HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-04-2019, 09:43 PM   #21
00SSCamaroZ

Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: Engine diapers on S/SS?

Well I don't think I've ever seen a stocker oil the track. However at the Dutch on Friday afternoon a blue 69 camaro did a moonshot wheelstand and upon landing pitched out what appeared to be the trans blanket. That was something new in my world.

Mike Z
00SSCamaroZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 10:33 PM   #22
Dinsdale

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

We had a Jr. Dragster oil the track this year. Last weekend it was a Stick car that split the trans case. Numerous rear end explosions, auto trans blowups, oil line leaks and rad hose failures. I'd think engine failures are becoming a lot less with improved and accepted parts.

I'm all for safety but how many Diapers should be on a race car anyway. If you want to run one then fine, but I don't, probably can't fit one and don't think making them mandatory is a good move.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2349373.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	52440  
Old 10-05-2019, 07:15 PM   #23
Doug Walker
Photographer

Liked 2,493 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00SSCamaroZ View Post
Well I don't think I've ever seen a stocker oil the track. However at the Dutch on Friday afternoon a blue 69 camaro did a moonshot wheelstand and upon landing pitched out what appeared to be the trans blanket. That was something new in my world.

Mike Z
Are you referring to this ?? Blue Camaro was in the left lane. Debris was in the right lane, but may have originated from either car.
Does not look like 1969 Camaro to me, but maybe more than one car pitched its safety gear off mid track.
First time I'd ever seen this happen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	954A7468.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	277.9 KB
ID:	52460   Click image for larger version

Name:	954A7469.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	52461  
Doug Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:02 AM   #24
Mike Jones
VIP Member

Liked 660 Times in 283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Grubbs View Post
Depends?
He said Depends
Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:17 AM   #25
00SSCamaroZ

Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Walker View Post
Are you referring to this ?? Blue Camaro was in the left lane. Debris was in the right lane, but may have originated from either car.
Does not look like 1969 Camaro to me, but maybe more than one car pitched its safety gear off mid track.
First time I'd ever seen this happen.
That looks like it. Thought it was a 69. Obviously not. Guess I am not a good eye witness.

Mike Z
00SSCamaroZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:38 AM   #26
rboyle

Liked 554 Times in 156 Posts

We had a D1 race where 3 Stockers oiled the track during the first Qualifying shot. I myself have oiled it twice. First when I bought the car I was the first car down the track at No Problem and spit a rod out at bat mid track broke the trans driveshaft and pinion yoke too. Shut the track down for almost 2 hours. So yes it does happen.
rboyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:07 AM   #27
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,422 Times in 1,951 Posts

After looking at the B-E body engine, steering, and headers on my stocker, it would be a lot of work and expense. The drag link runs real close to the sump and the bottom of pan, this could be a potential crash if the Kevlar blanket jams the steering. A motor plate would not help the steering situation. A tray might work until a big wheel stand. When that happens on my car it bends the oil pan against the pickup, and bends the transmission pan. The oil pan I have to fix before I make the next run. If new ss headers are needed to complete the ORD I will be done.
All of a sudden cutting bait doesn't look so bad.

Last edited by Larry Hill; 10-07-2019 at 07:11 AM.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:37 AM   #28
Pat6868

Liked 66 Times in 21 Posts

Stock eliminator- entry level. Mandatory belts every 2 years, mandatory approved collector tethers, now mandatory diapers? Sad to see the so-called evolution of this class.
Pat6868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:14 AM   #29
Dyno

Liked 604 Times in 177 Posts

On a Hemi car with the drag link going through the oil pan (some Chevy ll’s also), I do not know how you could fit a diaper effectively. If NHRA allowed an aftermarket K frame, it might be possible.
Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:35 AM   #30
Steve Stasko

Liked 228 Times in 120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hill View Post
After looking at the B-E body engine, steering, and headers on my stocker, it would be a lot of work and expense. The drag link runs real close to the sump and the bottom of pan, this could be a potential crash if the Kevlar blanket jams the steering. A motor plate would not help the steering situation. A tray might work until a big wheel stand. When that happens on my car it bends the oil pan against the pickup, and bends the transmission pan. The oil pan I have to fix before I make the next run. If new ss headers are needed to complete the ORD I will be done.
All of a sudden cutting bait doesn't look so bad.
I must have done something wrong on my '64 Dodge when I put the engine diaper on it. I have the factory K-frame, steering, and torsion bars. Using 1 3/4" Hooker S/C headers (one tube through fenderwell). I fit a universal Jeg's diaper on the car without issue, though I did have to get creative with some of the mounting points for the support straps to hold it up.

I wasn't real fond of putting it on, but when the rules require it (I ran the car in S/ST a few times...ex-SS car), you find a way to make it work if you want to race.

While the Jeg's diaper doesn't provide the best fit, I can only imagine how much better the job would have been had I used something that was designed for the car.
Steve Stasko is offline   Reply With Quote