HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-03-2016, 12:15 PM   #1
richie 2

Liked 155 Times in 71 Posts
Default need to decide...

I have enough parts to build either an older GM surburban or an early chevy ramp truck....either unit need to go bracket racing. need pro n cons, which would be best. tks.
richie 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:38 PM   #2
Tar Heel

Default Re: need to decide...

I'm guessing if you build the Suburban you'll need to buy a trailer so that would be a con unless you already have one. A pro going that way though would be in you already had an enclosed trailer so that the car would be protected and you could store things in the Suburban and sleep in it if necessary.

The biggest pro for the ramp truck would be the cool factor! Those are just plain neat! Also a pro that you don't need a trailer. Cons are that the car is exposed to weather, thieves, etc. and there isn't much room for spare equipment or people.

I would say the Suburban if you already have a trailer.

Scott
Old 03-03-2016, 05:21 PM   #3
richie 2

failed to mention there is no trailer. I believe a couple cabnets under the ramp bed would work for floor jack, gen., tool box....its a 67 chevy one ton so way yes on the cool factor....
Old 03-03-2016, 09:53 PM   #4
Lew Silverman
VIP Member

Liked 129 Times in 59 Posts

Without a trailer your only option is the ramp truck.

Having used both types of vehicles there are definite advantages to both, but depending on your situation, also significant disadvantages -

1. Unless you have another vehicle the ramp truck can be a PITA to use as every day transportation, so a Suburban makes sense here.
  2. If you have a Suburban, you'll need a trailer, and a place to keep it when not hauling the race car, so here the Hauler makes sense. The Suburban also isn't the easiest vehicle to haul large heavy parts in, at least without having to unload everything you've already loaded up!
  3. If you're building a truck, or modifying one, consider adding a sleeper to the back of the cab, you'll appreciate not having to sleep on the front seat bent around the floor-shifter and steering wheel.
  4. Properly set-up the Suburban can be a decent tow vehicle, but the hauler would be easier (and less nerve-wracking) to use.
  5. Are you concerned about fuel mileage? 7000 pound Suburban's with 6500 pound trailers get really lousy gas mileage!!
Good luck with your project! I miss my ramp truck, but my Suburban has been a "work-in-progress" for many years! PM me if I can help in any way!
Lew Silverman #2070
"The Wagon Master" N/SA
Lew Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:18 PM   #5
Tim H
VIP Member

Liked 430 Times in 142 Posts

I have had 2 Suburbans for tow vehicles,(1985 and 1993). Both have served me well, however I only pull an open trailer. I also like that I can use my Suburban as an everyday vehicle if req'd. Years ago my dad had a 1971 GMC ramp truck and it was a pain in the ***** to park at hockey rinks and school when I used to borrow it. It also had really poor traction in the winter. Just sayin'
Tim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:33 AM   #6
richie 2

tks. guys. I like the idea of load the car on the truck and off you go. friggin with trailers is a pain. we had two different rig's in the 80's and motored ! I could invest trailer money into the truck...wouldn't be using it on date nite either...this time a 383ci instead of a bigblock.

Last edited by richie 2; 03-08-2016 at 08:37 AM.