HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech

Old 12-14-2022, 03:52 PM   #11
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts
Default Re: Head And Neck Restraints

I hope it isn't quite that black-and-white.

I don't currently wear one, but in the dragster I wouldn't mind it.

My S/ST car is slow enough that I don't need to wear gloves or a neck collar currently. I'm all in favor of safety, but limited movement would increase the degree of difficulty of driving by a considerable amount.
Old 12-15-2022, 09:10 PM   #12
Average Joe

Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts

Yes, they need to be recertified. Just like you can’t use an expired SFI-15 firesuit in the super classes. I just had necksgen recert mine. Super easy and fast, print the form from their website and go.
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 12:06 PM   #13
SST159

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

I purchased a Hanns 3 several years ago and have been using it on and off to get used to it. Yes I did have it re certified last year which I used a company out of NJ only because they were closer to me. The process is very similar to re certifying belts. Be sure when you have it re certified, you tell them what size tether you want. They come in different lengths. The only thing I do not like about the Hanns 3 is the belts do not fit nicely on the shoulder. It seams they are designed to fit 2" belts and not 3" belts. One thing I am not sure of and perhaps someone could clarify is the head sock vs the helmet skirt spec. I personally do not want to use the head sock therefore I am looking into using the Velcro attached helmet skirt. The way I read the spec is not clear to me in the NHRA rule book. I read it as SFI 3.3 which is confusing because what is available is 3.3/5 and 3.3/10. Can I use a 2 layer SFI 3.3/5 helmet skirt or does it have to be a 3.3/10 which I believe is 3 layer. Both are available. Next question is if anyone uses the helmet skirt is it recommended to use a standard style or is it better to get the tapered style? The tapered style has less fabric to stuff in your suite.
Appreciate any input.
Old 12-16-2022, 05:18 PM   #14
BKSG1198
VIP Member

Liked 971 Times in 296 Posts

Been wearing one for over 10 years now, I watched Tom Giordano crash at Atco at the LODRS race and eventually pass away weeks later from his injuries. That Christmas I went to my Parents and had them both buy me a JEGS GC so I could buy one, when I realized you need to be fitted with the Safety Solutions one, I asked Jeff Kundratic if he would be willing to honor my gift cards and I'd pay the difference which he did. Jeff came down and spent 2 hours fitting me in the car, making sure everything was where I wanted it to be. Our car with the Funny Car Cage is a little bit of a PITA to be able to hook the clips once your strapped in. I still have the same one, been upgraded and re-certified twice now but, wouldn't get into a car without one.

My only complaint with the whole thing is if we're going to make it for the Super Classes, you need to make it for all the bracket / index classes also. I say this because I deal with it on a regular basis, you have racers who run 10.00 index at the local Index Series events, they are not enforced to run a 3 pants / suit, diaper / belly pan...so when they come and run a local series like mine I get the pushback of I run 10.00 index here on a regular basis and it's not required, why at 10.90 it is...and yes I know some rules are based on speed. Just like the gray area with TD / TS and Advance ET Lic that I get. You need a TD / TS license to run that class which requires the 15 suit, fire ext, etc but, you can get an advanced ET License for 7.50 and slower and don't have to have that stuff. I get it, a lot of racers are sticks in the mud when it comes to safety, I've been racing for 40 years and nothing has happened, why do I need it now.....I got one that lives downstairs but, like Tom said after seeing Will's crash at Cecil, I think we all need to re-think our safety.
BKSG1198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 06:31 PM   #15
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,635 Times in 517 Posts

Well, whatever they decide they need to do it soon! like many others. I am starting off with another car. I need to buy another helmet and neck collar, was going to get my wife to get me that for Christmas but seeing this I’m going to hold off to find out what happens,
it’s like waiting for the Contingency list to come out, I still have a lot of stuff to buy, but want to make sure I buy from companies that pay!
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 09:20 AM   #16
SGSST109E

Liked 124 Times in 58 Posts

The z tech hans device by zamp racing pays. Its adjustable and reasonable.
SGSST109E is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-23-2022, 12:42 PM   #17
Dave Bergfeldt

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

I've been using a NECKSGEN for 8 yrs, it's light weight, compact, can be put on in the car with ease in seconds, even with a funny car cage, limits side to side a bit but not enough to be a problem, recert is fast and easy with their on line form, I did go with the longer tethers when recerted which made it easier for removal, I use a head sock which also helps with keeping the helmet dry on hot days!
Liked
Old 12-28-2022, 09:13 PM   #18
voltdr

Liked 87 Times in 47 Posts

[QUOTE=63corvette;672260]I have been using a Necksgen since 2013 when a friend died in a on track crash with a snapped neck.
All the head and neck restraints are much better than a neck collar which is really designed as a collar to protect from a fire.
My question is the head and neck restraint with a 5 year sfi tag required to be re-certified if the restraint is not required by the class rules you participate in?
I can not find a definite answer in the rule book.
I have been told anything with a sfi tag must be re-certified once the tag runs out by a tech person with NHRA.
I have also been told by a Division Tech Director if it is not required by the class it does not need re-certified.
Most of the racers I talk to goes with it does not like the Division Tech Director.
I just do not want be disqualified from a race due to a Head and Neck restraint sfi being expired which is not required for the class.

According to NHRA. Yes it must be kept current.
They won't disqualify you, you just have to go back to the neck collar until you get it current.
Dan Foley]
Old 12-28-2022, 09:31 PM   #19
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,635 Times in 517 Posts

Any word on if this will be mandatory yet?
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 12:12 AM   #20
voltdr

Liked 87 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith 944 View Post
Any word on if this will be mandatory yet?
Nothing that I’ve heard. I think by 2024. But that’s just me.
Dan