HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Remembering Those We Lost
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-20-2023, 01:15 PM   #1
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,609 Times in 1,288 Posts
Default Remembering Virgil ‘Bill’ W. Rink …..

It’s been almost one year since Bill passed away. Bill was very well respected in the trucking industry but he had a true passion for towing that beautiful Pontiac GTO around the country and showing everyone how fast it would go. In my OPINION, Bill was the most colorful character to ever pull into the STOCK/SUPERSTOCK staging lanes. I knew him well. I always looked forward to the annual Orlando points meet /Gatornationals 2 week trip every year. One summer he spent three days with me at my shop while WE ?? installed carpet in the GTO. He was a SO proud Vietnam vet. I have a photo of him and his buddy at the Tet Offense in Vietnam in 1968. He would talk on the phone for hours , he could solve so many of this countries problems, ….if only the country would listen ….. Bill was a part time Studebaker enthusiast and a member of the Studebaker Drivers Club. I located a Studebaker chat forum similar to Class Racer and found a member that had a 3 hour dinner with Bill one evening. He wrote this about Bill and pretty much hit the nail on the head. PLEASE keep in mind these are not my words …………….”Bill was a great guy, seemingly crazier than a loon and funny as all get out…..but sharp as a tack . If you ever met and chatted with Bill Rink, you would never have forgotten him, and would remember the encounter fondly.” …....RIP ole buddy, you were a true TREASURE .
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 02:46 PM   #2
EMMONS BROS.

Liked 148 Times in 17 Posts
Default Re: Remembering Virgil ‘Bill’ W. Rink …..

Great post MJ. Bill was always so much fun to talk to. We definitely miss his presence at the races. - The Emmons Bros.
EMMONS BROS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 02:52 PM   #3
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

I like to think that Bill and Big Harvey (Pops) are having a good chuckle right about now ….
Liked
Old 04-20-2023, 03:37 PM   #4
Julie Jordan

Liked 322 Times in 64 Posts

That poster nailed the description of Bill! I always enjoyed my phone calls with Bill, but knew to sit back, it was going to be a while! What a great guy.
Old 04-20-2023, 04:08 PM   #5
EMMONS BROS.

Liked 148 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR DERBY CITY View Post
I like to think that Bill and Big Harvey (Pops) are having a good chuckle right about now ….
You can BET on that! lol!
EMMONS BROS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-20-2023, 06:38 PM   #6
rk3800

Liked 77 Times in 27 Posts

I heard more Vietnam stories from Bill but each adventure was a little better than the last one he had told. He was a great story teller and Vietnam Vet.
Such a nice guy and a good fellow drag racer, always FAST. Rest In Peace, old friend.
rk3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 07:28 PM   #7
KRatcliff

Liked 502 Times in 135 Posts

Hard to believe it has been almost a year. Time flies and I really miss him. I was trying it think of a PG rated story to tell and this is about all I have.

Bill didn’t like to put stickers on his car which was a beautiful Porsche Guards Red. I called him one day and it was rare call that I was able to talk (he was fun to listen to). I told him I am sending two Alpine contingency stickers for his car. He asked me why and I said the don’t normally pay, but he was famous in the audio world for shooting out loud speakers at the track with his shotgun.

His reply was one of the funniest possible in my opinion. He tried to justify it by saying “I only did it twice.” 😳 I told him I knew about Brainerd, but where was the other time. He said at Indy. 😳😳😳

Turns out the offending party was one of the pro-stock bike racers that was playing their music way too loud and Bill was trying to sleep. He went out and warned them the first time that they had to turn it down or they won’t like what happens the next time. He went back into his camper and they had the nerve to turn up the volume

Sure enough, Bill silenced the speakers and the party was over when he came back out.
KRatcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 08:09 PM   #8
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Here is another PG story for you Kyle. Bill went to a points meet at an unnamed division. When Bill arrived at the division trailer he was greeted by a young lady. Let’s just say that they didn’t hit it off too well. One thing led to another and when Bill left the young lady was quite upset, you know that RINK charm. The next day the young lady received flowers , and Bill apologized to her. They remained friends until his death…
Old 04-20-2023, 08:40 PM   #9
KRatcliff

Liked 502 Times in 135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR DERBY CITY View Post
Here is another PG story for you Kyle. Bill went to a points meet at an unnamed division. When Bill arrived at the division trailer he was greeted by a young lady. Let’s just say that they didn’t hit it off too well. One thing led to another and when Bill left the young lady was quite upset, you know that RINK charm. The next day the young lady received flowers , and Bill apologized to her. They remained friends until his death…
I had heard that one also and I think we have exhausted the PG stories of Bill. They only get, let’s say, a touch more colorful and jaw dropping from there.

He proudly earned each one of them and I am proud he was a dear friend.
KRatcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 10:11 PM   #10
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRatcliff View Post
I had heard that one also and I think we have exhausted the PG stories of Bill. They only get, let’s say, a touch more colorful and jaw dropping from there.

He proudly earned each one of them and I am proud he was a dear friend.
Nope, I have one more story but I will save it for another day.