HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Remembering Those We Lost
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-21-2023, 08:43 AM   #11
Nick Heath

Liked 497 Times in 114 Posts
Default Re: Remembering Virgil ‘Bill’ W. Rink …..

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRatcliff View Post
Hard to believe it has been almost a year. Time flies and I really miss him. I was trying it think of a PG rated story to tell and this is about all I have.

Bill didn’t like to put stickers on his car which was a beautiful Porsche Guards Red. I called him one day and it was rare call that I was able to talk (he was fun to listen to). I told him I am sending two Alpine contingency stickers for his car. He asked me why and I said the don’t normally pay, but he was famous in the audio world for shooting out loud speakers at the track with his shotgun.

His reply was one of the funniest possible in my opinion. He tried to justify it by saying “I only did it twice.” 😳 I told him I knew about Brainerd, but where was the other time. He said at Indy. 😳😳😳

Turns out the offending party was one of the pro-stock bike racers that was playing their music way too loud and Bill was trying to sleep. He went out and warned them the first time that they had to turn it down or they won’t like what happens the next time. He went back into his camper and they had the nerve to turn up the volume

Sure enough, Bill silenced the speakers and the party was over when he came back out.
We heard this same story (along with dozens of others, enough to last a lifetime), one night after the sun went down at Indy, the year it happened, hanging around 'Dyno' Dan Zrust's pit area.
To this day, I think my ribs still hurt from the sheer amount of laughter that evening!

Bill was a one-of-a-kind character, no doubt about that...
Nick Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 11:18 AM   #12
Race Clean

Liked 129 Times in 51 Posts

Only did meet him briefly once,had to stop by and check the car out,he was there and even though we never met before he found something that related to both us within 30 seconds!
One of a kind for sure
Old 04-21-2023, 02:28 PM   #13
Chuck Norton

Liked 69 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR DERBY CITY View Post
Nope, I have one more story but I will save it for another day.
We all have at least one or two more! The world is a lesser place in Bill's absence.

c
Old 04-21-2023, 05:50 PM   #14
Todd Leitner

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts

My SD stocker friends and I first met Bill at Scribner NE points meet one evening while checking out the ladder sheet, we stood there for a couple hours and laughed and chatted (actually more listening than chatting). Miss that guy, RIP Mr. Rink!
Todd Leitner is offline   Reply With Quote