HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech

Old 12-26-2009, 12:20 PM   #11
63corvette

Liked 279 Times in 87 Posts
Default Re: Super Class rule clarification

I have witnessed this one time and the driver was given the suggestion of changing the rear gears and not having the issue by NHRA tech.
The driver was warned as the limiter was a rpm limiting device before the finish line and was considered to be illegal used in that way. Limiter devices are considered safety devices by NHRA tech I would guess.
I was just parked nearby when the tech personnel visited the racer.
Just What I Witnessed
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:43 PM   #12
CBS
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

No Freddie....you can't hit the chip on the high end....intentionally.....(it does work though)....but you would be turned in in Div 3...and I bet my Div 2 buddies wouldn't be happy either....

on the Fi question.....cutting the fuel is fine as long as you close the throttle some amount....with a linkage stop or something similar....just cutting the fuel would be suspect and sooner or later someone wouldn't like it....I'm not making the rules...only giving you my opinion....nothing else...

Rock
CBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 06:17 PM   #13
Freddie

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBS View Post
No Freddie....you can't hit the chip on the high end....intentionally.....(it does work though)....but you would be turned in in Div 3...and I bet my Div 2 buddies wouldn't be happy either....

Rock
Not intentional.. but I need the gear to get the car to leave and run the #'s, but for some reason the car hits the chip at around 1100'. I can prob. put a 500rpm higher chip in it and not hurt anything, but I dont like to run my FORD much over 7500 as it is...

I dont know how much of a issue it will be because I have never run it with a stop on it, and the car will definaly need to be slowed down.... I have been 9.2's so far, and thats with hitting the chip.
NMRA 2012 Outlaw 10.5 #10

Last edited by Freddie; 12-26-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 06:54 PM   #14
danny waters sr
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lightbulb Re: Super Class rule clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
Not intentional.. but I need the gear to get the car to leave and run the #'s, but for some reason the car hits the chip at around 1100'. I can prob. put a 500rpm higher chip in it and not hurt anything, but I dont like to run my FORD much over 7500 as it is...

I dont know how much of a issue it will be because I have never run it with a stop on it, and the car will definaly need to be slowed down.... I have been 9.2's so far, and thats with hitting the chip.
Leave at lower rpm and short shift and or add weight.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:36 AM   #15
C and W Racing

Liked 10 Times in 1 Post

Quote:

Freddie, what size engine and what gear do you run? I like you, run Ford engines in both my cars and without knowing what gear you are running find it hard to believe that by changing it you would have a problem cutting a light. In my ranger I ran a 4.29 gear and could go red anywhere, even on those .370 tree's. My thunderbird I run a 4.10 gear now, but had a 4.29 gear in it before and saw no difference at the tree. With that car I have had as many as 40 numbers in the box even with the 4.10 gear. A Ford engine makes more torque than a chevy so it can be geared different. Also it will make it's power at a lower rpm so if the truth is known you will run faster by regearing your car as well.
Chuck
C and W Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:50 AM   #16
Freddie

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

When I set the car up it was set up in NMRA H/S trim with a 363 small block that will easily take 8500+. car has a 4.30 gear in it now, and a little smaller 363, I could not justify spending the $$$ to try NMRA anymore as they have gotten WAY out of hand.

New motor I would like to keep around 7500 so it will last longer. Car is still running the 28x10.5's and sitting at 2650 race wieght. I changed converters this year also, I can go red on a .370 tree with no issues, car has been 9.teens, and usually runs through the traps at 8800. For local bracket racing I put a 7000 chip in it since almost everything brackets now is on the 1/8 it didnt matter... I was thinking about putting the 3.73's back in it, and just let it kill off the first 100' or so... then see how much more I need to slow it down to run S/G..
Old 12-29-2009, 05:50 PM   #17
sc1153

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to sc1153

Quote:
Ok, I have a question on this.. I have heard many sides of electronic devices to control down track speeds....

Here is a question: IF my motor has a redline of say 7800rpm, and I use a 7500 rpm chip, lets say the car hits the high side chip at 1100' into the run...... You guys are saying this is not legal? So I am supposed to put a higher chip in and take a chance of over-reving the motor and breaking it????
First no race motor has an EXACT redline, just where it stops making power. Yes if you are hitting the chip it is illegal. Now there is no way for NHRA to police and / or prove that you are doing it for that far down track. I have raced a few people that do hit the high chip. (being faster car) You are making up no ground between each other, then you make a huge move late. Kinda screws you up. But YES illegal
sc1153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:35 PM   #18
Freddie

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Chris: I realize there is no "SET" RPM limit on any motor, however when using FORD's you really dont want to push them much over 7500 for long unless you have a killer bottom end.... Unlike the Chevy, they just cant take the RRR's...

Like I also posted I dont know even if this will be an issue as I have not run the car on the stop yet, and will need to in order to run either S/G or S/ST..