HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 03-26-2020, 08:11 PM   #1
Jim Hanig

Liked 97 Times in 47 Posts
Question oil filters

Any one out their had a oil filters collapse ? I have had the oil changed in are street car at the dealership, . since we are on lock down I thought I would do it my self.This is a 2013 2.4 chevy equinox with 70000 miles on it. Have not had any trouble with it. this time when i pulled the oil filter out it looked like a squashed. All used 5/30 gm dous.
Any thoughts
Jim Hanig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:29 PM   #2
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,628 Times in 502 Posts
Default Re: oil filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hanig View Post
Any one out their had a oil filters collapse ? I have had the oil changed in are street car at the dealership, . since we are on lock down I thought I would do it my self.This is a 2013 2.4 chevy equinox with 70000 miles on it. Have not had any trouble with it. this time when i pulled the oil filter out it looked like a squashed. All used 5/30 gm dous.
Any thoughts
I have had them collapse.. check the inside of the filter and see if it is plastic. Those are the ones I had issues with. They were AC Delco. Now I always look in the filter to make sure it is metal inside not plastic. Cost me an engine.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:08 PM   #3
Chuck Gallagher

Liked 133 Times in 28 Posts

Jim;
I've seen this happen more then once and usually around this time of year when the temperature is in the 20-50 degree range. Street oil filters have a tighter mesh than racing filters and if the engine temp doesn't get the oil hot enough to evaporate moisture in the oil from a stuck open thermostat or just too much short trip stop start driving, the moisture will eventually plug the filter media. The oil pump pressure is trying to get oil past the plugged filtering element which distorts inside the filter shell. This can also do bearing damage and will show lower oil pressures if you have a gauge and not just a low pressure oil light. This is why lots of very short trip driving can be really bad on maintaining oil quality. Also see the attached link for additional information with illustrations about this problem. http://knowhow.napaonline.com/what-c...lter-collapse/

Last edited by Chuck Gallagher; 03-27-2020 at 08:54 AM. Reason: New additional information
Chuck Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 03-26-2020, 10:17 PM   #4
Jody Lang

Liked 81 Times in 25 Posts

If out of warranty go with a Wix or Napa filter.

Glad you’ve not had any trouble with it. We had the same year, engine, but less mileage. It used oil like you wouldn’t believe. Rings were sticking in the pistons.
Jody Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:44 AM   #5
Jim Hanig

Liked 97 Times in 47 Posts
Cool Re: oil filters

Thanks for the replys. `I wondered why the filters where from 2.70 to 20.00 I will be using the better ones from now on. The 2.4 engine are not much good i find after buy one.
Jim Hanig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:45 AM   #6
gmjimk

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

All good info. The early 2.4 GDI motors really had problems and had to have the oil companies come to the rescue with DEXOS. Oil quality and change frequency is super important now with Variable Valve Timing and Variable Valve Lift technology. Any kind of debris will plug the tiny holes will make lights come on and cost money.
As an outside salesman I bought a new 06 HHR with a 2.4 (non GDI) for the mileage and its workability . My recipe was AC Delco (Hengst) oil filters and Mobil 1. I drove it 368k before a box truck with a lift gate backed into it and totalled it.
gmjimk is offline   Reply With Quote