HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-03-2014, 10:37 PM   #481
Mr belvedere

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs down Re: A990 Super Stockers

Look at firewall
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	23018  
Mr belvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:15 AM   #482
bob george

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: A990 Super Stockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr belvedere View Post
I have seen first hand what some did to these cars and its not good ,everything was cut out and hacked off makes me sick
It's what we did back in the day.If I told you how many Hemi and wedge cars/parts we cut up or scrapped back the day you would hang me.I recall giving rolling bodys away and even abandoning a aluminium 63 max-wedge in a field in Marion Illinois.No one had a crystal ball.
bob george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:54 AM   #483
a990hemi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: A990 Super Stockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob george View Post
It's what we did back in the day.If I told you how many Hemi and wedge cars/parts we cut up or scrapped back the day you would hang me.I recall giving rolling bodys away and even abandoning a aluminium 63 max-wedge in a field in Marion Illinois.No one had a crystal ball.
One must realize that drag racing is no fun unless you win occasionally. Out of date race parts are usually given away or discarded if no one wants them. Technologies were changing so rapidly from say '65 to '75 that what might have been a record holding class car would not even make a decent bracket car some 10 years later. I too wish I could've scored a genuine crystal ball bitd so I might have been able to stash away some treasure for the future.
a990hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:39 PM   #484
bob george

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by a990hemi View Post
One must realize that drag racing is no fun unless you win occasionally. Out of date race parts are usually given away or discarded if no one wants them. Technologies were changing so rapidly from say '65 to '75 that what might have been a record holding class car would not even make a decent bracket car some 10 years later. I too wish I could've scored a genuine crystal ball bitd so I might have been able to stash away some treasure for the future.

It was a constant struggle to gain the advantage or pick up a few bucks winning or match racing.The sport was evolving so quickly in the 60s and 70s and was a popular spectater sport to watch.We didn't have the techonolgy that is available in later years and what we have now.We didn't have a crystal ball but have memories of the beginning of an era that we may never experience again.
Though it is too costly for most today,the yesterdays were priceless.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:37 PM   #485
Steve1118

Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr belvedere View Post
I have seen first hand what some did to these cars and its not good ,everything was cut out and hacked off makes me sick
Bob is so right....back then you didn't even think about it. You just cut and hacked, made it fit, used it up, wore it out, and then went and got another one. There was tons of stuff around, and no one gave any thought about anything being a "collector piece". To me it's amazing that so many did survive, and today most look better than they did when they were raced initially. Much better.

On a different note, the thing I like most about Nostalgia racing today is that it created a use for a lot of the obsolete stuff floating around. A lot of it is very serviceable, but has been technologically (?) passed by for class racing, and those of a more serious bent. I know that is what I do....my dear friend Bob George told me I'm a dinosaur....he's right. But, I'm still having some fun, I've finally realized that this isn't a money making deal.
Steve1118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:41 PM   #486
Charlie A
VIP Member

Liked 87 Times in 63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob george View Post
It was a constant struggle to gain the advantage or pick up a few bucks winning or match racing.The sport was evolving so quickly in the 60s and 70s and was a popular spectater sport to watch.We didn't have the techonolgy that is available in later years and what we have now.We didn't have a crystal ball but have memories of the beginning of an era that we may never experience again.
Though it is too costly for most today,the yesterdays were priceless.
I cannot overstate the value of the memories that those like yourself contribute to this and any other forum dealing with the history of the sport.
They NEED to be recorded somewhere. Here, other web sites, books.
Whatever media form possible.
Thank you for taking the time to share.
And.......feel free to add some more memories, anytime.
Charlie A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:14 PM   #487
a990hemi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My grandfather used to volunteer his time watching over the local garbage dump since he liked shooting the breeze with the farmers and townspeople who'd dump their stuff there. One day when I was a boy, the entire aluminum front end from this very car was thrown into the aluminum pile there. Steve Link bracket raced the car at Great Lakes Dragway back in the 70s, and unfortunately stuffed the front end into the guard rail. The aluminum bodywork was badly wrinkled, but repairable by todays standards. But why go through all of that trouble when new steel panels could still be had at the local Chrysler dealership which his family just happened to own?

a990hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:39 AM   #488
rickseeman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Anybody know where this one is now? Rick 501-519-7425 Thanks
rickseeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:55 AM   #489
bob george

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickseeman View Post
Anybody know where this one is now? Rick 501-519-7425 Thanks

It is rumored to be in Canada and is up for sale for $55,000.No one will verify it's history.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:36 PM   #490
mopar68
VIP Member

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

This photo dates to late 1969. We know this because this is the ’65 Plymouth Super Stocker that Arlen Vanke built with one purpose in mind—to smoke the SS/C record, where Bill Jenkins and the Chevy guys were enjoying a cushioned index going toward the 1969 World Finals in Dallas. Since the index was based on the current class record, Akron Arlen put this car together quickly—with some factory help, took it to the last divisional race of the year at National Trail Raceway in Columbus, Ohio, and reset the record in a Sunday evening final-round charge (after missing a chance during the record runs on Saturday). He hammered the number so hard that the ZL1 cars could not even qualify at Dallas the next month. He is seen here at St. Thomas, Ontario, soon after.

Last edited by mopar68; 05-10-2015 at 03:48 PM.
mopar68 is offline   Reply With Quote