HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-26-2020, 02:16 AM   #1
Tadshy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Rear coilover shock set up

Does anyone have a good set up process for installing new rear coilover shocks. It's a 4-link set up in a GT/MA 83 Camaro 3170 pounds. I upgraded to the double adjustable Afco shocks and 150 pound springs. I don't have corner scales at the moment so I'll have to set it up without them. I set the ride height so both sides were equal and then set enough pre load in the RR so when I jack up the rear end the left side tire comes off the ground about 3/4 of an inch before the right with me in the car.
Tadshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 07:56 AM   #2
Roy Kinslow

Liked 124 Times in 25 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Rear coilover shock set up

What I like to do as a starting point with ladders or fourlink cars is put a jack as close to the right rear tire as possible and Jack up the car until it starts taking weight off the left rear tire. This will simulate the deflection that takes place on launch. Find points to measure from each upper and lower shock mount, adjust suspension links until shock lengths are the same. The distance from the axle tube to frame rail should be the same on both sides now if everything was built square. After this it's to the track to get some videos . When the car goes straight, then weigh it and record the numbers for future reference if you want. Good luck and be careful.
Roy Kinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 11:06 AM   #3
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Liked 99 Times in 60 Posts
Default Re: Rear coilover shock set up

some notes from my experience;

*an anti-roll bar is your friend, I find adding one helps everything.

*the 150-pound spring "maybe" too much. Consider a 120 - 125 range. You want the shock to be about 2/3s to 3/4s compressed at ride height.

*keep preload in the four-link to a minimum. With an anti-roll bar just barely, maybe 1/2 a flat will do the job.

*The anti-roll bar needs the slack just taken out by making the right side downlink long.

* The above adjustments are done at race-ready weight with driver or driver weight in the seat.
Old 02-29-2020, 03:29 PM   #4
Eman

Liked 105 Times in 60 Posts
Default Re: Rear coilover shock set up

Chris Alston Chassis Works has a real good tech section on shock and spring setup. On my 85 Camaro with Afco DA's I use a 110 spring and could go lighter. My car is a little lighter than yours and a ladder bar.
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote