HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech

Old 05-05-2021, 06:21 PM   #1
J DeForrest

Liked 65 Times in 16 Posts
Default Towing with a Renegade Verona?

I probably should stick with my Dually, but keep wondering about something else.

Looking to see if anyone out there is towing their race trailer with a Renegade Verona. They have a Cummins L9 (8.9 liter) rated only at 350, but have 1150 Tq. I know it will probably get the job done, but would it be aggravating trying to pull a light stacker up a hill? Any input with this rig is appreciated. And yes, I have friends with 330hp motorhomes that have stackers, but they are not typically towing very far.

Thanks, Jason
Old 05-05-2021, 07:10 PM   #2
KRatcliff

Liked 502 Times in 135 Posts
Default Re: Towing with a Renegade Verona?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J DeForrest View Post
I probably should stick with my Dually, but keep wondering about something else.

Looking to see if anyone out there is towing their race trailer with a Renegade Verona. They have a Cummins L9 (8.9 liter) rated only at 350, but have 1150 Tq. I know it will probably get the job done, but would it be aggravating trying to pull a light stacker up a hill? Any input with this rig is appreciated. And yes, I have friends with 330hp motorhomes that have stackers, but they are not typically towing very far.

Thanks, Jason
I have one with that same engine. It tows my single car trailer that weighs 12,000 lbs. very well. It is stupid heavy for a single car trailer, but I wouldn't hesitate to tow a stacker with it at all. Mine is a 34Q. It also has 150 gallons of fresh water which is great for our needs.

You might note that the lower HP figure as compared to the pushers that will be 450 or so with the same torque is due to the torque figure being at a higher RPM than it is with the 8.9L in the Renegade. The HP figure might look good and will accelerate (in theory), but the Renegade will pull up the hills just fine.

There is very little between the 350 hp 8.9L and the 400 hp 8.9L Cummins except in this Freightliner chassis they couldn't quite get the cooling needed to rate it at 400 hp based on my understanding. Either way, it will pull your stacker well. Mine has a shorter overhang behind the rear axle which I liked for better tongue support.
KRatcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 05-06-2021, 12:44 PM   #3
J DeForrest

Liked 65 Times in 16 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Towing with a Renegade Verona?

Thanks for the reply Kyle. I knew someone had to have one. I was looking into a 34 for the same reason. Not too many out there.

Jason
Old 05-06-2021, 02:17 PM   #4
KRatcliff

Liked 502 Times in 135 Posts
Default Re: Towing with a Renegade Verona?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J DeForrest View Post
Thanks for the reply Kyle. I knew someone had to have one. I was looking into a 34 for the same reason. Not too many out there.

Jason
You are welcome. The 34 is hard to find, but we really like ours. The odd thing is that it seems to feel more stable with a trailer attached. It is a shorter wheelbase than the rest and does not have a tag axle. It almost feels like driving a single cab short bed truck of old without a trailer attached.

Last edited by KRatcliff; 05-07-2021 at 01:07 PM.
KRatcliff is offline   Reply With Quote