HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-09-2020, 06:58 PM   #1
Kenney Kelley

Liked 71 Times in 35 Posts
Default Transmission Solenoids

How does one check solenoids if they don't have a factory computer? Someone told me that's how you check them. Or do you just buy new ones Thank You Kenney Kelley
Kenney Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 12:50 AM   #2
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts
Default Re: Transmission Solenoids

You mean the transbrake one? Internal or external? A transbrake solinoid is basically an electromagnetic switch. Give it power and ground. If it clicks it's OK. If not Not.
Old 03-10-2020, 01:54 PM   #3
Eman

Liked 105 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenney Kelley View Post
How does one check solenoids if they don't have a factory computer? Someone told me that's how you check them. Or do you just buy new ones Thank You Kenney Kelley
You can use a wiring diagram and go to the connector at the trans or you can pull the pan to access them. Then you can use an ohm meter and or run jumpers to see if they activate, you can hear them click. Now that will check the solenoid but you won't know if there is a problem in controls or wiring.
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 04:05 PM   #4
ss3011

Liked 221 Times in 102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenney Kelley View Post
It depends what type of solenoid you have , Some solenoids are on/off valves , some regulate a pressure , and most external trans brake solenoids provide a force on a valve . The on/off and trans brake solenoids can usually be checked by just energizing them with 12 volts. The solenoids that regulate a pressure need a voltage source that cycles on and off at a given HZ but gives you the ability to control the time its off verses the time its on . Do you know what type of solenoid you have , or what its used to control ?
ss3011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 03-11-2020, 12:58 PM   #5
Kenney Kelley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3011 View Post
It depends what type of solenoid you have , Some solenoids are on/off valves , some regulate a pressure , and most external trans brake solenoids provide a force on a valve . The on/off and trans brake solenoids can usually be checked by just energizing them with 12 volts. The solenoids that regulate a pressure need a voltage source that cycles on and off at a given HZ but gives you the ability to control the time its off verses the time its on . Do you know what type of solenoid you have , or what its used to control ?
Its a 350 Turbo it's a Stock elim transmission so no trans brake. It didn't shift last Friday at Gainesville it didn't act right on the burnout or when it left the line. So we loaded it up and came home. I need to put it on the lift and pull the pan and go from there. I thank both of you for the Info you have provided. Thank You Kenney Kelley
Old 03-11-2020, 01:52 PM   #6
pmrphil

Liked 248 Times in 107 Posts

I thought there weren't any solenoids in a T-350? Something I am missing? I know I'm a polock, but still.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:58 PM   #7
Kenney Kelley

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrphil View Post
I thought there weren't any solenoids in a T-350? Something I am missing? I know I'm a polock, but still.
I thought it was 200 but my brother said it was 350 but as soon as I get it on the lift i'll know. Thanks Kenney Kelley
Old 03-11-2020, 08:11 PM   #8
ss3011

Liked 221 Times in 102 Posts

Sounds like your trans has a aftermarket "E" valve body . The type of solenoids used in this type of racing vb are the on/off type .

Did it shift at all or just stay in one gear ? Does the car have an e shift controller like the one Turbo Action sells ?
ss3011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:55 PM   #9
Kenney Kelley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3011 View Post
Sounds like your trans has a aftermarket "E" valve body . The type of solenoids used in this type of racing vb are the on/off type .

Did it shift at all or just stay in one gear ? Does the car have an e shift controller like the one Turbo Action sells ?
Yes it does. He brought it back to the trailer we put it up on jack stands and it wouldn't shift. I also checked the fluid level and it was ok after that we loaded it up and headed home. We got a few other things going on so I haven't pulled the car out of the trailer yet. I got a truck on the lift right now that's my daily driver so that takes precedence. Kenney Kelley
Old 09-04-2020, 09:36 PM   #10
Kenney Kelley

We were able to find the problem to the reason why the 350 transmission wouldn't shift at Gainesville. I called Dave at Pro Trans and he helped me in finding the problem the transmission checked out OK. My brother called Paul at Turbo-Action and sent him the E-Shift Box and Paul checked the box out and found there to be a problem with it so Paul let my brother use his spare till he could get one. I want to thank Dave and Paul both for going out of their way to help us Thank You. Kenney

Last edited by Kenney Kelley; 09-05-2020 at 12:18 AM.