Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds

Old 03-06-2023, 05:18 PM   #11
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 219 Times in 79 Posts
Default Re: question about starting a stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlockBill View Post
The other positive about doing it through the local HS is stiring kids interest in auto racing. If you let the school know where and when you will be racing I bet you could get several of the little grease puppies walking through the pits and sitting on the stands as well.
Gateway in St Louis has a very good high school class they run on Wednesdays in conjunction with some test and tune nights. I mentioned it to some people at the schools here years ago. To give kids a place to run their cars and see if they might like racing. It was a solid no way. They want nothing to do with it because of liability. If the kids want to run they can with their parents. But the schools won’t be involved in any way. They can’t form a club, have meetings at school or anything. They won’t even allow flyers to be posted with the dates of the races. So kids can do it on their own with their parents.

The young man that did most of the work on my car wanted to drive it to prom. Basically they haul the race cars and hot rods into town on a trailer about a mile from the school. And the cops lead them to the school. Then they go into prom and the parents take the cars back home. But then he hurt himself playing sports and couldn’t drive. So it didn’t happen. It was supposed to kind of his reward for all the work. He races a little now with his dad.

Last edited by Rob Petrie E395; 03-06-2023 at 05:25 PM.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 10:43 AM   #12
Doug Hoven

Liked 750 Times in 146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Petrie E395 View Post
Gateway in St Louis has a very good high school class they run on Wednesdays in conjunction with some test and tune nights. I mentioned it to some people at the schools here years ago. To give kids a place to run their cars and see if they might like racing. It was a solid no way. They want nothing to do with it because of liability. If the kids want to run they can with their parents. But the schools won’t be involved in any way. They can’t form a club, have meetings at school or anything. They won’t even allow flyers to be posted with the dates of the races. So kids can do it on their own with their parents.

The young man that did most of the work on my car wanted to drive it to prom. Basically they haul the race cars and hot rods into town on a trailer about a mile from the school. And the cops lead them to the school. Then they go into prom and the parents take the cars back home. But then he hurt himself playing sports and couldn’t drive. So it didn’t happen. It was supposed to kind of his reward for all the work. He races a little now with his dad.
The High School classes used to be a big thing in the Northeast from what I was told. When I turned 17, in 2020, the only track left in Div 1 that seemed to do it was Atco. I went to the few races they had, and it was very good fun. I was running my 83 5.0 5spd mustang, and on the first race day, what comes through the gate? Another kid my age with an 86 5.0 5spd mustang. After the end of that season, there hasn't been any High School races at atco since. But, by the end of that year, I pretty much started my head first dive into Stock Eliminator racing anyway.

Last edited by Doug Hoven; 03-10-2023 at 10:49 AM.
Doug Hoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 12:26 AM   #13
goinbroke2

Liked 173 Times in 59 Posts

Not sure about other provinces in Canada, but in New Brunswick, high school kids at several schools compete in what was called "school boy competition". (new name now since I raced in it in 81-83)

My kid ran Juniors for 7 years and then moved on to a bracket car so even though we were in Nova Scotia, I got permission from the school to run magnetic decals of the school mascot. Went to Miramichi NB and got 3rd place. Then covid hit.....

So yes, here in 3 of the Maritime provinces, the schools support students racing and building cars in the auto department.

(great idea about getting the car painted!! Have a high school and tech school nearby)

Last edited by goinbroke2; 09-13-2023 at 12:29 AM.
goinbroke2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 12:21 PM   #14
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

How is this project coming?
Old 09-15-2023, 09:25 PM   #15
David Lee
VIP Member

Liked 246 Times in 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
How is this project coming?
health problems (back) and family problems have slowed it down.
David Lee is online now   Reply With Quote