HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 11-28-2020, 08:47 AM   #11
Cdncarnut

Liked 43 Times in 26 Posts
Default Re: Laptop for race trailer

As part of my IT career, I briefly repaired Dell products in people's homes, as the company, who bought our national customer service division had the service contract for Dell.
I found the product substandard and could not believe the poor tech support these people were getting from Dell.
Often, when I showed up on site with the part, which we were contracted to replace, I knew that the part was not going to resolve the issue. But, I had to replace the part anyway as that is what we were being paid for.

It was no big deal if it was a graphic or sound card, but it was a huge deal if it was a laptop motherboard.

I also came across two instances where the PC configuration was not tested before being sold. One of those created a huge issue for the customer as he was under contract with Disney to do animation. It was a simple solution and no one at Dell was capable of even finding the cause.

Now, this was 20 years ago and a lot has changed, but it has always left a sour taste in my mouth.
This experience was also what made me quit that job and move my career in a different direction.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:46 PM   #12
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,452 Times in 540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdncarnut View Post
Now, this was 20 years ago and a lot has changed, but it has always left a sour taste in my mouth.
This experience was also what made me quit that job and move my career in a different direction.
When you have a mass produced product, especially in the early days, you would have experienced problems.

I do not work for Dell, nevertheless, they have one of the best products out there. As a matter of fact, my former aerospace employer only uses Dell. Every single aerospace company and airlines I have dealt with, including Honeywell, Raytheon, Collins Aerospace and others, use Dell. The only other product you may see at these companies are Apple products used for sales and marketing activities.

In the field, we used the Dell line of rugged laptops that are sealed to water and dust and also protected to EMI and meet or exceed the MIL-SPEC standards. Most of the laptops used by law enforcement are the rugged versions of either Dell or Panasonic.

Panasonic is another computer manufacturer that makes a great product, mostly for business and government oriented applications. However, their prices makes them one of the most expensive in the market.

When I managed some years ago a Trophy Truck engine development program, due to the harsh environment of desert races, the teams were having lots of trouble with the HP laptops that carried the ECU and other related racing programs. Due to static, dirt sediment would accumulate on the screen and get inside the laptop and also they needed to be covered during rain and sunlight would not allow you see the screen. I procured a few of the Dell rugged laptops and all the issues the teams experiences at the races went away.

I have seen great deals on used Dell Rugged laptops on both the Dell website and Ebay.

https://www.delltechnologies.com/en-us/rugged/index.htm
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:44 PM   #13
Cdncarnut

Liked 43 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
When you have a mass produced product, especially in the early days, you would have experienced problems.

I do not work for Dell, nevertheless, they have one of the best products out there. As a matter of fact, my former aerospace employer only uses Dell. Every single aerospace company and airlines I have dealt with, including Honeywell, Raytheon, Collins Aerospace and others, use Dell. The only other product you may see at these companies are Apple products used for sales and marketing activities.

In the field, we used the Dell line of rugged laptops that are sealed to water and dust and also protected to EMI and meet or exceed the MIL-SPEC standards. Most of the laptops used by law enforcement are the rugged versions of either Dell or Panasonic.

Panasonic is another computer manufacturer that makes a great product, mostly for business and government oriented applications. However, their prices makes them one of the most expensive in the market.

When I managed some years ago a Trophy Truck engine development program, due to the harsh environment of desert races, the teams were having lots of trouble with the HP laptops that carried the ECU and other related racing programs. Due to static, dirt sediment would accumulate on the screen and get inside the laptop and also they needed to be covered during rain and sunlight would not allow you see the screen. I procured a few of the Dell rugged laptops and all the issues the teams experiences at the races went away.

I have seen great deals on used Dell Rugged laptops on both the Dell website and Ebay.

https://www.delltechnologies.com/en-us/rugged/index.htm
In all tools, there is a huge difference in quality between consumer, business and commercial equipment.

My Dell experience was with consumer and commercial Dells.

I have had two older Dells at work, as we recycle our equipment, and the last two did not survive the fall from a ladder, while I was working on a valve actuator.

As this discussion was for a trailer laptop, the chances are good that it will be a consumer product.

I always enjoy learning from other peoples' experiences. It has helped me make more informed choices.
Liked
Old 11-28-2020, 11:08 PM   #14
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,452 Times in 540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdncarnut View Post
In all tools, there is a huge difference in quality between consumer, business and commercial equipment.

My Dell experience was with consumer and commercial Dells.

I have had two older Dells at work, as we recycle our equipment, and the last two did not survive the fall from a ladder, while I was working on a valve actuator.

As this discussion was for a trailer laptop, the chances are good that it will be a consumer product.

I always enjoy learning from other peoples' experiences. It has helped me make more informed choices.
Agree, I have seen not only Dell laptops self-destruct from falls but also many other brands including a laptop dropped by a TSA employee at the airport.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked