HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-19-2020, 07:21 AM   #21
KRatcliff

Liked 502 Times in 135 Posts
Default Re: SS/GT classes transmission?

Maybe this will help. Wesley explained to me that the NHRA rule book is written in a positive manner. In other words, you can’t do it unless it says you can do it. You can’t run an automatic in a stick only original combination that is in the guide because the rule book doesn’t say you can do it.

You are looking for a nuanced reason to be able to run one because you cannot find a direct reference as to it being illegal. There are some references as to prohibited items such as aluminum driveshafts unless originally equipped.

I think it would help you understand the rule book better if you read it in the manner it was written.
KRatcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:12 AM   #22
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRatcliff View Post
Maybe this will help. Wesley explained to me that the NHRA rule book is written in a positive manner. In other words, you can’t do it unless it says you can do it. You can’t run an automatic in a stick only original combination that is in the guide because the rule book doesn’t say you can do it.

You are looking for a nuanced reason to be able to run one because you cannot find a direct reference as to it being illegal. There are some references as to prohibited items such as aluminum driveshafts unless originally equipped.

I think it would help you understand the rule book better if you read it in the manner it was written.
Thank you. This is the best take on reading the rulebook I have come across. I'm too analytical for my own good sometimes. Reading between the lines just won't work here.
Thanks again.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:05 AM   #23
KRatcliff

Liked 502 Times in 135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSale View Post
Thank you. This is the best take on reading the rulebook I have come across. I'm too analytical for my own good sometimes. Reading between the lines just won't work here.
Thanks again.
Thank you and you are welcome. I didn’t realize that was the way we were to read the rulebook until I started hammering Wesley with questions. That was when he had me back up and read it again with the mindset it was written in a positive manner.

I can see your original point and I had similar questions, but after he schooled me as he often does it became clearer. He got tired of me asking if the medical grade nitrous would break down Royal Purple 10 wt before the end of Indy. With class and all we make a lot of passes.
KRatcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 12:15 PM   #24
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts

A way to cross reference engine-transmission application is to look at the Tech Bulletin for the engine in question. The carburetor list will show OEM carburetors and their usage with the engine. If it only lists "SM" application ("sychromesh" or "standard manual") the engine was only available with a manual transmission. In the case of the 1969 Ford 302-290hp, the 1969 Ford tech bulletin lists "Holl C9ZF-J/SM ONLY,(3069)" as the legal carb selection. Since it says "SM ONLY", the engine was available with a manual transmission only. In the same way, on the same bulletin the carb for the 429-320hp engine shows "Ford C9AF-J/AUTO ONLY", which means that engine was only available with an automatic transmission. The other engines on the 1969 Ford tech bulletin have both SM and Auto carburetors listed so they can be considered to be able to use either type of transmission. That determines classification whether or not the class guide indicates manual or automatic.

Maybe this will help some with those determinations.