Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Bracket Racing

Old 06-05-2008, 01:22 PM   #11
Bob Verwold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 1/8 mile racing oppinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Goob Cook View Post
All my 1/4 mile slips had 1/8 mile times on 'em..... LOL

I know, who looks at that when you are focused on the 1/4....
I look at all of the increments and break them down......60ft ---330---1/8--MPH &ET----1000---And 1/4..................I don't store 1/8 mi in the weather station because those times are 7.10 +or - running on a 6.95 dial some thing needs to change. I can take time out of the throttle stop but I have no info and rather than spend 500. to 1000. to go to a div race for test and tune/practice you stay home. Am I getting through, I don't have one of those 150+mph S/ST cars. And as you said Dave, I do have a brick I'm pushing down the track............
Bob Verwold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:00 PM   #12
Jim Glenn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I run Super Pro at a 1/8 mile track in Portland, OR when I bracket race,also at Seattle and Woodburn, OR but they are 1/4 mile. I also run S/ST at all the division races and Natl opens. I really don't have a preference. Portland does it for curfew reasons so they can get the program in. Many of the tracks will switch to 1/8 mile if they have a rain delay that threatens the program. As for running S/ST S/G and S/C on 1/8 mile it isn't a big deal, I run around 7.20's when I am chasing 10.90 in the 1/4. they talked about the Natl Open in Portland being 1/8 mile so I took a stab at in the bracket race, took about 3 passes to hit it consistently. Give it a chance, don't avoid it just because it is 1/8 mile.

2 cents from the West Coast.

Jim
Old 06-26-2008, 01:46 AM   #13
Bruce Fulper

Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts

Changing the gear when you have a large stroke engine like yours won't gain ET. The engine doesn't know it's running 1/8th mile and you run the risk of making the launch unmagaeable. However you will accelerate engine wear. Small blocks are a differnet story altogether, which is where this myth came from.
Bruce Fulper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:25 AM   #14
Bob Verwold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Fulper View Post
Changing the gear when you have a large stroke engine like yours won't gain ET. The engine doesn't know it's running 1/8th mile and you run the risk of making the launch unmagaeable. However you will accelerate engine wear. Small blocks are a differnet story altogether, which is where this myth came from.
You must be talking to Jim. Even though it's stroked mine is still a small block 421 !!!!!!!!!!
Bob Verwold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:17 AM   #15
WDCreech

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Bruce, You remember Pontiacs, don't you? When I ran the 1/8, I had a gear thet put my shift point and finish line rpm the same. So there should be less engine wear because it saw those rpms for less time. Unimagionable launch? You bet! There's nothing like it. I carry the front wheels for about 400 feet, with the 4.29s now, so what'll it do with 5.43s?

By the way, Bruce, my rear bumper is the same one that I ordered from you, years ago.

Last edited by WDCreech; 06-28-2008 at 01:54 AM.
WDCreech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:34 AM   #16
gymracer01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For someone that started racing when there was nothing but 1/4 mile tracks, doing the 1/8 mile things just don't cut it. When I returned to racing in the mid 90s about everything around here had gone to 1/8 mile. I raced it and didn't realize much difference. Then in the late 90s I started racing with the NSCA and the NMCA and all this stuff is 1/4 mile. Now, I hate going back to the 1/8 mile. Sure it is easier on equipment but I love the speed and the longer time on the track-10 seconds/to 6 seconds. I well agree that there are some killer 1/8 mile racers out there. It's actually eaiser for me to go to a National event and win than go to a local 1/8 and compete aganist the regulars. Traveling the country and going to different tracks and conditions equalizes it amoung the traveling racers. My 2 cents.
Jim Netherland
2007 NMCA Nostalgia Super Stock World Champion
gymracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:45 PM   #17
Bruce Fulper

Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDCreech View Post
Bruce, You remember Pontiacs, don't you? When I ran the 1/8, I had a gear thet put my shift point and finish line rpm the same. So there should be less engine wear because it saw those rpms for less time. Unimagionable launch? You bet! There's nothing like it. I carry the front wheels for about 400 feet, with the 4.29s now, so what'll it do with 5.43s? By the way, Bruce, my rear bumper is the same one that I ordered from you, years ago.
Nice GTO Bill.

In all of the testing I've done with strokes of 4.21 or more, trying to short gear them for 1/8th mile wasn't worth the effort of changing gears. If your car hooks well with a short gear, well, that's good. Some guys don't have as good a chassis to work with. And the added stress isn't worth it either. Are you seeing a tenth in 1/8th mile change by short gearing?
Bruce Fulper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:46 PM   #18
WDCreech

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Nice GTO Bill.

In all of the testing I've done with strokes of 4.21 or more, trying to short gear them for 1/8th mile wasn't worth the effort of changing gears. If your car hooks well with a short gear, well, that's good. Some guys don't have as good a chassis to work with. And the added stress isn't worth it either. Are you seeing a tenth in 1/8th mile change by short gearing?
A little more than a tenth, but I have to wait until the track warms up in the early afternoon. It'll spin after I get off of the concrete if I try to make a pass too early, like I did the day before Memorial day. It had rained and they dried the track, but I went out a little too soon. Since the first 300' is heated, I had my best 60' (1.1992), but when I got off of the pad, it was like driving a flat bottom boat.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:04 AM   #19
phillip wigington

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking Re: 1/8 mile racing oppinion

goob ! hey i know all about racing a brick! lol.. try a refrigerator box!!!! lol good to see ya again!

Last edited by phillip wigington; 08-14-2008 at 11:06 AM. Reason: cant spell?
phillip wigington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:26 PM   #20
Steve Williams

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cool Re: 1/8 mile racing oppinion

just what do you think you know about that 1/8th mile racing there Senor Felipe?
Steve Williams is offline   Reply With Quote