HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Factory Stock and Super Stock

Old 01-29-2016, 08:27 AM   #1
SS Racer 4901

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Gear ratio & clutch recommendation

Previously posted about a build for a local stick shift series and got the info I needed on tires. Thank you.

Now for gear ratios and clutch. Going to run a liberty clutchless trans, Looking for recommendations on gear ratio.

9" tire, 3200#, mid 10s. Stock eliminator type chassis with little to no adjustment on chassis. Running on reasonably well-prepped to bad tracks, dial in racing.
SS Racer 4901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:00 PM   #2
Brad Zaskowski

Liked 80 Times in 18 Posts
Default Re: Gear ratio & clutch recommendation

I am a firm believer in the McLeod Soft-Lok clutches, we run them in our stock (jerico) and two super stocker cars (Liberty clutchless). They are very easy to work with, deadly consistent and once you get it broke in and adjusted to where you want it you hardly ever have to make adjustments. I probably made 5-8 clutch adjustments on my super stock car all year last year (113 runs). We put 200-250 passes on them before they need to be freshened up.
As far as gear ratios we run 3.08/1.93/1.34 in our stocker with 5.38 rear gear and the M/T 3056st rear tire. SS car is same ratios with 6.00 rear gear and a taller tire.
Good luck with the build, you will have a blast running it!
Old 01-30-2016, 02:52 AM   #3
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 937 Times in 258 Posts

Obviously, gear ratio will be dependent on the kind of RPM you will be spinning. My 85 Mustang is a legal Stocker, but for the past couple of years, I have had a 331 SB Ford bracket engine. Its a flat tappet cam/pump gas engine. My Jerico has a 3.19 1rst gear, and 4.88 rear gears, and 9x29 Hoosier D07 slicks. At 3050 lbs, it runs 10.4s @128MPH, shifting at 6800 RPM, hitting 7200 thru the traps. If your engine will rev a lot higher, naturally you can use more rear gear, and depending on the engine, may want less 1rst gear than what I use.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:02 AM   #4
SS Racer 4901

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks guys. Big help there. Brad looks like you run a 4 speed in stocker based on the ratios you listed. Would you run more ratio if you ran a 5 speed?
SS Racer 4901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 06:55 PM   #5
D.Johns

Liked 17 Times in 6 Posts

I certainly won't argue with Brad on anything clutch related lol.

Depends on your budget…
Ernie/Dave have had great experiences with the advanced clutches with a multi disk set-up.
I'm running a Boninfante in mine.

If your engine has a narrow power band then a 5speed can help keep it in the window with a smaller spread on the gear ratios.
2014 Cobra Jet FS/XX #3345 STK/SS

Like us on http://www.facebook.com/pages/Daniel...25886327426822
D.Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:53 PM   #6
Brad Zaskowski

Liked 80 Times in 18 Posts

The transmission we run in the stocker I did some horse trading of our automatic stuff we used to run to get and haven't messed with any ratio stuff yet. It does need more low gear ratio and a 5 speed should be faster and be able to run more low gear yet. When we switched the car over last winter I just wanted to get the car up and running with some equipment I understand, know how to work on and can drive!
Old 02-01-2016, 11:25 PM   #7
Kevin Panzino

Liked 550 Times in 106 Posts

I have nothing constructive to add, other than if Brad Z ' is giving you advice on the clutch and trans setup of a stickshift class car, you need to listen.. Very, very intently.

Funny this should thread should come up, and Mr. Z should be so kind as to reply and give so much info.... A legendary SS racer and I were just talking late last year incidentally, on how absolutely exquisitely the "Z" family's stick cars leave. Its literally poetry in motion... If you didn't hear all the RPM on the starting line, and the gear changes, you'd swear the car had an auto and a dead on dialed in converter. No tire shock/shake, no engine RPM bog.. Dead smooth, RPMs held constant, and wicked fast wheels up launch. I smile ear to ear every time I watch any of the "Pollock's" cars leave!

Kevin
Kevin Panzino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:25 PM   #8
tj310

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Aluminum flywheel and clutch with a replaceable riveted or bolted steel friction surfaces are lighter and require a little less horsepower to accelerate.
Steel flywheels and pressure plates are cheaper to purchase and service and last longer. I prefer steel and presently use Ram.
I run a 305 powered J/S Trans Am 5 speed 2.75 first 6.0 rear gear mostly 1/8 th mile---Trevor
tj310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:50 PM   #9
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj310 View Post
Aluminum flywheel and clutch with a replaceable riveted or bolted steel friction surfaces are lighter and require a little less horsepower to accelerate.
Steel flywheels and pressure plates are cheaper to purchase and service and last longer. I prefer steel and presently use Ram.
I run a 305 powered J/S Trans Am 5 speed 2.75 first 6.0 rear gear mostly 1/8 th mile---Trevor
Wow you could pick up a bunch on a clutch upgrade. If you don't roast the clutch in error, they last a long time. Even aluminum ones.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:02 PM   #10
tj310

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We've run , and worn out aluminum stuff. I don't think it is worth the extra money , unless you'r looking for that last bit to qualify at that 1 race of the year, and you bump the launch to 8 grand.
---Trevor
tj310 is offline   Reply With Quote