HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-17-2024, 02:30 PM   #1
e vassar

Liked 238 Times in 93 Posts
Default LT1 Opti spark question

I have read that some LT1 racers are disabling the processor in the opti spark distributor so it basically is only a cap and rotor distributing spark to the plug wires. I believe this is called "batch fire" we have a crank trigger a BS3 and 7AL3 . So do I need the processor in the opti spark? How will the BS3 pulse the injectors without the signal from the opti spark?
Thanks
e vassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 05:56 PM   #2
LS1Racer

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default Re: LT1 Opti spark question

I am not very familar with the BS3 but I would think its just like the Fast XFI. The white wire marked points ties to the MSD points and your crank trigger should be hooked to the ECU with the correct harness. From there you have to program in the software for bank to bank. If you gut the distributor you no longer have a cam signal. We have a machined disc in the distributor and pick up a cam signal only off the opti for sequential tuning and use a crank
trigger. If you lose the opti signal it defaults to bank to bank. I did look online at BS3 instructions and saw that the gen4 can actually do individual cylinder tuning without cam signal but still fires bank to bank. Kind of a nice setup.

Last edited by LS1Racer; 03-17-2024 at 06:02 PM.
LS1Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 08:42 PM   #3
e vassar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1Racer View Post
I am not very familar with the BS3 but I would think its just like the Fast XFI. The white wire marked points ties to the MSD points and your crank trigger should be hooked to the ECU with the correct harness. From there you have to program in the software for bank to bank. If you gut the distributor you no longer have a cam signal. We have a machined disc in the distributor and pick up a cam signal only off the opti for sequential tuning and use a crank
trigger. If you lose the opti signal it defaults to bank to bank. I did look online at BS3 instructions and saw that the gen4 can actually do individual cylinder tuning without cam signal but still fires bank to bank. Kind of a nice setup.
So your opti cam signal is only there for the XFI to pulse the injectors, and the opti no longer has anything to do with ignition timing?
Old 03-17-2024, 08:47 PM   #4
LS1Racer

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Correct., Crank reference settings are important for this setup, on the opti dist rotor phasing is kind of set.
This is from BS3 site, I clipped the part out for what you were asking.

Type 3 - MSD Distributor Used to Only Distribute Spark from an MSD 6A/7A/8… box, with a
Crank Trigger.
Using a crank trigger and a CDI ignition module, like an MSD 6A, a distributor can be setup to just
distribute spark, when used in conjunction with a crank trigger.
Quick Setup Guide
• Find TDC, cylinder number one (1), compression stroke. See Find_TDC on page 20.
• Roll the engine back to 50o
BTDC.
• Install the crank trigger making sure the arrows on the crank trigger wheel are going on the
correct direction! See Crank_Trigger_Considerations on page 21.
• Line up the crank trigger sensor with the magnet in the wheel. Connect the red BigStuff3 wire
to green crank trigger wire. Connect other crank trigger wire to BigStuff3 black wire.
• Roll the engine back to the position BTDC (cylinder 1) equal to the max power timing.

• Install the distributor then “bump” the starter until it engages the oil pump drive while applying
a light downward pressure. Once the oil pump drive is engaged, rotate the engine back to the
timing mark on the dampener that will represent the maximum timing the engine will see at full
power. Turn the base of the distributor so that the distributor cap terminal for cylinder number
1 is aligned with the rotor in this position. Tighten the distributor down.
• Connect the BigStuff3 points wire (white) to the MSD ignition box points input.
• In the BigComm Software (Operating Configuration), set the crank reference setting to 50. See
Setting_The_Crank_Reference on page 25.
• Start the engine, with the engine still running verify that the BigStuff3 “Dash” timing advance
value equals the timing value seen (with a timing light) at the crank. Change the crank
reference value in the Crank Trigger window (in the Operating Configuration table), up or
down, until the “Dash” value and the crank value are the same. See Dash_Window on page 29.
• Dynamically check the rotor phase. See Dynamically_Checking_Rotor_Phasing on page 30.
• Lastly, you will want to verify cam synchronization. See Verifying_Synchronization on page

I have a gutted opti distributor with new MSD Cap and rotor that we used before in the parts for sale section if you are interested.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by LS1Racer; 03-17-2024 at 08:50 PM. Reason: added text
LS1Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 09:19 PM   #5
e vassar

We never paid a lot of attention to these things as we bought the car race ready. It always ran pretty good until it didn't. Long story short we had a cracked cylinder wall. A new block some machine shop work our engine guy assembled the engine along with a new MSD opti spark. We cannot find (yet) any issues with the rebuild. But the car is lazy and extremely inconsistent. I could be wrong but it sure acts like timing issues
Old 03-17-2024, 09:35 PM   #6
LS1Racer

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Do you have a timing pointer on the engine? On the MSD opti at least on the fast xfi crank reference angle is set at 1 degree. I always use the fixed timing setting in the software to verify that the ecu and actual timing on the damper are the same. Looking at the BS3 it seems to be the same procedure except maybe for optispark crank reference.
Old 03-17-2024, 09:43 PM   #7
e vassar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1Racer View Post
Do you have a timing pointer on the engine? On the MSD opti at least on the fast xfi crank reference angle is set at 1 degree. I always use the fixed timing setting in the software to verify that the ecu and actual timing on the damper are the same. Looking at the BS3 it seems to be the same procedure except maybe for optispark crank reference.
We will check. At this point we may just need to log some runs and try to figure out what is going on here. We have a T&T Sunday night at a local track,but it can be sketchy if you know what I mean.
Thanks for the help so far