HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-30-2007, 09:13 PM   #1
Freddie

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Fuel Cell HELP !!!

I am trying to make sure I have enerything in order before I go to the first divisional race this year...

I have a 90 Mustang hatch, with a fuel cell mounted in the trunk, I had a box built around it but it didnt enclose it 100 %, the bottom of this is still the stock floor..

What do I need to enclose this in to become NHRA accepted?

I was thinking about mounting a small 3 gal. cell up front if this is legal?

Or should I just build a better box? how do I seal it?

Thanks in advance....
Freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:14 AM   #2
GaryGoFast

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Fuel Cell HELP !!!

I have a 90 Mustang hatch, with a fuel cell mounted in the trunk, I had a box built around it but it didnt enclose it 100 %, the bottom of this is still the stock floor..What do I need to enclose this in to become NHRA accepted?

If it can be seen from the front , I think it has to be fully encased, no firewall between tank and driver is not legal uncovered.

I was thinking about mounting a small 3 gal. cell up front if this is legal?

You can mount a cell up front but it has to have tubes in front to protect against a front hit

Or should I just build a better box? how do I seal it?

check jegs or summitt if they offer something for your application
GaryGoFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:38 AM   #3
dak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The 3 gal fuel cell is legal up front. (SP Pro S/st SG SC) For the purpose of safety the tech guys I deal with like to see a bar in the front of the cell.. But... If the car has a steel front end on it (ie fenders/grill) it is legal. I would check the rule book to make sure it has not been changed. I had it questioned at a National event from an out of division tech guy, he was going on about it having to be behind a tube in case of impact. I had a tech guy from my division come buy while the guy was proceeding to tear me a new one. I asked our divisional guy why I wasn't dinged on this at the last divisional. His reply was direct and to the point. Your car is built with in the rules, If you had a glass nose on the car you'd need a bar protecting the cell... The tech guy looked at me with a blank look on his face and asked me "the front end is fiberglass isn't it???? No all steel
dak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:06 AM   #4
Freddie

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks guys... I decided to build a better box..

it is now fully enclosed not only within the spare tire tub, but I also enclosed that some more.. then I sprayed foam around the box only were it was under the new aluminum floor and above the steel floor...

it dont rattle anymore either...
Freddie is offline   Reply With Quote