HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech

Old 02-03-2021, 11:51 PM   #1
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 502 Times in 125 Posts
Default Towing w/ a gas/electric cart

I have been looking for a used golf cart to tow my Cobalt at the track. Right now for what I can spend electrics are in my price range. Has anyone had any luck towing with an electric cart? Thanks Ed
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:42 AM   #2
Painter

Liked 161 Times in 45 Posts
Default Re: Towing w/ a gas/electric cart

Electric carts have instant torque when you take off. And there are aftermarket controllers that make even more power. Simply upgrading the battery cable size helps.
BUT, all the disadvantages are amplified when you tow with one. The batteries run down quicker and don’t last as long. Make certain you price a set of batteries to fit the cart you are looking at before you buy. They are not all the same. Buying gas every week is a lot easier than $8-9 hundred dollars all at once. When one battery goes bad you better put in a set.
Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:03 AM   #3
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 290 Posts

While I don't own a golf cart, I probably would prefer electric.

However I have a friend with a couple of race cars and when his daughter started running a Jr Dragster he had to replace his electric golf cart with a gas cart because the batteries would not last a race towing the little dragster around.

So if I had a car that was going to be towed I would go gas.
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:43 AM   #4
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,681 Times in 852 Posts

Many are using the smart car providing there’s room in the trailer. Bonus being you can run out of the track in one although I’d recommend staying off interstates LOL. Electric smart cars are around and not much more than a golf cart.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-04-2021, 07:27 PM   #5
Sean Marconette

Liked 165 Times in 60 Posts

Hi Ed,
I would suggest looking at a used gas golf cart. We have 3 different golf cart places in Kansas City that buy golf course fleets and refurbish and customize them, as well as sell new. We replaced our 1989 2 stroke gas EZGO last year with a 2006 Yamaha EFI for $4800. I then sold the EZGO for $1200. The Yamaha came with headlights and taillights added, plus a new windshield. The fleet carts also have the governors turned down to 10-12 MPH, so the engines are not abused. My wife said the new cart was too slow. We replaced the wheels/tires and adjusted the governor, it will now get up to 29 MPH and not hit the EFI rev limiter, and that is fast enough. I fabricated a tow hook that is also used as the rear tie down, it will easily pull my car around.

The cost of replacing batteries and lugging a charger around could become quite expensive in the long run, I am not sure what the weight difference is, something else to consider. I would think in your area you have even more places, than what I found here. Good luck and hope to see you at the races.

Sean
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 09:11 PM   #6
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts

part of the problem with whatever you buy is now the latest fad is that everyone that has a "lake" property or hangs out at a "campground/rv park for the summer feels they need one---because of this the prices for "any" cart that runs whether gas or electric helps keep the prices steady -- no "beaters any more guys that know what they are doing buy them CHEAP and fix em up and sell em for big bucks--- most golf courses lease them for a summer maybe 2 then return them and get new ones in exchange--an electric cart will last for 18 holes on a single charge probably more so how far is that about 4 miles ? if you are driving around the pit area for 4 miles you need another mode of transportation--FED 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 08:32 AM   #7
SGSST109E

Liked 124 Times in 58 Posts

A gas cart is the only way to go
SGSST109E is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-06-2021, 07:36 AM   #8
Shake & Bake

Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Towing w/ a gas/electric cart

x2 what SGSST109E said.
Shake & Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 08:24 PM   #9
Bob Mulry
VIP Member

Liked 321 Times in 101 Posts

I live on 4 acres and I had a Kawasaki Mule for property maintenance. Long story short during the property settlement the Mule got sold. So after using my gas golf cart around the property, it was only a matter of time until I hurt myself. I measured up the cart and went looking for a replacement. I found a 2012 Polaris Ranger 500 EFI was 7” shorter then the golf cart. $4,000 later I had a dual purpose vehicle that would also fit in my trailer and I got $1,000 for my old golf cart. Now all I have to is get cracking on the car.

Just an alternative to a golf cart....
Old 02-12-2021, 10:41 AM   #10
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,640 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Carpenter View Post
I have been looking for a used golf cart to tow my Cobalt at the track. Right now for what I can spend electrics are in my price range. Has anyone had any luck towing with an electric cart? Thanks Ed
I have a gas Yamaha cart. I would highly recommend one. If you get an electric cart you will want a 48 volt model. Also make sure the batteries are brand new when you purchase the cart. 8 batteries will cost quite a bit to replace. I have heard they are good for about two years then they start to degrade. Charging at the track would be the biggest issue. To get a good charge you would have to run the generator all night.