HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-04-2021, 01:05 PM   #1
Barry Polley

Liked 565 Times in 235 Posts
Default Fontana Closed.

Most of you know. Fontana drag racing is gone but they still have Nascar.
We need to write more letters and emails to NHRA in support of a double race in Bakersfield. We don’t have a Sonoma race yet either. Only four divisional’s here so far.
Old 12-04-2021, 05:04 PM   #2
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,100 Times in 774 Posts
Default Re: Fontana Closed.

I would like to see D7 Director Mike Rice make a statement about the schedule.
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 05:43 PM   #3
Don Kennedy
VIP Member

Liked 803 Times in 213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Polley View Post
Most of you know. Fontana drag racing is gone but they still have Nascar.
We need to write more letters and emails to NHRA in support of a double race in Bakersfield. We don’t have a Sonoma race yet either. Only four divisional’s here so far.
Sell all your stuff move here to TN we live less than 5 hours from 11 dragstrips
Old 12-04-2021, 07:42 PM   #4
Barry Polley

Hi Don.
I have lots of family there and friends too. It’s just not happening right now. It’s getting very difficult and expensive to race here. Hoping we get Sonoma (double ?) and possible Bakersfield. Otherwise it’s out of state and the I 5 trailer and car killer. Would be really nice to see some input here from NHRA.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:41 PM   #5
DG

Liked 324 Times in 80 Posts

Sacramento should also be a consideration for a division race, preferably in April or early May before it gets to hot.
DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 10:59 PM   #6
Floyd Staggs
VIP Member

Liked 220 Times in 95 Posts

Bakersfield ain't going to happen.They don't need the NHRA to have a profitable schedule. They are doing fine with the March Meet, the Reunion and the ANRA series with some bracket races thrown in.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:45 AM   #7
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,505 Times in 1,970 Posts

Is NHRA pricing themselves out of business?
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:18 AM   #8
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,714 Times in 855 Posts

Same story as Sonoma ceasing their bracket program last year. They simply can make more money with the dramatically larger gate receipts associated with car shows, go karts, autocross, road racing (both car and bike), etc. NHRA simply requires too much to conduct a Division race or tracks would be more receptive to hosting them. Both times I’ve been to Fontana there were at least two other events being conducted simultaneously. Not sure how many acres of pavement they have but it’s pretty remarkable and I can assure you it’s far easier to lay out an autocross track and have the amateur association run the event than it is to host a NHRA event. Think our entry fees are high? Autocross and road racing schools/events are even higher. We are competing against other venues, and wouldn’t be surprised that we make the tracks far less than any of them. NHRA prices their events as if they are a monopoly when in fact they are competing with all types of racing enthusiasts. Can’t blame the tracks for keeping their gates open to property that is worth more every year to other investors
jmcarter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 10:34 AM   #9

Liked 927 Times in 240 Posts

Does anyone actually know the fees that NHRA charges a sanctioned track?

A friend of mine who was the track manager at Englishtown told me once that the bracket race program they ran made them no money. Bracket racers bring barely any people with them, they bring their own food, their own drinks, they don't buy souvenirs and most of their entry fee goes to a payout that they aren't happy with. Then they would pay a points fund, the bracket finals entry, and for years jackets for the qualifying racers. He told me they would bring 10k to the bank on a good day, where on a Honda day they would bring 100k. And that's before they paid salaries, and all the others bills.I'm sure thats why Cecil County dropped their Bracket racing points series.

Bill Bader explained on Bobby Fazios podcast that division races are a money maker for them,and that NHRA does not charge a huge fee to have a div race. Go back to the Classracing today podcast and listen to the episiode, it gives the only insight I've heard on the subject that isn't hearsay.

One of the reasons Raceway Park closed is because IAA offered them stupid money, like 5 million a year to park cars in the pits and still allowed them to own the facilility and make money with the airport, drift track, motocross track, and all other events. If they hadn't gotten that offer, it's my opinion we'd still be racing there and bitching that the faciltily sucks and needs improvements. Did I mention that Raceway Park pays something like 40,000.00 a month in taxes?

If IAA would have gotten their way and won their case with the land use, Atco Raceway would be closed too. Just remember, they offered to buy Atco for something like 10 million dollars, more than double its value to park junk insurance cars on it. Do you know where that money comes from? our car insurance payments. Look up what the owners of IAA and Copart make, taking wrecked cars and auctioning them off, making billions while we get charged not only to insure our vehicle, but surcharged if we have an accident to cover the "Loss." I'm sure there are many small racetracks across the country would take that deal in a heartbeart if offered to them. Luckily for us, the IAA deal fell thru, and according to some track workers at Atco they are proceeding to do improvements to the track that were put off pending the outcome. and we now have 3 divison races there next year. Apparenty they think its cost effective to have them too.

We also escaped another Track loss with the shareholders voting not to sell NED to some other mega company with more money than God. NHRA cannot compete against Walmart, Amazon, IAA, Copart or any other big company that makes up to a 200% profit on goods. I hate to say I shop at Walmart, Amazon etc,but I can say I recently bought this Laptop I'm typing on at PC Richard, and that's because I support Gary Richard, a huge sponsor in the Div1 racing community, and an all-around nice guy.

So in my opinion, there isn't just one reason why we are losing racetracks, there are reasons beyond our control, or our pockets. we can only do our part and support these tracks to the best of our ability. I do know that Billy Nees does his part by buying Ice Cream at most tracks, especially Columbus, he can be found there almost every day when he attends Jegs Sportsnationals.

1342 SS/GT

Last edited by 1347; 12-05-2021 at 11:19 AM.
1347 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 11:35 AM   #10
Barry Polley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcarter View Post
Same story as Sonoma ceasing their bracket program last year. They simply can make more money with the dramatically larger gate receipts associated with car shows, go karts, autocross, road racing (both car and bike), etc. NHRA simply requires too much to conduct a Division race or tracks would be more receptive to hosting them. Both times I’ve been to Fontana there were at least two other events being conducted simultaneously. Not sure how many acres of pavement they have but it’s pretty remarkable and I can assure you it’s far easier to lay out an autocross track and have the amateur association run the event than it is to host a NHRA event. Think our entry fees are high? Autocross and road racing schools/events are even higher. We are competing against other venues, and wouldn’t be surprised that we make the tracks far less than any of them. NHRA prices their events as if they are a monopoly when in fact they are competing with all types of racing enthusiasts. Can’t blame the tracks for keeping their gates open to property that is worth more every year to other investors
^^
We got outbid at Sonoma last year period.