HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-14-2008, 09:39 PM   #11
dak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool Re: what causes this?

I had run into this a couple of times when I first started racing ...1st thing I started doing was bringing the idle up 11-1200 RPM..the 2nd was before I would stage I would cycle the brake 3 or 4 times ...just press and release the button...I have no idea if any of those things helped ..maybe it was just a timing thing between going in the beams and applying the brake. but I know that once I started that routine the car never moved ... I still do it today
dak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:30 PM   #12
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 261 Posts
Default Re: what causes this?

Rolling forward when you hit the brake has nothing to do with the low gear band adjustment. Low gear band adjustment has everything to do with the timing of the low band dropping out & the High clutches applying. Any one that has really looked at a racepack graph of driveshaft RPM / engine RPM can see if the shift holds low too long or lets it loose causing a flare in engine RPM. Comp racers & savy .90 class racers chase the bump on the graph to get it as smooth at the shift as possible.
The low band is already in full apply when you are rolling forward into the beams. It is line pressure or fluid vol required for a loose reverse clutch pack that makes the car roll forward. The rev clutch pack isn't applying quick enough to lock the tranny up. The cycling of the T brake before the final apply is filling the rev piston cavity with fluid. So when you make the final apply it doesn't take a full load of fluid to move the piston forward to apply the Rev clutches.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:43 AM   #13
BIZMANRACING

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ADGER

at first i guess i didn't understand your first post. then all the comments about the low band. so the lowband adjustment has nothing to do with my problem at all. that being said now back to my problem

now if i understand you correctly, because this is racing and as soon as i and the other racer are staged we get on the buttom and mat the car. now if i had all the time in the world and say could wait a few secs before i hit the buttom i might not have any problem at all.

but,

because i do its because one i either have a real problem and the trans is going away or i'm lopw on fluid or just a little more rpm to get pump pressure up. all this or some of this and my problem goes away.

that is unless my trans has seen better days. did i get it right.

Carlos Mendes
BIZMANRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:07 PM   #14
Lynn Hoosigian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: what causes this?

Carlos - if all the mechanical remedies check out and it still happens, we have also found that when you go to get on full throttle AT THE SAME TIME as hitting transbrake, you will roll! Make sure transbrake is engaged BEFORE getting on full throttle. This one doesn't cost any money!!!
Good luck!!!!
Old 07-15-2008, 02:35 PM   #15
BIZMANRACING

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

LOL

THANKS LYNN

i've done that one to, that one usually sends me out of the beams and well on my way for about 4 ft until i slam on the brakes, look up at the starter and ask for a "do over". usually he just points in the big end direction of the track and directs me to keep on moving.

Carlos Mendes
Old 07-16-2008, 12:15 AM   #16
Adger Smith
VIP Member

It is correct the band adjust has nothing to do with rolling forward. It is in full apply when going forward. What are you going to do, loosen(adjust) it so it slips? ;~) The problem is the low band is applied & it takes toooo long for the rev clutch pack to tighten up & lock the tranny in low & rev. Pull the pan and check the clearance in the rev clutch pack. That can be done by inserting feeler gauges through the small square hole below the Rev clutch pack. (have to remove VB to see) Let us know how many thousands it takes to wedge the pack tightly. I suspect you have a tranny that may still have too small a supply hole. (Had known builder do that to me way back before I started doing my own) The stock feed hole is about .060. Should go to at least 5/16 or 3/8 for good fluid flow. That is if your VB is the type using single feed. Some have a feed & dump, dual...More holes to drill... Or you could have the wavy steel still in the clutch pack or you could have low pressure or you could have too much clutch pack clearance. It isn't going to fix it's self. You need to do some checking before just pulling it out. Did you check the pressure on the rev pack when you hit the T brake? You can also
air check the rev clutch pack, just like you can air check the low band when the VB is out. (not through the same fluid port, though. Did you do the tranny yourself or is it a well used unit from someone else? Hope this helps.

Last edited by Adger Smith; 07-16-2008 at 12:20 AM. Reason: sp
Adger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:46 AM   #17
BIZMANRACING

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

wow !!!!!!!!!!!

adger i felt like i was still in some navy school and reading and reading your post over again. and feeling like i'm not getting it. i understand what you say but unfortunally i can geographyly figure out how to check it myself. in simple terms, i was lost after pulling the pan. even with the best instructions i would "F" that up.

no i didn't do my own trans dynamic trans and converters did mine, i have about 19 runs on this trans. so i hope they warranty the darn thing. i have no complaints on there work. hell, who knows maybe its something i did. low on fluid, didn't adjust the low band after my first 2 runs. (was more like 10 before i made the adjustment). just don't really know. in this area i'm out of my element.

all i can do is check the fluid come friday. at first i was hoping that it would be low and thus an explaination. but, it doesn't sound like you think so. got this sucks, since its in a full body car with the CSI cover over it and bolted to the engine with allen heads. **** i can't get a wreench on them so the entire engine and trans would have to come out....... my reallity truely sucks right now.

i just love sportsman racing....... you know, life was alot easyier when the car went 12 something on the foot brake. as i have already said to my wife. the next time something happens thats where i'm going. i just didn't think it would be this soon. the world around us is just so expensive, who really has the money.

thanks for everybodiest help. i'm going to forget about this today and go golfing on TOYOTA'S (my boss) nickael. friday will be here soon enough.

Carlos Mendes
Old 07-16-2008, 10:49 PM   #18
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Carlos,
Good for you, admitting that you are lost and giving some good information. The last thing I want a customer to do is get in over his head trying to fix something. I'm sure Frank at Dynamic feels the same as I do. So it made atleast 19 runs & strated giving trouble. I would think something went away. Could be as simple as lip seals nicked or cut on assy. Send it back to Dynamic. They know their product & can probably fix it. You need to do that before you or someone else screws up more. I know I would appreciate a customer that was having problems deal with me to get them corrected. Get rid of those allens, they are case eaters... Put a "footed" style bolt with a clearance shank on there. Ask about any updates when you return the tranny.
Good Luck, esp with that white ball.... :~)
Old 07-17-2008, 03:33 PM   #19
BIZMANRACING

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thanks for your help alger.

the little white ball won again. i like playing, but don't love it, its good for me to show my face at these things. besides all the food and drinks were free, so i had a great time.

today its back to the grind in this 92 degree weather in jersey. no problem for me i've got southern experiece...lol.. lived in charleston sc for 12 years and 7 yrs in jacksonville florida during my nanvy days. but, we don't live there anymore. in new jersey they stay home when it gets this hot.

i'll call shawn at dynamic sometime today or tomorrow (my day off) and see what he thinks. in any case i think i have alot of work ahead of me. where's the million dolaar sponce and the pt crew when you need them. oh, i don't have one of them. so its me and me alone. this is going to suck

Carlos Mendes