HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-30-2020, 12:39 AM   #11
older racer

Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts
Default Re: Cylinder head heat crossover?

hi, I found .015 stainless sheet works excellent. used same ones for last 10 years, has never burned out or blew a hole through it. mine are 2" by 2 1/2 "just food for thought.
older racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:01 PM   #12
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 937 Times in 258 Posts

On my 390/427/428 FE Fords, I have always blocked the exhaust crossover opening in the intake gaskets with a piece of an old butter knife, trimmed to fit inside the slot in the gasket. I have tried the gaskets with the unopened crossover holes, but they always burnt thru in short order. I always found it interesting that NHRA will not allow you to fill the head passage down into the bowl, yet the approved Edelbrock heads have no provisions for the crossover passages at all, but thats OK.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:50 PM   #13
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory McNeil View Post
On my 390/427/428 FE Fords, I have always blocked the exhaust crossover opening in the intake gaskets with a piece of an old butter knife, trimmed to fit inside the slot in the gasket. I have tried the gaskets with the unopened crossover holes, but they always burnt thru in short order. I always found it interesting that NHRA will not allow you to fill the head passage down into the bowl, yet the approved Edelbrock heads have no provisions for the crossover passages at all, but thats OK.
NHRA will allow you to fill the passage as long as it does not extend into the bowl and make an extension of the port ceiling surface. I used Plaster of Paris poured into the crossover passage to within about 1/2" of the port. Usually wadded up tissue stuffed into the passage from the port side served as the boundary. Once it was heated, it was like ceramic. Never had a problem.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:16 PM   #14
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Liked 116 Times in 48 Posts

I have always used zinc...that's what Mondello sold....
I buy a ingot of zinc alloy from Mc Master Carr industrial supply it is about 12'' long 3'' wide and 2'' thick will do 2-3 sets of SBC.
Olds might get 2 sets out it..
next set I do I may melt down some old pistons since I accumulate about 6-8 55 gallon drums a year that I scrap...
I have blocked off a SBC intake.. I filled all the heat riser and EGR passages...
intake was cracked under carb so I filled it to prevent vacuum leaks to EGR passages and it has been through teardown....
I think filling head is better to keep heat out of heads
Mike Taylor 3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:00 PM   #15
Ron Miller

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Taylor 3601 View Post
I have always used zinc...that's what Mondello sold....
I buy a ingot of zinc alloy from Mc Master Carr industrial supply it is about 12'' long 3'' wide and 2'' thick will do 2-3 sets of SBC.
Olds might get 2 sets out it..
next set I do I may melt down some old pistons since I accumulate about 6-8 55 gallon drums a year that I scrap...
I have blocked off a SBC intake.. I filled all the heat riser and EGR passages...
intake was cracked under carb so I filled it to prevent vacuum leaks to EGR passages and it has been through teardown....
I think filling head is better to keep heat out of heads
Mike, A machine shop that I did business with did just that. They were a low buck shop. They used a Colemen camp stove to heat a cast-iron skillet and melted down the old cast pistons. I know they did this in some Oldsmobile heads and maybe even some Cleveland heads. Also in early December, they sold 4 to 5 barrels full of old cast pistons to a scrapper. The money earned would pay to throw a Shop Christmas party. I miss the shop, lots of Good Times.
Ron Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 11:35 PM   #16
HP HUNTER

Liked 238 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
I don't know that you can't block the intake, if they let you fill the head all the way down to the port.
You could take a chunk of 1/4 " aluminum or steel and make a plug with tapered sides, and bang it in there.
No bubble packs here, unless we have to.

"No bubble packs here"

I could of sworn that was you standing in the window waiting for the UPS truck intently LOL
HP HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:41 PM   #17
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 132 Times in 48 Posts
Post Re: Cylinder head heat crossover?

On applications that can use sheetmetal to block the crossover, I've had good luck with aluminum (thicker than cans) if glued & coated on the inside with a good hi-temp silicone to help insulate it.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:22 PM   #18
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Liked 116 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Miller View Post
Mike, A machine shop that I did business with did just that. They were a low buck shop. They used a Colemen camp stove to heat a cast-iron skillet and melted down the old cast pistons. I know they did this in some Oldsmobile heads and maybe even some Cleveland heads. Also in early December, they sold 4 to 5 barrels full of old cast pistons to a scrapper. The money earned would pay to throw a Shop Christmas party. I miss the shop, lots of Good Times.
I have bought a new set of slicks past 4 years and bought my Hans device a few years ago with my scrap money...I have a 02 S-10 and a 4'X8' single axle trailer I haul it on.. I have pulled on the scales @10,400lbs before,the 10 and trailer weigh about 4200lbs....
the scrap yard is only about 3-4 miles away and I go about 25-35 mph and I have been nervous if I would make it there...
Mike Taylor 3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-03-2020, 10:53 PM   #19
Dave Gantz

Liked 223 Times in 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Taylor 3601 View Post
I have bought a new set of slicks past 4 years and bought my Hans device a few years ago with my scrap money...I have a 02 S-10 and a 4'X8' single axle trailer I haul it on.. I have pulled on the scales @10,400lbs before,the 10 and trailer weigh about 4200lbs....
the scrap yard is only about 3-4 miles away and I go about 25-35 mph and I have been nervous if I would make it there...
There can be money in scrap. Be careful!
Dave Gantz is offline   Reply With Quote