HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-19-2022, 08:53 AM   #1
John DiBartolomeo

Liked 1,283 Times in 159 Posts
Default Sportsman Or...

First off, I can’t thank the folks at Artisan Coffee enough for their sponsorship of my Blog. There are certainly a lot of racers and fans who are big coffee drinkers and I can’t urge you enough to support those who support us. Take a moment and join their Racing team at www.coffeebyartisan.com. Besides receiving a hat, T-shirt, along with updates on their racing efforts, you’re eligible to receive a discount on any of their coffees purchased through the website. Thank you.

Now… This is a topic which has been batted around for a while, most recently by my good friend Don O’Neal with regards to typecasting the racers in the core classes below the four NHRA professional classes. Those being the two alcohol classes, Top Dragster and Top Sportsman, Comp, Super Stock, Stock and the three super categories. They’ve always been known as Sportsman – which always brings up another question in my feeble mind, should that term be capitalized - but with the series itself sponsored by Lucas Oil, should they be more known as Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series competitors? And of course as usual, all of this is my own personal opinion, which as has been noted; is like certain parts of our anatomy, everyone has one. I certainly can sympathize with those wanting to change the name, but attempting to do so can be hard.

First of all, I think we all have to admit that as far as “sportsman racers” are concerned, other than a little bit of ink in the house organ, National Dragster, the promotion of those classes has been slim at best. Granted, the professional classes are what puts fans in the stands, but those in the Sportsman classes are every bit as deserving as a John Force or Greg Anderson. Most sportsman racers have quite a bit of money invested in the operation and the fact that with only a few exceptions, their income is not derived from racing. However, that doesn’t make them any less deserving of promotional support. We all know there are quite a few interesting stories in those classes.

When it comes to the actual definition of the word “sportsman,” it’s said to be “a person who engages in sports.” Sounds pretty self-explanatory, which may also include a professional racer. Just because they compete in a professional class doesn’t make them any different than a sportsman racer. Is the term demeaning in any way? I don’t honestly think so.

I don’t know how the term ever came into being when it comes to drag racing. That’s maybe a question for the ages. If you know the answer, please speak up. But generally speaking, the sport itself has coined some basic names for several of its racers; pros, sportsman, bracket racers, heads-up racers, small tire racers, street racers, etc. As a sportsman racer myself, I’ve been an avid supporter of all of those classes, pros included. In fact, I am as much a fan of all of them as any other class. Truth is the pros have enabled our sport to rise to the level it’s at today. But let’s not forget the support sportsman/bracket/etc. racers have given to drag racing.

So the question is: Should we begin calling sportsman racers, Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series racers? I think it would be rather hard to do something like that as the name has been a part of the sport for so long. I also think it’s admirable to want to rename those classes and they probably deserve it, but doing it? That could be tough.

Possibly the only way it can happen is for all of us to work together; racers, media, announcers, sanctioning body, etc. However, that could be likened to herding cats. I’ve never tried the cat scenario but it just sounds really hard to do.

If you’d like to read Don O’Neal’s take on the subject, click on the CompetitionPlus.com story at https://competitionplus.com/drag-rac...tsmen%E2%80%99.

Let me know your thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0129.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	61748   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3676.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	61749  
John DiBartolomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-19-2022, 10:21 AM   #2
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,701 Times in 852 Posts
Default Re: Sportsman Or...

Already put my two cents in….

https://classracer.com/classforum/sh...t=81145&page=2
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-19-2022, 01:14 PM   #3
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,649 Times in 521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcarter View Post
Yeah this is more or less a repeat….
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 01:57 PM   #4
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 219 Times in 79 Posts

Does it really matter. To me no. They can call us AAA, semi pro, the Busch series of drag racing. I’ve heard it all. It doesn’t change what we do. Or our love to do it. And you gotta love it to spend this much money right. So call it what ever you like. But it’s like street racing. Every time 1 or 2 or more knuckleheads have a bad wreck racing on the street. The media calls it drag racing. People get upset and send emails, post on social media blah blah. About how it’s street racing not drag racing. At best they acknowledge it. But the next big street race wreck happens. And the cycle repeats with them calling it drag racing. So you can try to change the name to Lucas oil Drag racer. But they’ll just keep saying sportsman. My point being. It’ll be tough to make that change. But with enough money as Forest Lucas and family have spent over the years. There should be more recognition for our us and our title sponsor. Maybe a name change will get Lucas more ROI. But again it’ll be tough to do.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 03:41 PM   #5

Liked 925 Times in 240 Posts

I don't know why the term "Sportsman racer" now offends some people. I've always considered the term to be someone who doesn't race to make a living. And it's alot either to say than Lucas oil drag racing series racers. What happens when the sponsor changes, we change the name again?
This was talked about when the article came out and it appears most aren't offended by it.

1342 SS/GT
1347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:32 PM   #6
e vassar

Liked 238 Times in 93 Posts

Seems a long time ago there were only pros...and everyone else. I always thought the Sportsman title sort of separated those folks from brackets. Move up from brackets to Sportsman and get the "enhanced experience" I think the label is fine. What does offend me a bit is a track or TV announcer claiming the Sportsman series is a training ground for Pros.....Uh no I have no desire to race in pro classes,even if the budget was there. The pros do what they do,and we do what we do. Both are very cool,and both are very difficult... just different.
e vassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 05:59 PM   #7
Superfan1
VIP Member

Liked 2,344 Times in 409 Posts
Smile Re: Sportsman Or...

I started the Don O'neil thread on Dec. 20, and I agree with everything that he said.