HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Stock/Super Stock Associations > Midwest Class Racers
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-02-2014, 02:53 PM   #1
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Default Econo Mod or Econo SS

Randy Wilson and I have had discussions in the SS section on creating a "basic" class as an entry level and Inexpensive class level car. I wondered if people who read this area have noticed our discussions? Car would be basic older SS rule car with no FWD cars. Engine would be run on Lb /cubic inch like mod. Carb and manifold and Brodex heads spec and crank, rods pistons subject to viewing by inspection hole in pan.
Many who might be sitting with outdated machines could build the cheaper motor and have fun and be competitive again without being bankrupt. Many who are thinking of quiting due to high cost and 100,000 new cars could build a cheaper motor and join easily.
Discussion is requested as Manufacturers express interest in a more basic class too. Would you be interested?
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:34 PM   #2
randy wilson

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Default Re: Econo Mod or Econo SS

Come on. Someone say something.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:58 PM   #3
MAURICE BLENDHEIM

Liked 228 Times in 78 Posts

Randy…A while back Dick and I shared some thoughts and ideas on another thread about something similar. I and mentioned an entry level class using S-10's ,Rangers and Dakotas allowing all brand competition in original form. Most importantly rear wheel drive. I figured a 360" maximum (any configuration of bore and stroke), flat top piston,.630 lift max. , Edelbrock RPM Heads and RPM intake (dual plane), 750 Holley and pump gas. Dana's, 12 bolts or 9" rears would be legal to all brands. Chassis modified for 29.5x 11.5 max tire, Cal-tracs or any other bolt on traction assistance. Must retain stock style full interior, spec cage, must retain factory installed type appearance in every stage of construction. Fit , Finish and appearance would be "priority one" to attract new competitors and interest to the class. A minimum weight would be established and allowance of accepted fibreglass components. Old traditional cars are hard to find and require a large amount of cash to obtain usually (although it would be nice). I thought the pick ups would be good because every local paper have them advertised, the engine combination would allow an easy 500hp. The more creative will set the benchmark, but the father and son teams would still be a contender with a budget approach. Anyone involved would want to competitively progress to the limitations of the rear tire. It may also allow the "dime rocket" guys to get realistic. I will never forgive the sanctioning body for it's disrespectful decision to eliminate ProStock Truck. A class like this would be encouraging to youth… maybe a LS , Hemi or Modular class would evolve. Just a couple of cents worth…Maurice.
MAURICE BLENDHEIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:20 PM   #4
Bob Sherwood

Liked 332 Times in 51 Posts

If you want racers to support this , why are you creating all the rules (restrictions) --- tire size, body, fwd, you are forcing racers to convert something they already have or build something to fit. Why not just have rules for the engine? Why try to police all that other stuff?
Bob Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:58 PM   #5
MAURICE BLENDHEIM

Liked 228 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sherwood View Post
If you want racers to support this , why are you creating all the rules (restrictions) --- tire size, body, fwd, you are forcing racers to convert something they already have or build something to fit. Why not just have rules for the engine? Why try to police all that other stuff?
It's just an idea. Yes these vehicles would have to be built specific, but theoretically should be all on a level playing field. By the time you trim off whats not necessary any of these trucks could potentially weigh 2600-3000lbs. and with a cost effective 500-550hp should be a mid ten second program with ease. The tire size is adequate to run in the low 9's and minimal modifications would be required for fitment and the traction assistance would allow a simple installation. The trucks are all full frame. I'm not forcing anyone to do anything. It's just an idea and I'm over it now! MB.
MAURICE BLENDHEIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:05 PM   #6
JRyan

Liked 104 Times in 28 Posts

My question to Dick is WHY are you even on our Midwest Class Racer site promoting your BS. This association seems to have become very successful using EXISTING rules. There are lots of new traditional Stockers & Superstockers being built out here as I write, so it's doubtful we need additional rules.

See if you can organize a racers association out in YOUR area that matches ours, and then try your idea there. If it's successful, maybe others will pick it up.

Sorry if this seems mean, but Dick's post is way off-base for inclusion in the MCR forum.

Randy, the reason nobody has really responded, is probably because they're more kind than I am.

Jerry

Last edited by JRyan; 04-05-2014 at 02:07 PM. Reason: wrong name
JRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:55 PM   #7
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

Jerry, Sorry If I posted on a semi private site. Maybe I am just unfamiliar with your site and who you represent. When I saw the name S and SS racers I was curious for your thoughts.
I had wondered if anyone on your area was concerned with costs. Any input on simplifying and cutting costs of Class racing was my question. Thanks and again sorry if all your group are totally pleased with S and SS as is....
As for promoting my BS I have no promotional agenda just thoughts of improvements.

Last edited by Dick Butler; 04-05-2014 at 09:00 PM.
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote