HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech

Old 07-24-2019, 07:07 PM   #1
buzzinhalfdozen

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Default Onan 4000 Microquiet

The kids generator locked up on him, thinking he had damaged the engine as his motorhome was leaning to one side. Anyway I pulled it out and removed the engine side cover to see how bad it was, engines fine wound up finding the starter drive jammed into the flywheel. So now I need a new side cover gasket and would like to know... do I replace the starter as an assembly or locate a new drive for it? Damn things made of plastic, so not sure how to proceed. Final question, what's the best source for these parts? Thanks in advance for any replies. Joe
Old 07-24-2019, 08:02 PM   #2
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts
Default Re: Onan 4000 Microquiet

Starters are cheap and yes they do that. You’ll have to get a gasket and a starter. Lots of places selling Onan parts online. Amazon sells everything. Google Onan parts and you should be able to get what you need.

Here’s a good source for Onan parts. Don’t know if you can get that gasket though.

I buy direct from Cummins-Onan and some other sources like this place occasionally

https://www.partsfortechs.com/asapcart/

Last edited by Rich Biebel; 07-24-2019 at 08:06 PM.
Rich Biebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:30 AM   #3
buzzinhalfdozen

Got my sons generator back together and running. It ran for two weekends at the track. He told me it shut itself off last Sunday, it cranks and starts, but he says it seems to rev fairly high then shut off. Only blinks code 3 (service required) does that cause this shut down, and if so how do you reset it?
Old 08-13-2019, 10:19 AM   #4
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

When its blinking 3 times, push it to stop one time and it will show you a fault code for why it shut down.

Over speed is a 1-4 code...

If there is something interfering with the governor rod to the carb it may be your issue.

66Hz for a few seconds and it will shut down in over speed....

Need a meter that can read frequency to see what the engine speed/frequency is.....Should be 62 with no load applied....

You can recall the last shutdown fault code by pushing stop 3 times and then it will again blink 3 times.....push stop ONCE after it is blinking 3 times .....read that code...Usually a series of 2 numbers separated by a pause...

1 pause 4 is over speed...…

Last edited by Rich Biebel; 08-13-2019 at 08:06 PM.
Rich Biebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:33 PM   #5
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 831 Times in 290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzinhalfdozen View Post
Got my sons generator back together and running. It ran for two weekends at the track. He told me it shut itself off last Sunday, it cranks and starts, but he says it seems to rev fairly high then shut off. Only blinks code 3 (service required) does that cause this shut down, and if so how do you reset it?
If you need ,look me up or call me Joe. I repaired a 3 year old 4000 we bought new that Onan said was unrepairable. It was only a few months out of warranty . We bought another NEW one. When we picked up the new one, the old one was dis-assembled from Onans appraisal. I looked it over and thought I would take a crack at fixing it. After wearing down the brushes, the brush holder had gotten caught and twisted somewhat. In the process it bugered up the supply wires . I put some shrink wrap over the bad wire, installed a new brush and holder assembly and fired it up on the table. It seems to output just fine.

Last edited by Jeff Niceswanger; 08-13-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Jeff Niceswanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 02:27 PM   #6
buzzinhalfdozen

Well it does have a code14 in it. My kid says he can see the governor arm and linkage moving, so I told him to try to slow it down by holding the governor arm, says it still quits. He's been on the web t
looking for possible fixes, not sure yet if he's found any. Thanks Jeff I'll touch base with you if he can't get it figured out. It is your old generators engine in it, been going for years.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:19 AM   #7
buzzinhalfdozen

The kid finally made it over with his motorhome, found the problem with his generator, the throttle shaft broke right where the top blade screw goes through. He has another carb so should have it fixed tonight. Thanks everyone for you help.