Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-11-2014, 10:48 PM   #121
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts
Default Re: Ford vs Chevy Build-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike britt View Post
Hey Rich, if you look at how flimsy that core support is, that's probably why Ford put that brace there.
I have a new radiator support sitting in the dining room floor Mike...it isnt that flimsy. That also doesnt address the reason for the extra braces out back. The more I think on it the more I believe those braces were for the crossmember...it's the only explanation that makes any sense. The tubes are too light/thin to deal with any flex...their only strength would be in tension and compression.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:25 AM   #122
Alan Nyhus
VIP Member

Liked 767 Times in 228 Posts

Rich...take 'em off. But throw 'em in the trailer, just in case. -Al
Old 11-12-2014, 12:04 PM   #123
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

I found a descent article on Fox body suspensions and those bars don't seem to be considered part of the suspension. They aren't mentioned here at all.

79-2004 Mustang Suspension Info

Dale
FireSale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:38 PM   #124
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,456 Times in 1,696 Posts

Guys, If those braces are conv. only, then they are there to lessen nose or cowl shake or door closing up or rattling, going over rough ground or railroad tracks or something like that.
Won't hurt to leave them off on a drag car.
Agree with Alan..Clean it up, put it and the bolts under the seat in the truck.
Probably be there for a long time.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:21 PM   #125
Dave Noll

Liked 219 Times in 105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark yacavone View Post
if those braces are conv. Only, then they are there to lessen nose or cowl shake or door closing up or rattling, going over rough ground or railroad tracks or something like that.
Won't hurt to leave them off on a drag car.
this
Old 11-12-2014, 03:05 PM   #126
slowpony

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOverFist View Post
Appreciate any input James - I'll contact Bullet Cams when the time comes. I'm sure Thomas Arnett can help on the C4...I know squat about Ford transmissions. Right now I'm trying to garner info on control arms and springs...also wondering about 26" vs 28" rear tires.

Still awaiting repairs on the lift I just eyeballed the car a bit more this afternoon. I focused on the steering wheel with the blown airbag and began to mess with it a bit. The previous owner had taped the face up with some duct tape...effective, but it left a mess of glue residue when I peeled it off. A little WD-40 and a rag and it began to clean up and come back to presentable. I believe I can salvage the wheel after all...might even use the built in horn button for a linelock switch before it's over.

I need to formulate a plan for the console as far as switches and aftermarket shifter go.

Even with the back seat deleted the roll bar appears it will be a tight fit. Still leaning towards the Maximum Motorsports 6/8 point kit for convertibles until I hear better otherwise.

Steering wheel for 89 is different, no air bags.
slowpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:14 PM   #127
slowpony

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
A pic of the front brace attached...

I know some use these parts, but I never envisioned it would be illegal to delete or modify said part. What exactly constitutes "factory suspension"? I can substitute aftermarket rotors/calipers but can't touch this junky bracket? It looks like a bandaide fix from Ford to me. When I installed the subframe connectors I had to cut the factory braces at the rear that the back braces bolt to...does this make the car null and void now? It sure isnt going to be as Ford produced it.
These braces were put on convertibles to lessen cowl shake and to distribute load from k member back to body structure. I have a 94 GT convertible with them. My 86 GT T-top car and early convertibles don't have them. I am not sure when they started putting them on, but strut tower braces served the same purpose. Car is most certainly stiffer with frame connectors and a roll bar.
slowpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:26 PM   #128
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpony View Post
Steering wheel for 89 is different, no air bags.
That's good because this one no longer has an air bag either.

Got those 4-cylinder springs today...I'll tackle those this weekend.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:57 PM   #129
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 940 Times in 259 Posts

Quote:
That's good because this one no longer has an air bag either.

Got those 4-cylinder springs today...I'll tackle those this weekend.
If you have never replaced the front coil springs on a Ford Fox body, be prepared to scratch your head a few times.Unless you cut the old coils with a torch, and are installing lowering springs (shorter free length), it can be a bitc%! If you really want to have some "fun", try installing a pair of un cut Moroso drag springs! It seems that nobody has the correct special spring compressor, so I found it easier (make that somewhat less difficult), to unbolt the 2 large inner control arm bolts, and use a floor jack under the control arm. as long as the engine is still in the car, this method works fairly well. Of course trying to re install those lower control arm bolts afterwards will be a pain.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:01 PM   #130
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory McNeil View Post
If you have never replaced the front coil springs on a Ford Fox body, be prepared to scratch your head a few times.Unless you cut the old coils with a torch, and are installing lowering springs (shorter free length), it can be a bitc%! If you really want to have some "fun", try installing a pair of un cut Moroso drag springs! It seems that nobody has the correct special spring compressor, so I found it easier (make that somewhat less difficult), to unbolt the 2 large inner control arm bolts, and use a floor jack under the control arm. as long as the engine is still in the car, this method works fairly well. Of course trying to re install those lower control arm bolts afterwards will be a pain.
For what it's worth, I had the same problem with my 68. No commercially available spring compressor fit the aftermarket front coils I used. Had to disassemble the compressor and put it back together inside the spring to make it work.

Dale
FireSale is offline   Reply With Quote