Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-24-2009, 07:16 PM   #21
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts
Unhappy Re: WHAT IF part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
Ed, I think it is important that the race be held at as central a location as possible. Sure, it'd be real convenient for me, or racers around me, to say Bowling Green, Bristol, or Memphis, but that makes a really long tow for guys from the south of Division 2 and 4, and the guys from Division 1. We've been hoping to go to No Problem, and that would be a great place to have it. But what about the Division 1 and Division 3 guys? And we aren't even getting to divisions further west. Sure, you can't be all things to all people, that's a big failing this sort of thing falls into. But you have to put the best effort out to get a location that is central enough to draw a good field that is also a good cross section of the racers. I'm not saying no to or voting against Atco or No Problem, not by any stretch.
Alan;
That's the point I'm making.Somebody is going to get on here and have a hissy fit that the race isn't in their neighborhood and so on and so on.Based on the state of the economy travel is out of the question for many of us.The best solution would be races at ,for example,Maple Grove,NP,Milan,Phoenix and Calif.
Regional for sure,but good coverage.The logistics of organizing it would be emense though.
It's too bad the numb nuts at NHRA dont just give us 2 Sports Nat's in each division and run the clown classes at national events.I could surely live with that.
Sports Nat's at Atco and Maple Grove (we already have the Dutch) would be fantasti aqh but what do I know,I'm just a lowly NHRA dues paying member for 33 years and still counting.

Ed

Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:25 PM   #22
Adam Strang

Liked 85 Times in 19 Posts
Default Re: WHAT IF part 2

My suggestion would be Edgewater,Bowling Green or O`Reilly Raceway Park.You have to have it centrally located to have the best draw. I`m in for something like that.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:27 PM   #23
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,063 Times in 281 Posts

Ed, you are right, some regional events would be excellent, especially considering the economy. However, they probably need a big event to get the whole thing off the ground. And that needs to be as centrally located as is humanly possible.

I agree completely, there will be those who demand it be held in their back yard. Those are exactly the people who need to be ignored, because they will only do what serves their own desires and interests, and ignore the big picture. They'll show for a race or two, if it suits them. If you try to make them happy, you'll put off a lot more racers who would travel a reasonable distance to support something like this.

We don't even have one SportsNational Open here in Division 2. Shoot, we don't even have a points meet that isn't in Georgia or Florida, Atlanta is the only event that isn't in south Georgia or further south. Tennessee, Alabama, and the Carolinas get the finger. Charlotte has their National Event, and so does Bristol. That's it. Memphis, for whatever reason, is Division 4. So I completely agree with you and understand about the scheduling and travel. We practically have to take the entire month of February and part of March off to run Division 2.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:30 PM   #24
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Strang View Post
My suggestion would be Edgewater,Bowling Green or O`Reilly Raceway Park.You have to have it centrally located to have the best draw. I`m in for something like that.
O'Reilly would be a major deal, if it could be pulled off. But somehow I doubt NHRA will let that happen.

Bowling Green would be really cool for us, we can be there in about 90 minutes or so.

But again, I'm looking at the bigger picture, the greater good. What's great for us, like Bowling Green, might not be the best we can do for everyone.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:38 PM   #25
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Quote:
Adam:
Any facility would be a trek for you.I feel your pain.Hope all is ok in the frozen tundra.

Ed
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Old 01-24-2009, 07:47 PM   #26
Adam Strang

After I posted I realized O`Reilly was owned by NHRA so that probably wouldn`t be a good choice.

Alan,I`m happy for you that you are 90 minutes from BG but it`s more centrally located than Atco.If you don`t like my suggestions I`ll go with Atco.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:53 PM   #27
Adam Strang

Ed,1000 miles is my limit these days!...lol

It`s already -5*,come on up and you can help me stack some wood....
Old 01-24-2009, 07:55 PM   #28
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Quote:
After I posted I realized O`Reilly was owned by NHRA so that probably wouldn`t be a good choice.

Alan,I`m happy for you that you are 90 minutes from BG but it`s more centrally located than Atco.If you don`t like my suggestions I`ll go with Atco.
LOL Adam. It doesn't really matter what I like, as I said, it needs to be located well for the largest number of racers who want to attend.

One thing is for sure, it says a great deal about you that you are willing to make a longer tow so that the race could be located more central to the largest number of racers. That's great, you see the big picture, you want what is best for everyone, not just yourself. It's guys with an attitude like yours that help good things happen. Everyone should share your selfless attitude, we'd all be a lot better off. My hat is off to you.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:12 PM   #29
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Quote:
Ed,1000 miles is my limit these days!...lol

It`s already -5*,come on up and you can help me stack some wood....
What is wood?
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Old 01-24-2009, 08:19 PM   #30
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

LOL, Ed is too old for wood!!!