HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-15-2019, 09:12 AM   #1
Don Kennedy
VIP Member

Liked 803 Times in 213 Posts
Default Change the Way the National Championship ?

I feel the time has come to change the format for the National Championship Points race. In my opinion, I would like to have a year-end Race with Super Stock, Stock, Super Gas, and Super Comp. The top five in each class and in each division would all show up for the playoffs or I mean National Championship.
In all sports, there is a Playoff series at the end of the season to see who earns the right as the champion. This way an amateur would only have to travel to 5 division races. to win the right to the playoff race to crown the champion.Maybe everyone is ok with the way it is now ? any other opinions ?
Old 11-15-2019, 09:40 AM   #2
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,707 Times in 853 Posts
Default Re: Change the Way the National Championship ?

I soured on the “playoff” format long time ago when Mike Edwards lost the PS championship after running away from the pack during the ‘regular’ season. It adds more drama of course but to me the racer who has the best season should be the champ and the current format provides that. Also think the JEGS Allstars provides the opportunity for racers to gain recognition and still stick to running Divisionals. Under the suggested format a class racer could win every National event they enter, have no success at Divisional races and not make the playoffs.

Actually like the current format even if sometimes there’s not much drama at the Pomona Finals (the Vegas LODRS did; however, provide plenty of drama to the Divisional championships).
jmcarter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:14 AM   #3
Mark Markow

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

I don't like the whole playoff/ countdown idea . imagine yourself dominating the early part of the season , and then having all those points dismissed and having to start over? I also believe the racer with the most consistent strong finishes should win the title.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:22 AM   #4
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

Dumb idea.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:34 AM   #5
Floyd Staggs
VIP Member

Liked 220 Times in 95 Posts

They do it in the Summit ET series. Finalists from all 7 divisions come to Pomona to claim the national championship.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:51 AM   #6
Bill Grubbs

Liked 458 Times in 61 Posts

Lets have the final race in Gainesville, and Stockers can start at 7 AM...you know 4 AM west coast time... Yea that's the ticket.

Or maybe Epping in November...we can stay until the weather is nice enough to race...
The winner would be whoever could stay the longest. Kind of like whoever is the last person with their hand on the car wins it.
Bill Grubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:05 AM   #7
jamie2370

Liked 236 Times in 89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd Staggs View Post
They do it in the Summit ET series. Finalists from all 7 divisions come to Pomona to claim the national championship.
No, only the Division Champions got to Pomona. It is a 7 car race. And they get paid to show up and purse is winner takes all.
jamie2370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 11-15-2019, 03:36 PM   #8
Bobby DiDomenico

Liked 88 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcarter View Post
I soured on the “playoff” format long time ago when Mike Edwards lost the PS championship after running away from the pack during the ‘regular’ season.
If I recall correctly didn't Mike Neff miss the magic cutoff one year yet out point them? So he wasn't awarded the National Funny Car Championship.
Bobby DiDomenico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:17 PM   #9
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Kennedy View Post
I feel the time has come to change the format for the National Championship Points race. In my opinion, I would like to have a year-end Race with Super Stock, Stock, Super Gas, and Super Comp. The top five in each class and in each division would all show up for the playoffs or I mean National Championship.
In all sports, there is a Playoff series at the end of the season to see who earns the right as the champion. This way an amateur would only have to travel to 5 division races. to win the right to the playoff race to crown the champion.Maybe everyone is ok with the way it is now ? any other opinions ?
Sounds like the Bracket Finals. The top 6 cars from each D6 track converged on Pacific Raceway for a final shoot out. It was great fun but I don't know if it is a workable format on a National level.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:01 PM   #10
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,649 Times in 521 Posts

I say leave it the way it is! here’s my story, IHRA did this very thing and I believe, like many others that it did not make the best racer the champion
I was fortunate enough to win my first world championship under the old point system, yes I traveled around many miles but when I became the champion I had more round wins than anyone else in my class
Now my second IHRA world championship came under the playoff program. I was only third in my division and did not have a very good year but it got me into the one race playoff. I went to Memphis and was fortunate enough to win that race . it made me a two time world champion.
Did I feel like I earned the championship? absolutely not. I just felt that I got lucky and won on the correct day.
And just a sidenote, when they took my interview they never said anything like that. they changed my whole wording around to say I loved the idea!
I thought I had at least earned the right to tell them how I thought of their playoff points system!!!!!

Last edited by Keith 944; 11-15-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote