HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-17-2008, 06:59 PM   #11
1968chevelle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Low sulfur diesel fuel

What they tell me is that it grows a fungus which causes the filter to build up a gel, a buddy of mine is a full time mechanic, he gets 2-3 a mounth, his thoughts are any sort of aditive helps, just the cheap stuff from wal-mart he saies does the job, he thinks it is mostly in trucks that dont get run a lot, mine as a rule gets 100+ miles a day I havnt had a problum myself.
1968chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:53 PM   #12
THE LEGEND
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a 06 Duramax. I put 40,000 miles on it the first 18 months. I've put 2,000 on it in the last 6 months. I change the fuel filter every other oil change. I used that stuff in the gray bottle you get at the truck stops sometimes but not on a regular basis. I hav'nt had any problems. I've heard some that had filter problems though.
Chip
THE LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:11 AM   #13
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts

We have not seen any problems in our big rig or my conversion. We have not seen anything of interest in our fleet (about 1500) of medium and hd trucks. The gelling was a problem before the low sulphur. Mostly on diesel that sits around. The additives will stop that. There is always the problem of dirty diesel. Tank bottoms at the station, distributor, truck are just someof the culprits. We have seen a real uptick in the feds stopping at sites (construction, dealer, etc) and checking for red fuel (no tax) in street vehicles. When they stop, they check everybody, and yes the fines are pretty hefty.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:09 PM   #14
wsmracing
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any additive, that will increase lubricity & cetene level is good........poor fuel quality will make you want to step up you intervals on fuel filters...just to help mileage & save on injectors.....power service works well..............ford/motorcraft offers additives for 7.3/6.0 & the new 6.4.......which needs all the help it can get in the fuel mileage area
wsmracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:32 AM   #15
bobby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I heard the red diesel cost the same as on road diesel. If this is true, why would anyone risk putting off road diesel in their trucks? I have a 04 Kodiak with a Duramax in it and havn't had any problems with diesel yet. and I havn't used any additives either. Of course, with the price of diesel, I don't fill it up unless I need to. You know, bad neighborhoods with siphoning hoses.
bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:29 PM   #16
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 261 Posts

I have a 92 Dodge pickup with the Cummins I use for a shop truck. I think I'm seeing the start of some problems because of the low sulphur fuel. Back when it was cool this spring it started being hard to start, even when left plugged in. I could give it a couple of pumps on the primer pump & it would start. It ran at first like it had low fuel supply. Then smoothed out & ran like normal. I started seeing some fuel dripping from below the pump when I pumped the primer. That was all back in the early spring. Then the weather warmed up a little and it started starting like it did for 158,000 miles. No prime, no fuel leak, no problems. I took a couple hundred mile road trip this weekend & on Monday the hard start problem came back. I'm now smelling fuel when I stop at the shop or stop any place I'm going. Could the pump be loosing some seals because of the low sulphur fuel?Any one have any ideas? Do I need to pull the pump & install some a seal kit? I can't see it having any other pump problems than seal leaks. Runs good & gets great mileage. What's a guy to do?
Old 07-02-2008, 07:31 AM   #17
Ruth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I guess I would be saying say to myself :

”Do you really want to try all the home cooked concoctions and take the chance on their compatibility with my big $$ injectors, fuel pumps both high low and more? “

Me personally….. NOT!

Stanadyne is one of if not the major players in the diesel injection industry and also approved by the manufacturers. Because a fuel additive gives you that seat of the pants zoomie zoomie ,feel don’t mean **** as to what effect it can have on you fuel system components down the road. You can be zooming right along while you’re injecting your fuel system with ingredients like alcohol and what not, to enhance the cetane level. that may not show damage like galling in the injector bores and for quite some time down the road. I know that many will name all the common names in diesel additives that we see on the shelves at the truck stops and how great they are ,but the name that you will see at the major diesel repair facilities and installed in the mfg process of some major mfgs is Stanadyne.

This is the lubricity formula their are others formulas

Tranny fluid can and will leave ash deposits on the valves & rings over time ...it's not desinged to be used in the combustion process. NO thanks I'll pass

You should be fine with low sulpher fuel.

If you have a fuel problem it most likely the “quality” of the fuel purchased and not the fact that its " Low sulpfher

Just my .02$ and worth every penny.

Disclaimer: I aint a thing to do with Stanadyne in any way shape or form other than using it for the past 8 years.

Last edited by Ruth; 07-02-2008 at 06:17 PM.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote