HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-30-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
Skippy SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Wheelbase question: how different is 115" vs. 125" to drive?

I have been in the market to replace my door car with a roadster or altered. Can any provide any insight as to how significant the difference is in handling between a 125" wheel base and a 115" car?
Skippy SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:09 PM   #2
Duane Dagostino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Wheelbase question: how different is 115" vs. 125" to drive?

Not much different if your talking about 4-link cars..both are fine if set-up is right...if you're interested in a S/G type roadster I have one for sale that works well ...let me know
Duane Dagostino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:46 PM   #3
H.A.A.C. Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It all depends on how fast you want to go. I can tell you one thing, unlike what all our women tell us, longer is better! The longer it is the more stable it will be. If you know you will be happy with 8:50's for as long as you have the car 115" is fine, if you think you might want to dip into the 7's you'll want to be as long as possiable. Good luck, I hope this helps.
H.A.A.C. Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:19 PM   #4
sc1153

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to sc1153

FYI
If you are planning to pro tree race I would NOT go with a 125" car......all the Pro Stock Trucks were 125" and CONSTANTLY had problems hitting the tree unless you have an all aluminum 632 makin 1100 horses!

Been there done that......If I were you I would not even THINK about going over 115 EVER! I fought the tree for years and cost a ton of $ to fix it
sc1153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:35 AM   #5
Charlie Yannetti

Liked 179 Times in 77 Posts

I've driven both...... I ran a 125" Bantam in A/EA and on a 12" tire, it became a handful at times...... but a bigger tire would help that if you're bracket racing....... like stated earlier, if you're chassis is setup right it can be a fun ride....... never tried a Pro Tree with it though....... I also drove a 125" Bantam in L/AA, which is a 4 cylinder class...... that thing was a string every time.....

I currently have a 115" 27 Roadster built by C&F Race Cars in New York State....... this car is so much fun to drive you wouldn't believe it....... you can Bracket race it or Super race it........ but again like stated earlier, you will need to be satisfied with a certain MPH, unless your front fenders are really attached well....... at around 160, mine start to move enough to get me nervous...... LOL

BUT...... if you get into a 115" car with one of the the newer topless Corvette or Camaro bodies, you would probably have no problem dipping into the 7's at around 170 or so....... check out some of the S/G MPH's........
Charlie Yannetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:54 PM   #6
Skippy SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well for an engine, I would be looking to use my 540" BBC that currently runs 9.30's in a 3400# door car. Does that change what I should be looking at for a wheelbase? If necessary, I can dial the engine back, since I am sure it will be overkill for what I am looking to run.
Skippy SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:20 AM   #7
H.A.A.C. Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For an easier ride, I still say longer is better but I can't speak about it hitting a pro tree. For the speed your looking to go, I am sure the 115" will be fine and from what we are hearing, it will make it more reaction time friendly.
H.A.A.C. Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:53 AM   #8
Duane Dagostino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have had 3 different 115" roadsters,2 Brogies and now a Suncoast aero..all handeled well and were excellent on a pro tree,it's in the set-up...it depends on what you want to do...remember a steet roadster can run S/G or S/C so your not left out at some National events...if your bracket racing you dcn't have to worry about .400 trees...you have about the same power as me so putting your engine in a 2150# roadster will put you in low 8's...stop it to 9.90 or 8.90 and have fun..if your in the market let me know
Duane Dagostino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:16 AM   #9
63corvette

Liked 281 Times in 88 Posts

From experience I can say the longer the wheelbase is the easier it is to drive.
As far as the pro tree is concerned it all depends on engine set back and balance of weight front to back along with the crank centerline height. Basically, car balance.
Either wheelbase can be setup to cut the pro tree light by someone who knows how.
The selection is just a personal preference and what you type of racing you do with it.
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote