what you guys are running in SS/CS which is good to hear. We did have to send our converter off for repair sometime ago and ever since then it has not been the same. We have a newer billet style on the way to test so the tired converter may prove the reason why the newer Ratios hadn't performed as expected.
Liked
Old 02-24-2021, 09:55 AM   #8
Hacksaw

Liked 276 Times in 151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adger smith View Post
the 2.45-1.45 is a real good ratio.
I heard rumors that was what the fastest cs car had in it.
If you want to take a little low gear and a tiny bit of second gear out of it try putting a "f" in place of the "e". Makes it a 2.41/1.48
that is what is so nice about the pro flites.
Watch the fast comp guys. A lot are in high at or before the 330....js
e2 = 2.45 1.51 f2 = 2.36 1.48 e6 = 2.51 1.51
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:01 PM   #9
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,453 Times in 541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperStock172 View Post
Thanks for the reply, it seems our current Ratios are in the ball park then to what you guys are running in SS/CS which is good to hear. We did have to send our converter off for repair sometime ago and ever since then it has not been the same. We have a newer billet style on the way to test so the tired converter may prove the reason why the newer Ratios hadn't performed as expected.
Are you guys still running solid lifters in lieu of roller lifters?
By the way, the right converter is a game changer for performance.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:14 PM   #10
SuperStock172

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
Are you guys still running solid lifters in lieu of roller lifters?
By the way, the right converter is a game changer for performance.
Yes solid lifters are still mandated with a maximum of .904 lifter size. Solid lifter makes them a little trickier to peak at the same RPMS as the SS/CS combos but they get close.